WTF are you guys copying? (slightly off topic)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
^can't believe we have people in pharmacy school with that attitude. lay off people who are at least giving it their all...it's really NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS! if ya'll are such know-it-all, why don't you give these people some pointers on how to study for their classes? however, since ya'll are some conniving jerks, ya'll would rather take a field day to make fun of the way people study. i question the way ya'll live your lives. just lay off. this thread went too far. have some respect for people & their aspirations, motivation, and beliefs. part of success is having respect for other people. and trust me, people who take a lot of notes (for their benefit - as a tool for studying) do get far in life. it's apparent determination & appreciation for learning, because i can go into a classroom & listen to the lecturer...however, can the lecturer tell you're learning when they don't see you writing in your notebook? well, it's not apparent...cuz for all i know you could be looking at the wall past the lecturer. so for the final time, lay off people who have a different way of learning than yours. don't take this post on a superficial layer. take some time to think about what you've written on SDN, because believe me...there's a level of ignorance & immaturity in your posts (both mike & confetti). i dont even know if i should take ya'll seriously; you're really trolls to this board...asking for trouble.

:confused:...Whatever.

I'm not knocking anyone that writes everything down in lecture, to each its own, but I too also wonder what the hell are they writing. My professors actually type up her notes for the class, so again what the hell are they writing again LOL

At first I was second guessing myself because I was literally the only one not writing anything, but getting an A in the class without taking any notes...PRICELESS LOL

Exactly what I'm talking about. It's not like I go out of my way to look around the classroom during lecture, and then later make fun of all the people who are writing down everything. It's just strange. If I can make an A without writing down everything, it would seem that either what the lecturer is saying is already written down somewhere else (printed notes, text book, etc) or it is not being tested over.

Members don't see this ad.

Take copious amounts of notes! Or get to know someone else that does and "borrow" theirs. Write down every single thing the professor says. Even if it sounds like something lame, it may be something that might show up on a test.

I'd have to disagree with that. Taking too many notes is equivalent to not taking enough notes, because in the end you won't KNOW the material.

You have to learn to trust yourself and trust your memory, to a certain degree of course, because on the test that's all you will have. IMO if you copy everything you waste your time/focus on material you already know, thus spending less time on what you don't know.

In certain classes, i take notes (but of course not word for word) and i have like a photographic memory of where certain info is when i need to look up (like i kno i jotted something i need to look up and reaffirm for example, on the left side of my notes instead on the right and just flip through it until i find it). Other than that, i mostly don't look at the notes afterwards cuz it's all in my head by then. Mind you, this is only for certain classes (last semester it was only 1 class).

On a lighter note, in my undergrad, my orgo 1 prof would literally repeat things over year after year. I had my friend's notes from the year before and she wrote practically wrote everything down, even the jokes! The prof seriously repeated the same jokes (same format too) right at the same place in the notes when i took the class! :laugh:

I also had a bio teacher that taught two different sections. He made two different exams obviously and on our section's exam, he added something that he never mentioned in our section. After the exam, he swore that he did until a few students came forth with their notes and told him he never did. He admitted mistake and realized he only informed the other section instead of ours. So.....for those word-for-word note takers....there's a reason why they can be a good thing! They can straightened up issues like this (although its rare)

Members don't see this ad :)
Jesus said: "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". This is very true. I personally think that people have thier own way of studying. We should not judge them based on our reasons. In fact, there are not always schools that provide power points. Students may have to take note to study. If you are smart, it is your choice to not take note, but do not judge others based on your rule. I somestimes criticize people on my own reasons and I do not think it is right to do that. Have some empathy for people, and you will receive empathy from them.

i actually had a professor just today tell us(the class) that we weren't taking enough notes. he said he expected to see us writing through the entire lecture. he compared being in lecture to watching tv saying it is unlikely that we would remember each detail after just hearing it once. his recommendation was to scribble as much down as possible as a way to remind yourself of the discussion when studying later on.

i've also had professors who have said the complete opposite too. i think it's really a matter of personal preference. i write a lot down because i am better at recalling things i see rather than hear.

as someone said before... to each his own.

I take alot of notes because I'm usually bored and it's the only way to stay awake.

Seriously though- who cares?

I take alot of notes because I'm usually bored and it's the only way to stay awake.

Seriously though- who cares?

exactly. if they're not impeding your ability to learn then STFU. pay attention to the prof, not your secret crush.

People who take a lot of notes are not as annoying as those who ask a lot of questions.

yep, esp. stupid questions. this actually affects the whole class...detailed note-taking typically does not (or so I thought!)

Wow. I cant believe we're having a discussion about what people do with their "free" time during lectures. As has been mentioned several times already, to each his own. Everybody does whats best for them. Write all you want if it works for you, and dont be worried about what somebody's writing if you dont want to be writing yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering when Jesus would get quoted in this thread, hahah.

If I get bored in a lecture I'll just start playing Starcraft, CS Source, and Call of Duty 4, lol.

