Wrote Step 2CK- worst experience of my life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PANDATLANTA

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I truly believe that after writing Step2CK today I failed. I can already count about 20 questions I got wrong- relatively simple ones. Stupid mistake ones. That doesn't even account for the ones I don't know or just kind of went with in the interest of time and moving on.

I found the exam difficult. Lots of questions that either had none of the answers from MTB or multiple (seemingly) correct ones.

Did anyone else feel the same way after? Is this a standard feeling post-step 2? I'm honestly dumfounded. I know everyone says to trust your practice exams, but I feel like I butchered it today completely. I didn't have near the uncertainty following my practice exams as I do now. FWIW, my Step1 was 230s, practice NBME 232, 252, and UWSA 260.

Thanks for your input everyone. Means a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
That's pretty common, I think. I felt really really bad after Step 2, felt completely lost on the exam, and thought I failed. Especially after Step 2.

Trust your practice exams.

Well, I truly believe that after writing Step2CK today I failed. I can already count about 20 questions I got wrong- relatively simple ones. Stupid mistake ones. That doesn't even account for the ones I don't know or just kind of went with in the interest of time and moving on.

I found the exam difficult. Lots of questions that either had none of the answers from MTB or multiple (seemingly) correct ones.

Did anyone else feel the same way after? Is this a standard feeling post-step 2? I'm honestly dumfounded. I know everyone says to trust your practice exams, but I feel like I butchered it today completely. I didn't have near the uncertainty following my practice exams as I do now. FWIW, my Step1 was 230s, practice NBME 232, 252, and UWSA 260.

took it yesterday and share the same sentiment as you. the test was ridiculous. It was either super specific to detail or just vague and convoluted. it was like they were deliberately trying to trick you. i left the testing center traumatized and in absolute shock. i know people say trust your prep/practice exams, but honestly i don't think i made the cut.

Hi guys , guess we are on the same boat. Took it today , I felt like 50% of the questions were straight out of uworld, very easy. And then there were the twisted ones when the only thing you could think about was what the hell are they asking? I also had some new stuff that I hadn't encountered in uworld or mtb . May God help us all

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys , guess we are on the same boat. Took it today , I felt like 50% of the questions were straight out of uworld, very easy. And then there were the twisted ones when the only thing you could think about was what the hell are they asking? I also had some new stuff that I hadn't encountered in uworld or mtb . May God help us all

Was the new stuff in a certain subject like biostats , neuro, stuff from step 1, etc ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Was the new stuff in a certain subject like biostats , neuro, stuff from step 1, etc ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
There were questions which relied in step 1 knowledge for answer ! I had some new stuff in dermatology but it was just 1-2 questions that wouldn't be big of a deal and also some in pediatrics and MI which were not covered in uworld but you could answer them by ruling out the things you already new. And the most imprortant thing is the questions can be easy but the play around with words to the point that you lose it. I can say overall only uworld is a must for this exam, mtbs sucked , absolutely worthless books !

Please guys update your scores once you receive them, I have been going crazy thinking I may have failed ! I feel hopless , my uwsa1 was 257 and uwsa2 248 , but i felt i messed up the real deal :(

I took it today and was surprised by some of the stuff that came up and how difficult it was. I scored 260+ on Step 1 a year ago, just finished all my core clerkships at a US Allopathic program, and studied for Step 2 CK for 3 weeks by doing all of UWorld Qbank again. I didn't do any practice exams. Aside from Step 2 CK being purposely vague and giving incomplete clinical data (eg, only parts of a urinalysis), the primary difficulty that I take away from today are topics that came up that were not covered in the UWorld Step 2 CK QBank. There were many questions that relied on Step 1 knowledge. It does make a case for taking the tests in closer proximity to each other, even though it would be miserable studying for and taking them in that way. I'll try to update with my score when I come back. I felt as if I was answering ~75% of the questions correctly, as opposed to 90% UWorld mixed blocks...but the problem with UWorld is I already used it for all of 3rd year so I was familiar with the topics and even remembered some of the questions.

