WSU (Washington State) C/O 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also. I'm very curious about you being in prison. I mean. Like real prison??? I'm being nosy. Sorry. Just intriguing.

Yes! Like, real prison! I'm staring at razor wire while I speak...

Though, as a contract employee. Not an inmate. They let me leave at the end of the work day unless we have a lockdown for some reason. Perhaps I should have clarified.

I've been working for a non-profit organization contracted by the state of washington department of corrections. I run a program that trains rescue dogs as companion pets and service dogs for individuals with disabilities. So, my days are spent supervising inmate obedience and service dog trainers and teaching classes as well as developing the breeding program, finding rescue dogs and all the boring administrative stuff that goes with it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
was just being nosey in the threads. But we share the same birthday!

And, I'm exactly a week before Christmas! So, I share the misery!

I used to be annoyed that they were often combined. But, then I started to realize I could ask for bigger gifts than I could have for the individual events. Like new instruments and such!

Reactions: 1 users
Yes! Like, real prison! I'm staring at razor wire while I speak...

Though, as a contract employee. Not an inmate. They let me leave at the end of the work day unless we have a lockdown for some reason. Perhaps I should have clarified.

I've been working for a non-profit organization contracted by the state of washington department of corrections. I run a program that trains rescue dogs as companion pets and service dogs for individuals with disabilities. So, my days are spent supervising inmate obedience and service dog trainers and teaching classes as well as developing the breeding program, finding rescue dogs and all the boring administrative stuff that goes with it.
That's awesome!

And here I was wondering what sorts of crimes would land you in prison but wouldn't hurt your chances of getting into vet school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, I'm looking for 1-2 other vet students to rent a house with. I have a dog and a cat that I'm bringing with me and want to secure good housing ASAP. My dog is friendly and energetic and would LOVE another dog to play with if you have one. My cat is the telluric devil, but she is pretty harmless and still a baby. She gets along fine with my dog and with introduction should be fine with any other animal. I've found a few houses/apts I'm interested in, so if anyone wants to chat, send me a message or reply!! :)

Hi guys, I'm looking for 1-2 other vet students to rent a house with. I have a dog and a cat that I'm bringing with me and want to secure good housing ASAP. My dog is friendly and energetic and would LOVE another dog to play with if you have one. My cat is the telluric devil, but she is pretty harmless and still a baby. She gets along fine with my dog and with introduction should be fine with any other animal. I've found a few houses/apts I'm interested in, so if anyone wants to chat, send me a message or reply!! :)
I would join the CVM classifieds facebook page. There have been a ton of posts looking for roomates lately.

Lol I think I saw your post. You're welcome!

Hi! I'm trying to figure out a semi-accurate budget for the schools I am deciding between and have a question for anyone familiar with the tuition costs over the recent years at WSU. I found this website showing the tuition over the years at WSU. https://budget.wsu.edu/tuition-and-fees/ It looks like tuition for the most part has remained pretty steady in the recent years. It shows in-state tuition being $20,914 for the 2011-2012 year and $22,390 for the 2016-2017 year. That's only a 7% increase in those five years. A lot of schools have been increasing by that much if not more every year. Do you feel that is pretty standard for WSU to keep their tuition fairly constant every year?

I visited Pullman earlier this week and everybody was very friendly! I'm still finalizing my decision, but I will probably end up here. Looking forward to meeting you all :happy:

Yay! I'm very much looking forward to meeting everyone here, too. Can't wait for team building shenanigans in August!

As an incoming will-be-formally-employed-adult student, I just realized that health insurance is going to be an issue. From what I understand from Rebecca at WSU, there is no health insurance plan at WSU we can buy into.

I realize that many of my classmates will be able to stay on their parents' plan but, especially for the handful of current or past students around, do any of you have insights into what options students have pursued?

As an incoming will-be-formally-employed-adult student, I just realized that health insurance is going to be an issue. From what I understand from Rebecca at WSU, there is no health insurance plan at WSU we can buy into.