Why even go then? I can't stand all those idiots taking up space in class just sitting on their myspaces.....I go to a very crowded school and I just figure if you don't care to be there don't come. we are both better off then.

Why even go then? I can't stand all those idiots taking up space in class just sitting on their myspaces.....I go to a very crowded school and I just figure if you don't care to be there don't come. we are both better off then.

I like watching people sitting a few rows in front of me play World of Warcraft. It's great. :rolleyes:

Hey, if I hear something important being said, I'll alt-tab over to my notes screen and type it up, I got teh 1337 m1cro sk1llz.

Asides from that, I have Audacity running on my laptop recording the lectures.

Hey, if I hear something important being said, I'll alt-tab over to my notes screen and type it up, I got teh 1337 m1cro sk1llz.

Asides from that, I have Audacity running on my laptop recording the lectures.

I wasn't concerned about you. You're the jerk on video games. It's rude and distracting to others around and totally disrespectful to the professor. Seriously, grow up.

I wasn't concerned about you. You're the jerk on video games. It's rude and distracting to others around and totally disrespectful to the professor. Seriously, grow up.

You're not concerned about me but yet you're the one who goes flaming people about playing video games in class?

What's going on in this thread?

You're not concerned about me but yet you're the one who goes flaming people about playing video games in class?

I meant I wasn't concerned about how you take notes.

People who are that immature should not be taking up space in a college class when there are people who actually want to learn. Especially with the wait lists to get into those science classes at my school, it's just disgusting to see people who don't care taking up spots from others.

People who are that immature should not be taking up space in a college class when there are people who actually want to learn. Especially with the wait lists to get into those science classes at my school, it's just disgusting to see people who don't care taking up spots from others.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge. You can't really tell if someone is smart or stupid just by looking at what they do in class. Especually if it's an easy class.

Also I should add, no one really wants to "learn". That's not what we really go to school for but it can be a nice add on if it happens. All of school is just a rat race so society can decide where you fit in.

Some people like to write things over for memorization and reinforcement techniques. I'm sure there are some that just take notes just because they think its the right thing to do.

Me, I just sit there and stare up at the screen/board. People usually think I'm a ******* and am probably a bad student. I've noticed that people around me will protect their test from me by shielding their test or scantron. I've also noticed that some professors will give me weird stuck up looks when they see me just sitting their (I sit in the front) staring at the board. It sometimes looks as if I'm irritating them. :laugh: But that demenor changes when they call out my name during test hand-backs, look up at who is standing up, look down at the grade and then look back at me with an expression on their face that says "WTF?! You just sat there!"

Little do they now that I read the chapters a week before the class and took outlined notes of the chapter on the Sunday morning before class. I need outlines. I just can't have some random sporadic points written down.

So it's pretty pointless for me to take notes on something that is being regurgitated -- something I've already read and something that I've already written down. Hearing things being said is a reinforcement for me so that's my main reason for going class. Every now and then something will be said that isn't in the book, but I find those times to be rare. So I do sit there with a pen and notebook.

To each their own.

Also I should add, no one really wants to "learn". That's not what we really go to school for but it can be a nice add on if it happens. All of school is just a rat race so society can decide where you fit in.

What? :confused: I like learning.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge. You can't really tell if someone is smart or stupid just by looking at what they do in class. Especually if it's an easy class.

I can sort of see where he gets frustrated though. Last year, when I tried to enroll in an advanced organic chemistry class, it was already full. I had to stand by the computer 24/7 and wait till a open spot appeared. In the end I did get the spot. The thing is, when I saw some of my lab mates, I knew they were going to drop... and three out of 10 did. It angers me that these b@stards could've stopped me from getting an education while they don't even take their own education seriously.

Some people like to write things over for memorization and reinforcement techniques. I'm sure there are some that just take notes just because they think its the right thing to do.

Me, I just sit there and stare up at the screen/board. People usually think I'm a ******* and am probably a bad student. I've noticed that people around me will protect their test from me by shielding their test or scantron. I've also noticed that some professors will give me weird stuck up looks when they see me just sitting their (I sit in the front) staring at the board. It sometimes looks as if I'm irritating them. :laugh: But that demenor changes when they call out my name during test hand-backs, look up at who is standing up, look down at the grade and then look back at me with an expression on their face that says "WTF?! You just sat there!"

Little do they now that I read the chapters a week before the class and took outlined notes of the chapter on the Sunday morning before class. I need outlines. I just can't have some random sporadic points written down.

So it's pretty pointless for me to take notes on something that is being regurgitated -- something I've already read and something that I've already written down. Hearing things being said is a reinforcement for me so that's my main reason for going class. Every now and then something will be said that isn't in the book, but I find those times to be rare. So I do sit there with a pen and notebook.

To each their own.

I feel exactly the same way. I take very very little notes (depends on class though) and get the feeling that my classmates think I'm an idiot. When the distribution and my marks come out, I find that I'm in the top 5% for my genetics class and top 10 in my chemical instrumental analysis class...

