WSU-Boonshoft School of Medicine Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jammed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats to all of those accepted!! Just wanted to start a thread so we could get to know eachother!

Members don't see this ad.

When did you interview and when did the acceptance come (any change to the status page)? Hopefully I'll be joining you and others!

Interview- September 13th
Acceptance (by mail)- October 16th

The status page will change and it will say "The Admissions Committee has reviewed your Application. A decision has been mailed to your preferred address."

You should get it within a few days of that change. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely excited about Wright State! I must have watched that DVD we got at the interview 3X by now. Are either of you planning on doing that prematriculation anatomy class over the summer?

I don't think I'll be doing it.....I do hear it is really helpful though! I might try to work a bit this summer. Where are you from nokternal?

Congrats to all who have been acepted so far, and good luck to those of you who are hoping to be accepted. I am currently a first year student and just wanted to say that I love the school so far and I have definitely enjoyed the experience. i don't think you can go wrong if you chose WSU. What I believe really sets WSU apart is the cooperative attitude among our classmates. There is very little competition, and everyone is willing to help eachother. The faculty is also very approachable and helpful if you ever need to contact them for help and what not.

I don't think I'll be doing it.....I do hear it is really helpful though!
Yea, I don't think I'll be doing it either. Might as well enjoy the last few moments of freedom we have. Although moving to Dayton early and getting to know the campus could make the first few weeks a lot easier. BTW, where are you from jammed? I'm from Cleveland.

Congrats to all who have been acepted so far, and good luck to those of you who are hoping to be accepted. I am currently a first year student and just wanted to say that I love the school so far and I have definitely enjoyed the experience. i don't think you can go wrong if you chose WSU. What I believe really sets WSU apart is the cooperative attitude among our classmates. There is very little competition, and everyone is willing to help eachother. The faculty is also very approachable and helpful if you ever need to contact them for help and what not.
Thanks for the encouraging words WSU2011. I've heard a lot of people say the same thing about the noncompetitive atmosphere.

I'm from Kettering....which is 20 minutes from WSU. Let me know if you have any questions about the area and hopefully I can help!

hey guys, i'm lookin to apply next yr and was wonderin what your vitals are? is a 30mcat enough at wsu to compensate for a low gpa(3.0)?

hey guys, i'm lookin to apply next yr and was wonderin what your vitals are? is a 30mcat enough at wsu to compensate for a low gpa(3.0)?

Possibly. It really depends on a lot of other factors. What was your science GPA? Also, diversity seems to be very important to admission here. So, your extracurriculars and volunteer experience can help. Also, was your trend upwards or downwards? It would also help if you are an under-represented minority. You can also help yourself immeasurably by applying early and then having an excellent interview. So, there really isn't an answer to your question. There are so many variables that come into play, however, I am sure that there are people that have been admitted with those stats. If you want to see the stats of some people that were admitted and declined there is a site where you can see profiles of applicants. I am not sure what it is, but you can get there if you google MD applicant profiles. Hope this helps.

Well, just wanted to come say hi to everyone! It looks like I'm going to be a Texan transplanted in Dayton, Ohio for 4 years..

I just wanted to say hi to everyone. I look forward to meeting the class and working with everyone.

Greetings and congratulations to all! Has anybody gotten any additional info after their letter of acceptance and copy of Vital Signs? I show confirmed on my status page, but I am wondering if/when I should expect any additional information. Anybody gotten anything else?

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't gotten anything else either. Does anyone remember when we're supposed to get financial aid info?

I was thinking it was late January/early February for financial aid stuff, so that's why I was beginning to wonder. Our interview day was running a little behind, so they kinda glossed over the financial aid stuff. I don't know if I mind, though, because hearing the financial aspect is quite depressing.

I don't remember when we got additional info last year, but I know that I called because I started to wonder. I do know that one complaint a lot of us had was the lack of info to keep us posted on what was going on. As far as financial aid stuff, incoming students don't need to have it completed unitl after May I think because acceptances haven't even finished being given out until after that. Returning students must complete the FAFSA by 3/1, however. Anyway, don't feel like somthing is wrong if you havent goten anything besides Vital Signs and an acceptance because I feel like that was all I had for a LONG time!