I realize that many of my classmates will be able to stay on their parents' plan but, especially for the handful of current or past students around, do any of you have insights into what options students have pursued?
The school doesn't have insurance because you can get insurance through the state through the ACA. It'll be the cheapest option. If you're OOS and not planning on changing residency I believe you can still use the WA one. Some WICHE people I know are on the WA one instead of their home state.

The school doesn't have insurance because you can get insurance through the state through the ACA. It'll be the cheapest option. If you're OOS and not planning on changing residency I believe you can still use the WA one. Some WICHE people I know are on the WA one instead of their home state.

Good to know! My workplace insurance has prevented me from worrying about whether we're under the ACA expansions. I'll look into that. Hopefully, that doesn't change!

Good to know! My workplace insurance has prevented me from worrying about whether we're under the ACA expansions. I'll look into that. Hopefully, that doesn't change!
A friend spoke with the school before and they said if the ACA was to go away the school would go back to offering insurance plans for the professional students. ACA is just cheaper than the school had before, which is why they don't offer it currently

A friend spoke with the school before and they said if the ACA was to go away the school would go back to offering insurance plans for the professional students. ACA is just cheaper than the school had before, which is why they don't offer it currently

That is a relief! Who knew health insurance would be so complicated?

So, I have used this forum when I was applying to med school and am asking a question for my gf who is applying to vet schools. Since she applied to WSU I thought I would post here first but I can take it down and post it if there is a more appropriate thread.

She has applied to WSU the last two cycles and got waitlisted both times. She did the folder review after the first time and got some good feedback about her app and it seems like she did everything they asked her to improve/change. She applied for her second time this last cycle and got waitlisted again. When she tried to schedule a folder review this year they told her there were no more available time slots. In the email it didn't seem like it was a limited opportunity to get feedback on her application it just said to request one before April 4th if you would like one.

The three feedback points she got after her first application was she needed more vet hours, GPA was OK but could be made more competitive by getting a masters or taking 400 level science classes, and add in all high school extracurriculars. So last year she took three 400 level science classes while maintaining her work schedule and got all A's. She also worked at her job as a vet assistant at a veterinary hospital for two years. Then listing all of her high school extracurriculars was kind of tedious but she had a lot since she was pretty involved in student leadership, sports, and volunteering.

At this point its just kind of confusing because without a new folder review its hard to know what she could do to strengthen her app. And kind of frustrating honestly since the folder review wasn't explained as a limited opportunity sort of thing.

I can post more details about her application if needed but would really appreciate any thoughts on her situation at this point. Thanks!

So, I have used this forum when I was applying to med school and am asking a question for my gf who is applying to vet schools. Since she applied to WSU I thought I would post here first but I can take it down and post it if there is a more appropriate thread.

She has applied to WSU the last two cycles and got waitlisted both times. She did the folder review after the first time and got some good feedback about her app and it seems like she did everything they asked her to improve/change. She applied for her second time this last cycle and got waitlisted again. When she tried to schedule a folder review this year they told her there were no more available time slots. In the email it didn't seem like it was a limited opportunity to get feedback on her application it just said to request one before April 4th if you would like one.

The three feedback points she got after her first application was she needed more vet hours, GPA was OK but could be made more competitive by getting a masters or taking 400 level science classes, and add in all high school extracurriculars. So last year she took three 400 level science classes while maintaining her work schedule and got all A's. She also worked at her job as a vet assistant at a veterinary hospital for two years. Then listing all of her high school extracurriculars was kind of tedious but she had a lot since she was pretty involved in student leadership, sports, and volunteering.

At this point its just kind of confusing because without a new folder review its hard to know what she could do to strengthen her app. And kind of frustrating honestly since the folder review wasn't explained as a limited opportunity sort of thing.

I can post more details about her application if needed but would really appreciate any thoughts on her situation at this point. Thanks!