I took it today and was surprised by some of the stuff that came up and how difficult it was. I scored 260+ on Step 1 a year ago, just finished all my core clerkships at a US Allopathic program, and studied for Step 2 CK for 3 weeks by doing all of UWorld Qbank again. I didn't do any practice exams. Aside from Step 2 CK being purposely vague and giving incomplete clinical data (eg, only parts of a urinalysis), the primary difficulty that I take away from today are topics that came up that were not covered in the UWorld Step 2 CK QBank. There were many questions that relied on Step 1 knowledge. It does make a case for taking the tests in closer proximity to each other, even though it would be miserable studying for and taking them in that way. I'll try to update with my score when I come back. I felt as if I was answering ~75% of the questions correctly, as opposed to 90% UWorld mixed blocks...but the problem with UWorld is I already used it for all of 3rd year so I was familiar with the topics and even remembered some of the questions.
I have the exam in 3 weeks. Do you suggest a quick read of FA for step 1 ? If not, then any advice on what you could have done differently

I have the exam in 3 weeks. Do you suggest a quick read of FA for step 1 ? If not, then any advice on what you could have done differently

No, I don't think I would go through Step 1 FA, partly because I don't absorb anything reading FA.

I'm not sure what I would have done differently. I probably should have taken some NBME practice exams and done some questions from a QBank other than UWorld (though still prioritizing getting through UWorld).

My classmates who have taken it recently have felt the same way when they come out after the exam, so it might be normal and I might have a fine score and not have done anything differently. I guess I'll know in a few weeks.

Last edited:
I would suggest you would revise the immunodeficiencies from Imunology FA step1 , its only 2 pages but very important

I would suggest you would revise the immunodeficiencies from Imunology FA step1 , its only 2 pages but very important
Sounds good, I will review that along with psych drugs
No, I don't think I would go through Step 1 FA, partly because I don't absorb anything reading FA. If I were to go over Step 1 material I probably would do renal and vasculitides as they never stick for me and always seem to come up.

I'm not sure what I would have done differently. I probably should have taken some NBME practice exams and done some questions from a QBank other than UWorld (though still prioritizing getting through UWorld).

My classmates who have taken it recently have felt the same way when they come out after the exam, so it might be normal and I might have a fine score and not have done anything differently. I guess I'll know in a few weeks.
Thanks. I shall concentrate on UW

Just an update ; got my scores today: 236! Not the best score and way low than my self assesments which were uwsa1:257 and uwsa2: 248. Apparently I am not the best test taker. Anyway it could have been even worse so I am trying to be thankful for everything I have achieved up to now

Reactions: 4 users
Just got my CK score today. I'm a first time poster and I kept reading posts on this site trying to stay sane while waiting for my scores. So trying to give hope to others like me.

Step 1 206
School comp: 240
NBME 7: 220
UWSA1:241
UWSA2: 228
Step 2: 244

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my CK score today. I'm a first time poster and I kept reading posts on this site trying to stay sane while waiting for my scores. So trying to give hope to others like me.

Step 1 206
School comp: 240
NBME 7: 220
UWSA1:241
UWSA2: 228
Step 2: 244
Impressive jump in your score! Congrats!

Sent from my LG-TP260 using SDN mobile

I'm a US-IMG from a Carib med school

I did pass program videos- good way to review Step 1 material
Than I did a block of u world everyday and kept a notebook in which I wrote down anything I did not know. It would take me a long time reviewing these blocks because there is a lot of good info in the u world explanation. My U world avg on first pass was 70% and on second pass was 85%. My school requires us to do the Kaplan online course which consists of the long videos so I did those too. I think the OB, certain IM, and surgery videos are really good.

Exam Day:
I had a good start to the exam and felt my first block went really well so I did not take a break after it. Afterwards the exam started getting more difficult and I started running out of time. I used to have 7-10 mins left on U world but I was barely finishing these blocks. Overall though I was seeing material I had come across on U world mixed in with some questions I had never seen before. This test is truly about endurance. My last two blocks went really badly because I was getting tired and second guessing myself.I wasn't even able to answer two questions on my second to last block. As a result of this I really started second

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a US-IMG from a Carib med school

I did pass program videos- good way to review Step 1 material
Than I did a block of u world everyday and kept a notebook in which I wrote down anything I did not know. It would take me a long time reviewing these blocks because there is a lot of good info in the u world explanation. My U world avg on first pass was 70% and on second pass was 85%. My school requires us to do the Kaplan online course which consists of the long videos so I did those too. I think the OB, certain IM, and surgery videos are really good.

