Writing section suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wait4me

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some examples that could pretty much be applied to most writing prompts?? What do you usually use as examples? current events or historical ones?

Members don't see this ad.

believe me, ANYTHING will fly in the writing sample, provided you can at least somewhat plausibly back it up.

one of my prompts talked about art, and my example was going on top of a volcano in hawaii and seeing how beautiful it was, and i BSed some crap about how "this art was not made by mere mortals, but by the winds and imcomprehensible forces greater and more mysterious than the world we lived in". I got an S on the writing section.

Bottom line: you have 30 minutes, come up with the first example (whatever it may be, as long as you can draw some link to it) and BS away my friend.

hahah awesome... so is it okay to use personal anecdotes?? TPR made it seem like they want only "current events"

believe me, ANYTHING will fly in the writing sample, provided you can at least somewhat plausibly back it up.

one of my prompts talked about art, and my example was going on top of a volcano in hawaii and seeing how beautiful it was, and i BSed some crap about how "this art was not made by mere mortals, but by the winds and imcomprehensible forces greater and more mysterious than the world we lived in". I got an S on the writing section.

Bottom line: you have 30 minutes, come up with the first example (whatever it may be, as long as you can draw some link to it) and BS away my friend.

Is it okay to make up a false reference? For example, maybe use a book that you read a long time ago (and forgot most of the details) but make up some details to use in your essay?