I would suggest posting this and some more details about her application in the "What are my chances" thread that is stickied at the top of this forum. Things like GPA, GRE, vet experience, etc. IS vs OOS matters as well. That's probably a better place than here because more people will see your post and offer advice. Best of luck to her for getting off the waitlist :)

I would suggest posting this and some more details about her application in the "What are my chances" thread that is stickied at the top of this forum. Things like GPA, GRE, vet experience, etc. IS vs OOS matters as well. That's probably a better place than here because more people will see your post and offer advice. Best of luck to her for getting off the waitlist :)

Thanks, will do! Do you have any thoughts about the file review situation specifically for WSU?

Well, on Monday of this week, I got an email offering me admission to the Logan site! It was shocking and unreal, and I cried...but then reality kind of sunk in and I realized I was more worried about the debt than I realized. I spent all week crunching the numbers with my SO, looking at every possible payment plan, talking to doctors...I'm kind of OCD like that. Some people were saying, "If it's your dream, you should do it, even though it's scary." But others understood the debt burden vets take on, and kind of just supported me in whatever I decided. I hate to say this. It's been a dream since I was 12, and I'm 30 now. But OOS tuition for all 4 years, plus graduate school debt I have now, would leave me with 400k in loans by the time I graduated at 34 (tuition, living expenses, compound interest). Even on a payment plan of some sort, I would be paying this off until I died.

I didn't expect the offer, so I had put into motion plans for a career-change anyway. I don't know if I'd be as passionate about it as vet school, but it's worth exploring, and my work would pay for it. I'm trying to look at all the positives I've got going for me, but I'll admit, this week has been rough and I've had mood swings about it. I know it's the right decision though. Sorry for the rambling. I had to get it off my chest. I hope my spot goes to someone who deserves it!

Reactions: 2 users
Well, on Monday of this week, I got an email offering me admission to the Logan site! It was shocking and unreal, and I cried...but then reality kind of sunk in and I realized I was more worried about the debt than I realized. I spent all week crunching the numbers with my SO, looking at every possible payment plan, talking to doctors...I'm kind of OCD like that. Some people were saying, "If it's your dream, you should do it, even though it's scary." But others understood the debt burden vets take on, and kind of just supported me in whatever I decided. I hate to say this. It's been a dream since I was 12, and I'm 30 now. But OOS tuition for all 4 years, plus graduate school debt I have now, would leave me with 400k in loans by the time I graduated at 34 (tuition, living expenses, compound interest). Even on a payment plan of some sort, I would be paying this off until I died.

I didn't expect the offer, so I had put into motion plans for a career-change anyway. I don't know if I'd be as passionate about it as vet school, but it's worth exploring, and my work would pay for it. I'm trying to look at all the positives I've got going for me, but I'll admit, this week has been rough and I've had mood swings about it. I know it's the right decision though. Sorry for the rambling. I had to get it off my chest. I hope my spot goes to someone who deserves it!

It was a huge relief when I decided to put aside vet school ambitions and pursue other things instead. I didn't realize how concerned I was about the debt until I let myself seriously look into other careers, and it was a 'hey, I don't have to do this to myself?!' moment.

It's not easy, though. I still have a lot of love for vet med and if things were different I'd want to stay on this path. But there are so many awesome careers out there! I'm confident I'll be happy with wherever the next few years take me, and I wish you the same in your adventure. :)

I can definitely relate. Thank you for posting this, I thought I was the only one feeling this way.

I'm a California resident and recently interviewed at UC Davis but unfortunately was not offered admission. I was ,however, offered a position at Oregon State but after calculating the tuition + housing + loans/interests...I realized the tremendous amount of debt I'd be accumulating. It's just insane to think that we would be charged Interests for the next 30+ years. Long story short, I decided to give up my seat at Oregon and give Davis another shot, crossing my fingers they will accept me this time around. It made sense when I saw how I'd be 220,000 debt with Oregon while davis is about 100,000 (they give out more scholarships and grants). It was a rough decision, especially since my parents came along the 8 hour drive and paid for the hotel, gas, food etc (it adds up). I felt terrible but I followed my heart and I have a great feeling. Remember everything happens for a reason :).

I say congrats on your smart decision! It's a nice thing to live in a house, afford a car, pay your bills and eat at a restaurant sometimes. There are many ways you can help animals and not take on a crazy amount of debt!