wRVU question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrbreakfast

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have gotten a number of neurohospitalist job offers and for various reasons am leaning toward taking an academic offer at a busy center. Unlike the other offers I am seriously considering (which are mostly community and are all salaried to start), this position transitions to wRVU-based pay during the first contract, after a short guarantee period. I have no idea how many wRVUs a full-time neurohospitalist generates, and googling was not as helpful as I would have liked. Daily consults (new + follow-up) would be in the teens or higher.

Basically, I am trying to figure out just how much of a pay cut I would be looking at long-term. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

How much are they paying per RVU? Does it go up after you meet a certain quota? If they're paying at least $60/RVU you should make at least $300k seeing that many consults.

I read somewhere that the average wRVU per inpatient encounter is 2.5ish.
Let's say you see 15 daily. That's 37ish a day or 6700 a year for a week on week off
The average $/wRVU is $58 IIRC.
6700 x 58 = 390K

Members don't see this ad :)
It unfortunately is not $60 per, and it goes down, not up, after reaching certain thresholds, presumably to discourage attendings from making residents see non-stop follow-ups all day. Though it's well-compensated for an academic gig, I wouldn't be necessarily making a ton of money in this job.

But it seems 5500-6000 wRVUs isn't unreasonable, which is helpful. Thanks.

I have gotten a number of neurohospitalist job offers and for various reasons am leaning toward taking an academic offer at a busy center. Unlike the other offers I am seriously considering (which are mostly community and are all salaried to start), this position transitions to wRVU-based pay during the first contract, after a short guarantee period. I have no idea how many wRVUs a full-time neurohospitalist generates, and googling was not as helpful as I would have liked. Daily consults (new + follow-up) would be in the teens or higher.

Basically, I am trying to figure out just how much of a pay cut I would be looking at long-term. Thanks.

I would say the average turns out to be more like 2.1 RVUs per consult considering 33% new and 66% f/u. Also 58 per RVU is probably too high for inpatient. its more like 45-55 depending on location. For outpatient it can be higher. For reference Medicare pays $34 per RVU.

So 15 patients/day is bit over 5500 RVUs per year @50 per rVU= 275k-300k- For a purely RVU based 7/7 salary.

Reactions: 1 user