WSJ: 200 Best & Worst Jobs 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twitch

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
2010 Best & Worst Jobs

200 best and worst jobs in the U.S. in 2009 based on five criteria -- environment, income, employment outlook, physical demands and stress

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/st_BESTJOBS2010_20100105.html

Ranking (for complete ranking w/payscale see the link above)

#10 Dental Hygienist
#97 Dentist
#98 Psychiatrist
#128 Physician (General Practice) - right below waiter/photographer/salesperson
#136 Surgeon (right below undertaker and flight attendant)
Worst Job = #200 ROUSTABOUT

Members don't see this ad.

2010 Best & Worst Jobs

200 best and worst jobs in the U.S. in 2009 based on five criteria -- environment, income, employment outlook, physical demands and stress

#10 Dental Hygienist
#97 Dentist
#98 Psychiatrist

Yes, Archeologist was in the top 50 ... my Indiana Jones fantasy is still alive. If it's any consolation, the GP and surgeon were the highest salaries I saw on that esoteric survey.

Kinda seems like a random list. They have some IT related fields in the top there.... with several friends in the IT field (from system analyst, to developer, to network tech) I'm not sure I'd put those up that high, lots of burnout, stress, etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
Surgeon is low mainly due to the fact that you have to work with other surgeons.

Yes, Archeologist was in the top 50 ... my Indiana Jones fantasy is still alive. If it's any consolation, the GP and surgeon were the highest salaries I saw on that esoteric survey.

Apparently they did take compensation into account to create the rank list, although clearly it was not the only criteria. There ranking is rather odd though with the #1 spot going to actuary and several of the other top spots in IT - fields that we don't often think of as being high up on any list. :D

Apparently they did take compensation into account to create the rank list, although clearly it was not the only criteria. There ranking is rather odd though with the #1 spot going to actuary and several of the other top spots in IT - fields that we don't often think of as being high up on any list. :D

I had to google 'actuary,' and I have friends in IT who would BEG to differ. :laugh:

I always look at these job lists with much skepticism, but props to those involved in compiling this list recognizing how utterly crappy it is to be a physician nowadays despite the "whopping" six figure pay. If general physician ranked 136, could you even imagine where "resident" or "intern" would've wound up??? Working like dogs for a third of the pay, a resident/intern would be such a statistical outlier that it couldn't even be included on the list since it would screw up the whole methodology.

2010 Best & Worst Jobs

#10 Dental Hygienist
#97 Dentist
#98 Psychiatrist

Total garbage. I've been a roustabout, it was a blast!

I'm in IT right now... i abhor it...with a passion

Since when is actuary considered an IT job? It's actually a pretty cool/interesting job if you are in to crunching numbers.