WUHS in the news

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hurt

Nor Cal Psych R2
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am posting this article for several reasons. First, I wanted to post this article before some doom and gloom naysayer posts the article along with comments about the end of COMP and the world as we know it. Secondly, I hope to spark intelligent, adult discussion about the issue. Lastly, I hope that future COMP students and applicants can read the article and draw thier own conclusions.

My opinion about this article is that the truth will eventually rise to the top. If Pumerantz is guilty of violating state or federal laws, he should step down as the President. I don't feel that the future of the university is in jeopardy. I believe that Western University will continue to produce well trained health care professionals as it has for 25 years. My only concern is that the reputation of Western may take a hit, but I am certain that the university is strong enough to survive. I believe that a medical schools reputation is not about the administration, but built on the performance of its students out in the clinics and hospitals. After spending the last year working with other students from Loma Linda, USC, UCI and others, I am convinced that COMP students perform at the same level or better than many of the students from other so called "prestigious" institutions.

http://www.dailybulletin.com/Stories/0,1413,203%7E21481%7E1438337,00.html

Members don't see this ad.

This article is only going to provide COMP rejects, fuel for flame threads. On the bright side, hopefully there will be less out -of-state applicants clogging up the freeways!

Since it is inevitable that the word has been getting out about COMP's reputation, I might as well share how many of us feel about the situation. If you do go back to all the posts about COMP, you will notice that we started 2 really long threads from the DO Class of 2005. Browsing back to those threads, I have seen the transformation from "happy enthusiastic med students" to "why did I come here, are we in Kansas anymore" attitudes. True, there are many threads about COMP, many dealing with the same issues over and over and over again. Some may be exaggerated, and others closer to the truth. The fact of the matter is, that with all this publicity, COMP will surely get a "bad wrap". As a 1st year med student 2 years ago, I actively answered many and all the questions incoming students had as they toured the campus. The attitudes ranged from "I love this school because so and so said this about it..." to "I wouldn't come here unless this is the only school I get accepted to..." This year, I noticed the same attitude for the prospective 2007 students. It is unfortunate to hear that a school I will be graduating from is getting a bad reputation. Colleagues and classmates alike are just hoping to get through all this, mostly remaining quiet and hoping things will get better. Our class in general appears to ignore the current issues because many of us are used to all the issues/drama at COMP that we have had to endure. To us, it's just another routine. Is there an advantage to all this? Maybe. If any premeds do consider applying here ask yourself a few questions. Do you consider yourself a strong person? a go getter? an independent learner? If you answered yes to all these questions, then these issues shouldn't even concern you because you'll do just fine here at COMP. This school is definitely not for the weak at heart. You will get worked. You will get tired. You may even complain. But the bottom line, when you've gone through it all, you will still be a DO!

Some of you might be concerned about COMP's future. I can't really answer that question for you...even I myself do not know anything for sure. What I do know is that COMP, the dean and it's faculty, are working very hard to make COMP a better place for both themselves and the students. I'm not hear to convince you all to apply to COMP, b/c as I said earlier, this school is not for everyone. I'm just here to relieve the tension and "exaggerated rumors" that may be spreading on these message boards. I can't necessarily blame the posters for posting all these negative comments about COMP, I just hope they channel that energy into improving COMP in any way that they can. As for all my colleagues out there, the best that we can do now is show them that we're competent, capable, and caring student physicians as we rotate from one hospital to the next. Peace.

Rob C.
OMS-III
College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific

P.S. If there are any questions any of you may not feel comfortable in asking on this public forum, just PM me and I can answer them for you.