I can sort of see where he gets frustrated though. Last year, when I tried to enroll in an advanced organic chemistry class, it was already full. I had to stand by the computer 24/7 and wait till a open spot appeared. In the end I did get the spot. The thing is, when I saw some of my lab mates, I knew they were going to drop... and three out of 10 did. It angers me that these b@stards could've stopped me from getting an education while they don't even take their own education seriously.

I feel exactly the same way. I take very very little notes (depends on class though) and get the feeling that my classmates think I'm an idiot. When the distribution and my marks come out, I find that I'm in the top 5% for my genetics class and top 10 in my chemical instrumental analysis class...

I agree actually. O made no comment on the caliber of student, just the very action of playing video games in a classroom is childish and necessary. I believe those people should not even come. Everyone learns differently, some with notes, outlines, recordings, etc. But that is all irrelevant. People who cannot be bothered to even pretend to care about the material shouldn't be there.

As far as no one wants to learn, I totally disagree. I didn't wind up with three majors for no reason. Some of us are in school to learn, albeit a very small number of us. I don't feel like a "rat race" at all. I chose my area of study and I start in the Fall researching a topic of my interest. I couldn't be a researcher if I didn't want to learn.

And to OChemTa "she" :D And I totally agree.

To each their own.

That's exactly me right there except I don't really write down the outlines...bad ass post man.:thumbup:

What? :confused: I like learning.

I should've rephrased my post, I meant to say learning is not the main reason we go to school.

At the end of the day it's marks>learning (obviously better to have both), I'm sure none of you would disagree with this. In some classes I actually find the material interesting and this definitley makes learning it easier but the point of taking the class is mainly to get the highest mark you can.

Perhaps once you get into pharmacy school, then it'll be a bit different because you will actually need to know that stuff even after the class is over. However for now, it's nothing more than a numbers game.

Last edited:
In my microbiology class they had TA's that watch for the non-academic types of behaviors. So those kids playing Warcraft get kicked out of the class. The professor specifically said, "If you are going to play games on your laptops while you are in class, do everyone a favor and don't come." You might be able to not take notes and get by and that's great for you. However it is DISTRACTING to other kids to have to sit there watching someone in front of them playing WoW. It's not about how YOU are capable of learning, it's about the 100 other kids in there trying to pay attention.

Personally I think you should just Death Coil yourself right out of class, but that's just me.

Yeah, leave the copiers alone!! What have they ever done to you non-copying people??

I should've rephrased my post, I meant to say learning is not the main reason we go to school.

At the end of the day it's marks>learning (obviously better to have both), I'm sure none of you would disagree with this. In some classes I actually find the material interesting and this definitley makes learning it easier but the point of taking the class is mainly to get the highest mark you can.

Perhaps once you get into pharmacy school, then it'll be a bit different because you will actually need to know that stuff even after the class is over. However for now, it's nothing more than a numbers game.

I guess I have a different perspective, because I did not start (or finish) undergrad with the intent of getting into pharmacy school. I decided that after I had already been working with my degree for a couple of years.

can say that, as a P2, grades are definitely not my priority. If I think the class is interesting, I will learn the material and do well. Otherwise, I am not interested in my letter grade.

Umm, right if you didn't notice my status on the left hand corner, I'm already in pharmacy school. And the last semester of undergraduate I had no grade less than a B while playing video games in class. Pharmacy school, there isn't much time to play video games so get most of your gaming done in undergrad.

Umm, right if you didn't notice my status on the left hand corner, I'm already in pharmacy school. And the last semester of undergraduate I had no grade less than a B while playing video games in class. Pharmacy school, there isn't much time to play video games so get most of your gaming done in undergrad.

Playing video game in the class is not a right thing to do. Since it disrespect your teacher and your peer. Imagine how you feel when your friends look away while you are talking to them.

Last edited:
Playing video game in the class is not a right thing to do. Since it disrespect your teacher and your peer. Imagine how you feel when your friend look away while you are talking to you.

They make medicine for that.

In my microbiology class they had TA's that watch for the non-academic types of behaviors. So those kids playing Warcraft get kicked out of the class. The professor specifically said, "If you are going to play games on your laptops while you are in class, do everyone a favor and don't come." You might be able to not take notes and get by and that's great for you. However it is DISTRACTING to other kids to have to sit there watching someone in front of them playing WoW. It's not about how YOU are capable of learning, it's about the 100 other kids in there trying to pay attention.

Personally I think you should just Death Coil yourself right out of class, but that's just me.

Please read.

Yes, fantastic, pharmacy school, yada yada...but apparently you cannot read. I said NOTHING at all about your academic abilities. I said it's IMMATURE, RUDE, and DISRESPECTFUL to be playing video games in a class people are paying to be in. :idea:

Getting good grades does not make you any less an immature douchebage...some food for thought...:thumbup::thumbup:

Wow...:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

On that note, perhaps this thread should be closed. It's complete nonsense now.