WUSTL MA in Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Comet208

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone ,

I just wanted to see what everyone thinks of Masters of Arts in Biology at Washington University in St. Louis. I know the school is very respectable, but does it reflect on its master program too? the program is a 30 cr part-time non-thesis evening program (Wash U has no full-time master program, only PhD) but i have been given permission to take day grad courses and finish in a year. I am very excited about the program but do you guys forsee someone getting into a dental school after having completed this program??

here is the link:
http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~ucollege/graduate_biology.html

~Comet

Members don't see this ad.

an MA in biology? I thought sciences were MS?
Are you sure this is hard biology? or are the classes like "Intersection of biology and anthropology?"

Congratulations! Wash U is a fantastic school, you'll be well trained and prepared for whatever the next step for you may be.

Just looking at the link, it looks very much like the BU MA in Medical Sciences/Arts, just without the thesis requirement. It doesnt look to be be associated with the med school either. Regardless, it seems to be in that league, similar to BU, Tulane, and Barry U's one year masters programs. Do well here and you'll go far. Thanks for the info :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
CaptainJack02 said:
an MA in biology? I thought sciences were MS?
Are you sure this is hard biology? or are the classes like "Intersection of biology and anthropology?"

From their webpage: "Students seeking the Master of Arts in Biology must satisfactorily complete 30 units of graduate work in the biological sciences in courses approved by the Program Committee."
and all the available courses are biology courses. in fact, the program is more of a molecular bio!
Most master programs in biology are under "Master of Art", why? i dont know but even the BU program is called Master of Arts in medical scineces. Maybe b/c this all falls under College of Arts and Sciences.

ah, ic. i definitely echo what scooter(whatsup bro!) has said wash u is an amazing school and congrats are certainly in order. i was just confused about ma vs. ms.

good luck!

Comet208 said:
From their webpage: "Students seeking the Master of Arts in Biology must satisfactorily complete 30 units of graduate work in the biological sciences in courses approved by the Program Committee."
and all the available courses are biology courses. in fact, the program is more of a molecular bio!
Most master programs in biology are under "Master of Art", why? i dont know but even the BU program is called Master of Arts in medical scineces. Maybe b/c this all falls under College of Arts and Sciences.

Ahoy Captain Jack! Hope things are well in your neck of the woods.

MA vs. MS. I think it has to do with the thesis requirement that distinguishes the MS versus an MA.