Exam Day:
I had a good start to the exam and felt my first block went really well so I did not take a break after it. Afterwards the exam started getting more difficult and I started running out of time. I used to have 7-10 mins left on U world but I was barely finishing these blocks. Overall though I was seeing material I had come across on U world mixed in with some questions I had never seen before. This test is truly about endurance. My last two blocks went really badly because I was getting tired and second guessing myself.I wasn't even able to answer two questions on my second to last block. As a result of this I really started second
Sorry didn't finish the post. As I was saying I was really tired and my last two blocks weren't going well. Once I got out of the exam I thought I failed. All I can think about was 10-15 easy questions I had gotten wrong in the last two blocks. Normally I would be able to think through these questions and come up with annanswer but I was so tired I couldn't. So the whole time I felt like my last two blocks were going to make me fail. I guess I must have done well in the other blocks.

hey even I gave my step 2 ck today, was a nightmare. I found uwsa to be easier than real ck. my uwsa scores were 261 and 259 but I really had difficulty in real ck. so many ethics questions atleast 4 per block. Some clinical questions were so easy but the options were so weird couldn't complete 3 blocks left one question in the 3 blocks. If u don't mind can u let me know ur experience. Even I can remember atleast 8 to 9 mistakes. Had 318 questions

It seems that a lot of people feel that First Aid step1 info was important. Was wondering if anyone can elaborate a bit more about this? What kind fo information did you think was in First Aid that you thought was helpful or would have been helpful?

hi I am an IMG and in the same boat as u. If u don't mind can u update with ur results whenever they r released.
thanks

I'm not sure if we talked about it in here or in the experiences thread, but apparently they test step 1 questions purely to see how well people remember the information, evaluate it for their own purposes, and those questions are not counted in your score.

I'm not sure if we talked about it in here or in the experiences thread, but apparently they test step 1 questions purely to see how well people remember the information, evaluate it for their own purposes, and those questions are not counted in your score.
Is this a speculation or is there a source?

Is this a speculation or is there a source?
The notion that Step 1 type material on Step 2 is disregarded or not factored into your score sounds somewhat dubious to me. Although Step 2 CK is certainly a clinically-based exam, it's not as if the basic science information of M1 and M2 that appears on Step 1 is suddenly rendered irrelevant. You should still know that Niemann-Pick has heaptosplenomegaly and Tay-Sachs does not.

The notion that Step 1 type material on Step 2 is disregarded or not factored into your score sounds somewhat dubious to me. Although Step 2 CK is certainly a clinically-based exam, it's not as if the basic science information of M1 and M2 that appears on Step 1 is suddenly rendered irrelevant. You should still know that Niemann-Pick has heaptosplenomegaly and Tay-Sachs does not.
I should clarify - no more irrelevant than it was originally for Step 1. I am sure we could all successfully argue that, in regards to 90% of us in our future careers as physicians, knowing the distinction between Niemann-Pick and Tay-Sach's isn't particularly relevant in the first place. Regardless, it makes little sense to me why the NBME would suddenly consider this type of knowledge par for the course at one point and then inappropriate just one year later.

Last edited:
took it yesterday and share the same sentiment as you. the test was ridiculous. It was either super specific to detail or just vague and convoluted. it was like they were deliberately trying to trick you. i left the testing center traumatized and in absolute shock. i know people say trust your prep/practice exams, but honestly i don't think i made the cut.
if you don't mind did ur Issa scores coincide with ur real ck scores?
thanks

I read it recently and I'm pretty sure it was on the NBME website, but I can't recall where. It was something along the lines of "to evaluate retention for our own internal purposes..."

Found this though Retention of basic science information by senior medical students. - PubMed - NCBI

Interesting. I have to admit, that surprised me a bit. According to that paper, this was initially carried out in 2005. I'm curious if this is something they've kept permanently for Step 2 or not.

hi I am an IMG and in the same boat as u. If u don't mind can u update with ur results whenever they r released.
thanks
I got my score back today and it was a pleasant surprise: 274. I scored 264 on Step 1.
Again, I used UWorld to study, almost exclusively for Step 1, third year, and Step 2 CK (in addition to Anki cards I make based on UWorld questions, but these I use more as reference material to explain topics in a way that makes sense to me). I felt worse coming out of Step 2 CK than Step 1 or any shelf exam for the reasons I posted above.

I hope this good news I received today helps calms some nerves as people wait for their scores after feeling like Step 2 CK was a disaster.
Oddly, my housemate who studied the same way as me took CK a week after me and felt it was exactly what she was expecting and even felt pretty good afterwards...so I dunno.

Also, I forgot to say the bold below happened to me too.
Exam Day:
I had a good start to the exam and felt my first block went really well so I did not take a break after it. Afterwards the exam started getting more difficult and I started running out of time. I used to have 7-10 mins left on U world but I was barely finishing these blocks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I got my score back today and it was a pleasant surprise: 274. I scored 264 on Step 1.
Again, I used UWorld to study, almost exclusively for Step 1, third year, and Step 2 CK (in addition to Anki cards I make based on UWorld questions, but these I use more as reference material to explain topics in a way that makes sense to me). I felt worse coming out of Step 2 CK than Step 1 or any shelf exam for the reasons I posted above.

