WUCPM Class of 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MAD SCI3NTIST

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to meeting my future classmates. Where is everyone?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm here. Wooo!

I'm excited to meet all of you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Checking in! Cant wait to meet all of you.

So where is everyone from?

Happy New Year!

I'm from Orange County down in Southern California. Hope everyone is making great use of their time before all the studying begins in the Fall!

New York. I can't wait to lose the snow tires.

Reactions: 1 user
Currently in Utah right now. After experiencing single digit temps, I can no longer complain about being cold in SoCal.

Haha Living in Utah should have taught you it's indecent to complain about being cold in SoCal. Ever.

I was just staying there for a couple of nights, but I definitely understand what cold REALLY feels like :scared:. While on the way to Nevada, my SO noticed that the temp was going to be ~50 degrees and was relieved that it was going to be warm! :laugh:

Anyone reserve a spot to attend the Global Diabetic Foot Conference in Hollywood? WesternU sent an email about it yesterday.

Hey, Just found this thread and am curious to know, how long was it before you heard from Western after sending in your application? Cause I have heard from some students it can take a while. Thanks in advance!

My brother is prepping his application, so i thought I would check from some of you students who have already been accepted into the Podiatry program.

Members don't see this ad :)
After my application was verified from AACPMAS, it took a few days for a confirmation email that Western had received my application. About a week later, admissions called to schedule an interview.

To compare, other schools sent an interview invite one or two days after verification. The timing might be a little different now later in the cycle. Good luck to your brother!!

Last edited:
Awesome Biomechanix, thanks for the info! You will love Western. I'm actually a first-year in the optometry program here and so far it's been the greatest thing ever

Hey, Just found this thread and am curious to know, how long was it before you heard from Western after sending in your application? Cause I have heard from some students it can take a while. Thanks in advance!

My experience was somewhat similar: I received a confirmation email after one week and an interview invitation six days later. Best of luck to your brother, kdiddy.

I'll be at WesternU in the fall as well! Can't wait to get started and meet everyone

Hi Everyone,
I was just wondering how soon after your interview did you get an acceptance letter? I have my interview this week.

Hi, I'll be there too this fall.
Dolly, I got my acceptance email 1 to 2 days after the interview.

count me in too :). anyone will live in the Daumier?

I was thinking about getting an apartment in the surrounding cities with 15 min or less total commute time like ontario, claremont, montclair or la verne. The Daumier seems extremely convenient being right on campus and all, but I think I'd like to have some separation between home and school when things get crazy.

Hi Everyone,
I was just wondering how soon after your interview did you get an acceptance letter? I have my interview this week.

I received an acceptance letter a week after my interview. At the time, it felt much longer! Good luck!!

Hi Everyone,

I received an acceptance email two days after the interview, but my letter didn't arrive until about three weeks later. It depends on your proximity to the school. Best of luck at your interview!

Thank you everyone for your feed back!!! I just got an acceptance email today!!!!! I'm super excited

Hello Buddies, I just got my acceptance!!!!

I'm from Saint Louis and am looking forward to meetin all y'all!

Where are some good, cheap, and secure places to stay at around WU?

Hello Buddies, I just got my acceptance!!!!

I'm from Saint Louis and am looking forward to meetin all y'all!

Where are some good, cheap, and secure places to stay at around WU?

Congrats !!!!! A lot of student live around Chino Hills and Claremont. Both cities are nicer, safer, and have many restaurants and shopping. Both are really close to campus.

-dolly

Hi everyone, I just submitted my application to AACPMAS this week. About how long does it usually take to be verified? Also, for those of you who've interviewed or been accepted did you get a sense of how full the class might be at this point?
I really hope to get in this year. don't know if its too late already

Hi everyone, I just submitted my application to AACPMAS this week. About how long does it usually take to be verified? Also, for those of you who've interviewed or been accepted did you get a sense of how full the class might be at this point?

