WSJ: College Major and Unemployment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

undecidedman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just ran across this and thought it was interesting. I know that without fully knowing the details of the data, you can run with it in many different directions. But, found it interesting to see the Unemployment rate for Clinical Psychology at 19.5%, quite high compared to the other majors listed.

I know it's a older article/table from late 2011, but just thought it might be interesting for some who never had the chance to look at it.

http://graphicsweb.wsj.com/documents/NILF1111/#term=

Members don't see this ad.

That's a deceiving stat because it is based on an undergrad major, not a doctoral degree.

*edit*

Here is the full report: http://www9.georgetown.edu/grad/gppi/hpi/cew/pdfs/whatsitworth-complete.pdf

I have no idea what college/university is providing that degree, but it makes up 0.59% of all Psych & Social Work degrees....so to say that is deceiving is an understatement.

Last edited:
Yeah, I get tired of people misunderstanding this article. It's not talking about doctoral level psychologists. And I've never even heard of clinical psychology as an undergrad major. Besides, psychology as an undergrad major is worthless. We should all know that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I get tired of people misunderstanding this article. It's not talking about doctoral level psychologists. And I've never even heard of clinical psychology as an undergrad major. Besides, psychology as an undergrad major is worthless. We should all know that.

I apologize. I searched for it too on sdn, but guess I didn't do a good enough job.

Either way, thanks for the full report T4C. I'm going to look through it as I'm interested in this kind of stuff.

I apologize. I searched for it too on sdn, but guess I didn't do a good enough job.

Either way, thanks for the full report T4C. I'm going to look through it as I'm interested in this kind of stuff.

Oh, nothing against you in particular. I've just seen it referenced and misunderstood all over the net.

Checked out the WSJ briefly. What exactly is "TREATMENT THERAPY PROFESSIONS"? Is this an undergraduate major? And, if so, how does it have an unemployment rate of 2.6% and a median salary of $62,000? This "major" is substantially higher than the "COUNSELING PSYCHOLOGY" and "CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGY" majors. What sort of schools offer these as undergraduate majors, anyways?