I hope this good news I received today helps calms some nerves as people wait for their scores after feeling like Step 2 CK was a disaster.
Oddly, my housemate who studied the same way as me took CK a week after me and felt it was exactly what she was expecting and even felt pretty good afterwards...so I dunno.

If you don't mind me asking when did you sit for the exam? Curious how long after the tests scores are coming out I've heard some getting back after 2 weeks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Congratulations ! Amazing score!

congrats! great score

did ur step 2 ck scores correlate with ur UWSA or nbme 7 ? I am little nervous

I'd like to echo the OP's sentiments. I walked out of this exam feeling incredibly despondent, no where near as comfortable as I did with Step 1 (and I didn't feel that great after Step 1 to begin with). I felt confident and prepared for maybe 60-80 questions on my Step 2 CK. I repeat, I felt prepared for 60-80 questions at most. That's it. My answers to the rest of the 250 or so questions felt at best like quasi-educated speculation, and at worst, like frank shots in the dark. I also had far more "WTF is this?" type questions on this exam than I had on Step 1 as well, inquiring about fringe concepts, esoteric diseases, incredibly specific treatments, or challenging ethical dilemmas with resolutions that all seemed superficially appropriate and plausible.

Again, Step 2 CK isn't so much about knowing definitive facts as it is apprehending the appropriate clinical approach. If you're someone like me who thinks concretely and thrives on trivia-like tidbits and associations, this makes things somewhat unsettling because you don't have the same strength of your convictions. On Step 1, sometimes you just know the answer because you just know the answer. The prompt mentions something about a dihydrorhodamine (DHR) flow cytometry test? The answer must be Chronic Granulomatous Disease. You see a pathology picture of dumbbell-shaped ferruginous bodies in the lung? The answer must be asbestosis. You just don't see that type of stuff very often on Step 2. I also felt that the resources available for Step 2 aren't quite at the same level as they are for Step 1. First Aid is a great example of this. It's an absolutely essential resource for Step 1, but for Step 2, I found it lacking in many regards.

For the record, I scored 250+ on Step 1, and my main goal was to at least beat that score for Step 2. My study strategy this time around was a full, careful pass of UWorld one time with the UWorld self-assessments and all Step 2 NBME's completed before the week prior to the exam. All of my practice exams for Step 2 CK had me scoring in the high 260's, which put me at ease somewhat, because I acutely felt my grasp of the material was for more tenuous than it had been for Step 1.

As I said, I walked out of this the real thing feeling terrible. In the ensuing hours after the exam, all of the questions I was unsure about came bubbling up from my subconscious, and upon reflection, I realized that I got most of them wrong. There were at least 20 questions that I could recall being unsure of; that's not counting the questions I either couldn't remember or didn't know that I got wrong. All in all, I was very upset for the following week and had insomnia because I worried that I had scored below my baseline of Step 1, and that the result would undermine the work I had done prior. I could have very easily postponed my Step 2 exam until after applying to residency and mitigated all of this.

Here's the moral of the story: Ultimately, in spite of all of my self-doubt, I ended up scoring in the high 260's and met my goal of topping my Step 1 score. I hope this will be some consolation to others who feel as equally discouraged as I did. There is a reason people do better on Step 2 than Step 1, and you will likely conform to that trend as well. Trust your practice tests, and don't expect to feel as comfortable as you may have before.

Reactions: 4 users

You solely ONLY used uworld and got a 274?

Hey guys, I just took the Step 2 CK today and based on my previous NBME scores (196 on NBME 4 about 8 weeks out) I am afraid I may have failed. On the UWSA1 before though, I got a 215. I've heard the UWSA1 is harder so not sure what to think. I guess my question is, why the discrepancy?

UPDATE: Got my score back - 224! The NBMEs are worthless. Use UWSAs.

Last edited:
Thank you all, even though I’m writing almost a semester after the last post; I would still like to briefly share my thoughts and experience because I literally found solace in threads such as this one and maybe someone in the future would be able to find some measure of relief in our posts. I am certain now that my personal experience with step 2 ck very closely resembles that of many of you.