It took about a week for my stuff to get verified in January. I started hearing back from schools the first day I was verified; western invited me 3-5 days after I was verified.
Class doesn't seem full but I've read that people have gotten waitlisted or straight up rejected.
Also it's priority till April 1st.
I had a interview at CSPM in the bay but got a email few days ago saying that their class is full and that I would be interviewing for their waitlist- regardless I rather go to WU with Dr. Harkless.
I heard back 2 working days about my acceptance after my interview!

Best of Luck!!!

Congrats to you all! Hey guys what do you think my chances would be to get in if I apply in august?
Science gpa 3.05
Cumulative gpa 3.45

Mcat scheduled (lets say I score average). Stromg upward trend, gpa being pulled down because of 2Ds,4 Cs in ochem/bio( have retaken everything postbacc with A's) during freshman/sophmore year. After that my gpa has been 3.8 for junior,senior and post bacc.

Like PlantarHammerBunion, it took about a week for verification and another week for interview invite via phone call. You should definitely call admissions office to check how full the class is at this point. They are very friendly! Good luck and hope to meet you in August!

Congrats to you all! Hey guys what do you think my chances would be to get in if I apply in august?
Science gpa 3.05
Cumulative gpa 3.45

Mcat scheduled (lets say I score average). Stromg upward trend, gpa being pulled down because of 2Ds,4 Cs in ochem/bio( have retaken everything postbacc with A's) during freshman/sophmore year. After that my gpa has been 3.8 for junior,senior and post bacc.

I think you have a good shot. Your sGPA is below average, but the high post bacc GPA certainly helps! Focus on that MCAT, aim to score higher than avg to balance out the GPA and you should be golden. Oh...and shadow! :)

I think you have a good shot. Your sGPA is below average, but the high post bacc GPA certainly helps! Focus on that MCAT, aim to score higher than avg to balance out the GPA and you should be golden. Oh...and shadow! :)
Thanks man! Enjoy it, I have a relative in their DO program and they absolutely love the campus/staff. Im just worried about thise ugly Ds and Cs from a few years back. Yoy really think my one year of bost bacc (40 units) science classes with all As will override that? SUPER NERVOUS/EXCITED.

Awesome! I had a relative that graduated pharmacy ~10 years ago from Western. I fell in love with the school and especially the staff a few years ago when I was looking into other careers like pharm and pt (no idea what I wanted to do back then).

Admissions will definitely look at everything and of course they will see that you performed well on your post bacc despite those mishaps in your academic profile. Focus on your MCAT and get the best score you can. Your application will get you the interview and the interview will get you a seat. The interview will be closed file so as long as you have decent interpersonal communication skills, you should be okay.

Science gpa 3.05
Cumulative gpa 3.45

You should do really well on MCAT; try to get a high verbal. However I can't speak for the new exam and how they'll view new applicants for next year cycle because of test change.

When I did my interview, Dr. Shapiro had specific questions catered to my profile; one was why was my verbal reasoning score low?; second was why did I attend so many different colleges to get my degree ( just a lot of transfer credits and visiting student credits).

Hey everyone, congratulations on getting in to Western! I am a 3rd year student currently, so if any of you have any questions I am always more than happy to try to help. As far as living goes, I would say it depends on your preference and living situation. Many students with families lived outside of Pomona, in Chino Hills, Upland, Claremont areas. There is new housing options on campus that were not there when I started, but if you like to roll out of bed and walk to lectures, those may be a good option.

Hey everyone, congratulations on getting in to Western! I am a 3rd year student currently, so if any of you have any questions I am always more than happy to try to help. As far as living goes, I would say it depends on your preference and living situation. Many students with families lived outside of Pomona, in Chino Hills, Upland, Claremont areas. There is new housing options on campus that were not there when I started, but if you like to roll out of bed and walk to lectures, those may be a good option.