Alas! The class of 2012 has web site to look at! Anyone else get an e-mail with a link?

Pretty happy to see a website.....it's a good feeling to know you were actually accepted and it wasn't some mistake! I wish there was a little bit more contact from the administrators though.....I hope we get to hear from more accepted people soon!

How long did you guys have to wait to hear back after interviewing...it's going on 6 weeks for me, and I'm getting nervous as Wright is solidly my first choice right now! Do you think calling the office would help ease my mind, ie could they give me any information? It seems like just sitting here waiting for something to show up in my mailbox is taking waaaay too long, and I'm starting to lose it! Help please, hopeful future classmates! :)

.....it's a good feeling to know you were actually accepted and it wasn't some mistake!

I can relate. Does anyone else obsessively check the status page to make sure you were really accepted? :p

I interviewed on Feb 5th, and haven't heard anything yet (checked the mail 30 minutes ago), but I did receive an e-mail last Saturday (March 1st) referring to me as a "valued partner" and asking me to complete a survey to help Wright State re-vamp their image. Can anyone tell me 1) If they also received this e-mail, if so: 2) what your status is with Wright State (accepted, waitlisted, rejected) and 3) What you possibly think this could mean for me.

Congrats to everyone already in the Class of 2012...I hope to be joining you soon.

I interviewed on Feb 5th, and haven't heard anything yet (checked the mail 30 minutes ago), but I did receive an e-mail last Saturday (March 1st) referring to me as a "valued partner" and asking me to complete a survey to help Wright State re-vamp their image. Can anyone tell me 1) If they also received this e-mail, if so: 2) what your status is with Wright State (accepted, waitlisted, rejected) and 3) What you possibly think this could mean for me.

Congrats to everyone already in the Class of 2012...I hope to be joining you soon.

I am also waiting to hear back post-interview, but I wanted to let you know that I also got that email. Not only did I get that email, a few days before it I got a postcard from financial aid asking me to get my info in using the online system with the campus ID and what not I was supposed to have gotten...yet I haven't gotten anything yet!!! If anyone can weigh in on this stuff it would be great. I wrote off the financial aid postcard, telling myself it's because I sent them my FAFSA. But the survey email as well???

I haven't been by in awhile, and I don't know if this is too late to help, but I don't recall getting a survey myself. I would guess that it may be a new thing as no one else seems to have weighed in on the subject. In either case, best of luck to you as you wait.....and wait......and wait. I know it was an incredibly LONG six weeks of waiting until I got my letter. In either case, best of luck!

I finally got my decision, which was a waitlist, and I actually just put my letter of intent in the mail before I sat to type this. Hopefully, I will have some good news in the coming months to add here!

Hey Everybody,

Let me introduce myself as the med school secretary and secretary of the 2011 class. :) Hi! So, we have a mentoring program for you all in the form of Bigs and Littles. You will each be assigned a "Big" from our class, who will (hopefully!) familiarize you with what it's like to go to Boonshoft, give you tips/hints/notes/books and basically be a free resource for one-on-one.
Now, in order for this to work BEST, we'd like to get you paired with someone who shares your interests--whether it's sports, alma mater, family/older student, religion, etc etc. Soooo, I'm here to get to know you! If you're committed to coming to WSU next year, and you want me to pair you well, go ahead and either shoot me a little email with a request/interest, or let me see your facebook profiles, or tell me to go fly a kite because you don't care! Ha!
I'm [email protected], so drop me a line!

Kate Berenson

So far, our class has some requests for:

Military student
Family w/kids
Miami Alumni
MPH or other combined degree students.

Let me know!

Kate Berenson
MSSC Secretary 2011

So I've just recieved a letter in the mail stating that I was in the middle third of the alternate list....does anybody know what my chances are of getting in? Is there anybody out there that has gotten in from the alternate list? If so, what was your position?

It depends on the type of year it is as to whether or not you'll get in off the waitlist. Two years ago, I was in the middle third alternate list and there was only one person that got in off the whole waitlist. Last year, however, I think they took enough people to start taking from the middle third. It all depends how many people actually accept their spot in the class. Good luck!