During the exam, I struggled with time management; I wasn’t able to review more than 1-2 questions in probably 3 blocks, in the other 5 I either had just enough time to answer the last question or more commonly had to pick answers without reading the entire question stem in the final 1-3 items. I can vaguely recall at least 8 questions I had to blindly click an answer, and still left unanswered at least 4-5 questions in the entire exam. Regarding the content of the questions I found them to be dificcult; just as someone before me described, I felt prepared for less than a third of the questions and still had to hurry due to the time concern. Walking out of the testing center I felt horrible; many questions kept coming back to my mind one after the other, both the ones I was not able to answer propperly due to the time and also many intems in which I made trivial and stupid mistakes; not taking into account those which were dificult and was certain I got them wrong. All of this led to an utterly demoralizing waiting period, I also had trouble sleeping and in all honesty I was preparing myself for a failing score or a very low passing one.

The final score I received after the grueling waiting period was 268, for which I am immensely thankful to god. I am still not able to explain it, maybe because of the timing issue your brain can only hold on to and remember the most challenging questions or those you are sure you got wrong (even if they were not that difficult) and disregards the ones on which you made an appropriate thought process or you just had the pieces of knowledge to figure out the answer or discard the distractors.

Bottom line, the whole purpose of me writing this is not to tell the story or the score , but to provide those going through the difficult waiting process with some relief and hopefully make this waiting a little less distressing and maybe even achievig what those 3 weeks should be used for (in my opinion) and that is resting and disconnecting from the exam experience. Even if you felt terrible walking out of step 2 Ck there is a good chance you did well and a very very high chance that you did considerably better than you think you did.

Best regards,

Reactions: 6 users
I'd like to echo the OP's sentiments. I walked out of this exam feeling incredibly despondent, no where near as comfortable as I did with Step 1 (and I didn't feel that great after Step 1 to begin with). I felt confident and prepared for maybe 60-80 questions on my Step 2 CK. I repeat, I felt prepared for 60-80 questions at most. That's it. My answers to the rest of the 250 or so questions felt at best like quasi-educated speculation, and at worst, like frank shots in the dark. I also had far more "WTF is this?" type questions on this exam than I had on Step 1 as well, inquiring about fringe concepts, esoteric diseases, incredibly specific treatments, or challenging ethical dilemmas with resolutions that all seemed superficially appropriate and plausible.

Again, Step 2 CK isn't so much about knowing definitive facts as it is apprehending the appropriate clinical approach. If you're someone like me who thinks concretely and thrives on trivia-like tidbits and associations, this makes things somewhat unsettling because you don't have the same strength of your convictions. On Step 1, sometimes you just know the answer because you just know the answer. The prompt mentions something about a dihydrorhodamine (DHR) flow cytometry test? The answer must be Chronic Granulomatous Disease. You see a pathology picture of dumbbell-shaped ferruginous bodies in the lung? The answer must be asbestosis. You just don't see that type of stuff very often on Step 2. I also felt that the resources available for Step 2 aren't quite at the same level as they are for Step 1. First Aid is a great example of this. It's an absolutely essential resource for Step 1, but for Step 2, I found it lacking in many regards.

For the record, I scored 250+ on Step 1, and my main goal was to at least beat that score for Step 2. My study strategy this time around was a full, careful pass of UWorld one time with the UWorld self-assessments and all Step 2 NBME's completed before the week prior to the exam. All of my practice exams for Step 2 CK had me scoring in the high 260's, which put me at ease somewhat, because I acutely felt my grasp of the material was for more tenuous than it had been for Step 1.

As I said, I walked out of this the real thing feeling terrible. In the ensuing hours after the exam, all of the questions I was unsure about came bubbling up from my subconscious, and upon reflection, I realized that I got most of them wrong. There were at least 20 questions that I could recall being unsure of; that's not counting the questions I either couldn't remember or didn't know that I got wrong. All in all, I was very upset for the following week and had insomnia because I worried that I had scored below my baseline of Step 1, and that the result would undermine the work I had done prior. I could have very easily postponed my Step 2 exam until after applying to residency and mitigated all of this.

Here's the moral of the story: Ultimately, in spite of all of my self-doubt, I ended up scoring in the high 260's and met my goal of topping my Step 1 score. I hope this will be some consolation to others who feel as equally discouraged as I did. There is a reason people do better on Step 2 than Step 1, and you will likely conform to that trend as well. Trust your practice tests, and don't expect to feel as comfortable as you may have before.
I did pretty well on my Step 1, walked out feeling pretty bad.

I walked out of Step 2 feeling TERRIBLE. I feel like I made an educated guess on half the questions, and only felt very comfortable with maybe 1/4. I was only able to go through UWorld once, no practice tests. The Uworld Step 2 questions put me at 70th percentile, if that means anything. Now it's just time to wait and see. Going to be a rough few weeks for me :(

how did you end up doing? im waiting for my scores at the moment.