Hey PLIC. I realize it's been a few years since you've been there, but can you give us an idea of what will be on the books and supplies list for first semester? I would prefer to start shopping around sooner than later. Thanks!

Thanks so much for doing this!

On the topic of books, are most or all of the books available in a digital ebook format for a reduced price?

Are the notes in some classes sufficient enough to do well without the use of the required textbooks?

Some members have suggested getting an ipad mini as a convenient way to quickly access notes. What is your take on this? I'm thinking about getting one as a supplement to my old, but still functioning laptop or investing in the Surface pro.

Hey PLIC. I realize it's been a few years since you've been there, but can you give us an idea of what will be on the books and supplies list for first semester? I would prefer to start shopping around sooner than later. Thanks!

AS far as supplies go, you are going to need a stethoscope and some medical equipment when you get there. I would recommend a good quality stethoscope that you can use for some time. I just ordered the rest of my equipment off of amazon, I wouldn't recommend spending a lot of money on it, you will use it during the 1st 2 years, but once you get in to clinics you will not need them any more. Here is a link so you can get an idea of what equipment you will need, this is the one that I ordered:

Amazon product

As far as books go, I would not recommend buying a bunch of books before classes start. Most students find that you don't have time to both study the lectures and read the books. During classes, typically students use books more for a resource if they don't understand certain topics rather than read them from front to back. If you would really want to buy a book, you could consider buying Netter's anatomy atlas. Hope this helps a bit

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks so much for doing this!

On the topic of books, are most or all of the books available in a digital ebook format for a reduced price?

Are the notes in some classes sufficient enough to do well without the use of the required textbooks?

Some members have suggested getting an ipad mini as a convenient way to quickly access notes. What is your take on this? I'm thinking about getting one as a supplement to my old, but still functioning laptop or investing in the Surface pro.

Most students find that there simply is not enough time to study the lectures and notes and read books from front to back. Many of the books that are typically used have an ebook format, I would not recommend buying books until classes start, unless you know for sure that you are the type that has to read a book in order to learn. The class notes and lectures are typically sufficient, occasionally it is nice to have a textbook to get more information about certain topics if you need it.

I had an honestly have not used my iPad until clinical years, where it is nice to have a tablet in your pocket to read when you get a chance. For the first 2 years, everyone learns differently, so it is important for you to be honest with yourself and know what you need to learn. For me personally, I had to hand write all of my notes in order to retain the information, but many students were able to write notes on computers/tablets and did just fine. Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm considering the SMSPP program. Anatomy seems to be a huge hurdle for many people and the review seems like it could help smooth the transition back to school. I believe you can contact Annica and she will direct you to the right people.

PHB: Dagmar Cofer ([email protected]) or Martha Ruelas ([email protected]) are good contacts for the SMSPP. I am not sure about ISAC. Did you receive the email from admissions yesterday regarding SMSPP registration? Check your WesternU account.

Biomechanix: Yeah, seems like a great introduction to the material before classes start. Have you been out of school for a while?

It'll be about 8 months come August, but it feels a lot longer though. How about yourself?

It's been several years. I'm probably overdue for a refresher

Hey ya'll,

So my bro has an interview this Tuesday at Western. Any tips or advice? I'm guessing most of the questions are behavioural style? That's how mine were for optometry. Thanks!

Hey ya'll,

So my bro has an interview this Tuesday at Western. Any tips or advice? I'm guessing most of the questions are behavioural style? That's how mine were for optometry. Thanks!

Definitely utilize the interview feedback resource on SDN. All the questions were from there. That's pretty much all I did to prepare besides looking over my application. I didn't prepare exact answers but instead I just thought of experiences in my life that would somehow relate to the questions being asked. I think the best way would be to have some key experiences in your mind going in so you can mold them depending on the questions. That way the interview would feel and flow more like a conversation between colleagues (which it did). The interview was very relaxed and the staff tries their best to ease your nerves. They just want to get to know you and the type of person you are.