Writing yourself a LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roy7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay I'm stuck... an attending whom I asked to write me a LOR told me to write myself one for him, that he can then add-to/edit.

Welll, I'm struggling writing about myself, trying to find the balance of too much versus too little.. Rotating w/the attending was a really good experience and I'm sure that he just wants to help me out, but I have no idea what to write.

Any examples or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

An attending who says "write your own letter" is giving you a free pass to make a LOR that says you are the greatest medical student ever. The attending would probably write you a good letter, but he doesn't want to take the time out of his day. This is a golden opportunity for you.

Think of all the things a doctor should be: knowlegeable, compassionate, hard working, a good team player, etc etc, then write how you embody each of these qualities. Be confident in yourself as you write and don't hold back the praise you give (within reason).

Plus you know the letter will not be a generic form letter saying you are good, it will be personal, citing specific examples of what you did during the rotation to create the opinion the attending has for you.

Good luck.