Writing section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jammin06

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the basic format that the essay needs to be constructed in to do well on the writing section. I read somewhere that it needs to have 3 parts to it, but i don't know what those are. Can anyone gimme some help on this? I know this may be the least important part of the entire exam, but I don't want to just blow it off and then do poorly. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You'll have a quote, such as:

"Politicians in a democracy are unlike ordinary people" or

"Advancements in communication have decreased the level of interaction"

(These are the ones we had on our Apri '04 MCAT--I vaguely remember!)

Step 1: Definition: You must describe what you think the statement means, and give an example.

Step 2: Antithesis: You must give an example/situation when the statement is not true.

Step 3: Synthesis: You must give circumstances, conditions, etc., that make the statement true.

Very rough description, but it should give you an idea. I hope this helps.

-tx

Yeah, pretty much what he said. You get the most points for just answering the prompt. So it will give you three tasks. Number them and be sure you actually answer them. You'll score fine.

So if the prompt was,

"Waiting for the MCAT produces deranged medical students."

Please write an essay where you describe what the above statement means. Give an example where waiting for the MCAT might not produce deranged medical students. What decides whether waiting for the MCAT produces deranged medical students?

Rough example, but answer the three questions intelligently and clearly.

Hi
What kind of prep is needed for the writing sample.. ? Please advise..

Amy

Members don't see this ad :)
As for the format I read most people use a 3 paragraph format.
Personally, I used a 4 paragraph format that roughly came out as:
1) Define/explain
2) Agree (example)
3) Disagree (example)
4) Conditions
and I got an R.

As for prep...really none. Maybe memorize a few good words or quotes...
I am good at essays in general, so maybe my advice isn't good. But if you find that you have gotten good marks in your undergrad english courses, and can write decent essays quickly, thenuse the time on something else.

Four paragraph, as described above, is much superior to three.

No preparation is required is also correct, as long as you do what is asked. If you answer the questions asked (three of them), in English, you will get a score of at least M, and that's all you need to do. J, K, or L is potentially problematic; anything above that is sufficient to make it not be an issue. A (T)errific score is still not getting you an interview, so adequate is all you care about. Don't sweat it.

if you buy the practice exams from e-mact.com you can read some example essays that scored 1 through 6 (or P through W or whatever) on the on-line score review. Some are interesting... for example, you can write a short essay and still get a high score.

i think it comes down to answering the questions and making good points in your discussion and not too much on format. then the schools you apply to don't care because they'd rather read your essay on AMCAS or their secondary application than base anything on some MCAT essay score of :confused: .

all that said, i think it's good to write the essays as you take practice exams to work up the endurance. on my first practice exam, my essay really stunk but i feel as though i could think more clearly after going through another couple exams.

amy73 said:
Hi
What kind of prep is needed for the writing sample.. ? Please advise..

Amy
Hey, Amy73,

It's hard to prep. Just be able to write coherently and answer the three tasks, fully, but without rambling. Make sure to stick to the point and topic. My biggest challenge was brainstorming on the spot. I tried this: I started with the synthesis (the 'when is it true, and when is it not true?') I picked my "rule", decided on my examples, and started writing. This worked better for me than going in order. Just like the other sections, try different methods and find one that works for you. I know everyone else says it (writing sample) doesn't matter, but you don't want to come across as being incoherent and bumbling, either.