Writing sample ... how important is it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monopolova

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How low of a writing sample score are you willing to accept? If you got a really low writing sample, would you retake the test? It's obvious that many of us just ignore this piece of the exam, but it has to have some effect. What do you think/what have you heard?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard:
J-L means you're an incoherent idiot, and MAY keep you out;
midline means you're okay, and R,S,T won't get you in on literacy alone.
I personally feel I blew one essay and aced the other, so M,N I feel okay about, if my number is >30. If I retake, it will be for number, not letter.

Just my 2 cents.

monopolova said:
How low of a writing sample score are you willing to accept? If you got a really low writing sample, would you retake the test? It's obvious that many of us just ignore this piece of the exam, but it has to have some effect. What do you think/what have you heard?

I scored in the 25th percentile on the writing section. I was accepted to three schools, and I might have gotten more had I not pulled my name off the waitlists at three more schools. It doesnt matter at all.

My understanding is that it is of value for evaluating those students who are international or do not do very well on the VR. If you get a 10 on the VR and the lowest letter, I think the most they will do is ask why you were smoking crack when you interview, and you can just reply with "my handwriting is very bad."

Members don't see this ad :)
It does not matter that much as long as you don't totally f it up. I have even see on TPR website (review.com), where they have reported MCAT averages for different schools, schools that have "NULL" next to the average writing sample.

Yea I heard that as long as you get a decent score you'll be fine. I would focus on the other areas. Hopefully we all know how to write an essay by now. :D

The WS is insignificant, as long as you don't get a J or K. It's the only section can only hurt you, instead of making you shine if you have a T. If you're getting an OK score, you'll be fine even at the top schools. I speak from experience.

I got an M. Had interviews at great schools and my Writing Section score never ever came up.

Just to show that it doesn't matter, I'm attending a top 20. Don't retake if you blow the WS. It's not worth the pain.

I got an "L" and it did not seem to be an issue at all. It is my impression that a low score can be redeemed with a strong personal statement and well written secondary essays.