wrvu dollar amount

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dansk2011

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anyone employed doing inpatient/outpatient what are you seeing/getting for dollar amount per wrvu? What would you consider "good"?

Members don't see this ad.

I recently looked around and got a bump in my rvu due to being pretty low compared to other places. Unsure about other areas but the places I found in texas were low to high 40s doing inpatient rehab

$55 per wvru would be a pretty good rate then I presume based off what you have seen?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Low 40s puts you below median on prominent compensation guides

Low 40s puts you below median on prominent compensation guides
Any chance you could recommend said compensation guides reflecting wrvu amounts? Wanting numbers/evidence to use for bargaining. What are general outpatient PM&R docs getting on average per wrvu? Better yet what would be considered good? I understand it may depend on geography but I would venture 40-50 is low, 50-60 is good, and above 60 would be ideal as that seems to be on par with what a lot of employed pain docs are getting. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Any chance you could recommend said compensation guides reflecting wrvu amounts? Wanting numbers/evidence to use for bargaining. What are general outpatient PM&R docs getting on average per wrvu? Better yet what would be considered good? I understand it may depend on geography but I would venture 40-50 is low, 50-60 is good, and above 60 would be ideal as that seems to be on par with what a lot of employed pain docs are getting. Any input is greatly appreciated.
MGMA is the gold standard, and is available at some medical libraries.

AAPMR also puts out a compensation guide that gets more specific about subspecialities.

Recently took a true general PM&R job in the Midwest in a medium sized city (90k population in city proper, 290k in metro area), and I'm doing inpatient rounding in the AM, outpatient in the PM (primarily spine and neuro), EMG 1 half day per week, and spasticity procedures intermittently, and will be getting paid $65.38 per RVU. Hope that's helpful for comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Recently took a true general PM&R job in the Midwest in a medium sized city (90k population in city proper, 290k in metro area), and I'm doing inpatient rounding in the AM, outpatient in the PM (primarily spine and neuro), EMG 1 half day per week, and spasticity procedures intermittently, and will be getting paid $65.38 per RVU. Hope that's helpful for comparison.
$65.38???? Is anyone else here getting anything close to this?

$65.38???? Is anyone else here getting anything close to this?
From what I've seen definitely on the higher side. I have friends who are getting $62 per wrvu but they are either part of orthopedic groups or they are doing interventional procedures. Highest I have been offered has been $55 inpatient/outpatient. That is in the southeast where pay is typically higher. I've also gotten as low as $41 but outside the southeast so seems as though geography potentially plays a part.

My guess is geography definitely plays a part. It's a smallish city, but it's in the far north, so I think values are supplemented for recruitment purposes, probably. I'm aware that it's on the higher end for others I've talked to, for sure.

Reactions: 1 users
Besides the straight rvu amount you may also want to look at what collections looks like. I have friend that makes higher RVU than myself but they hold back some of his billing and give back as bonus based on collections as some of it never gets paid. If the billing doesnt get paid then he doesnt see anything from it. Our place does guaranteed pay so does not matter if they collect or not, I still get paid for whatever I bill.