Writing personal letters before interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phillybabe

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Granted I will wait till after Dean's letters, how bad an idea is it to write to a program director telling them that they are my first choice (or one of my top choices) and how much I would love an interview.

Members don't see this ad.

phillybabe said:
Granted I will wait till after Dean's letters, how bad an idea is it to write to a program director telling them that they are my first choice (or one of my top choices) and how much I would love an interview.

Unless you have some compelling reason to be at that program, I would hold off on any personal letters. If you did have some reason, I think that the personal statement would have been an appropriate place to address it.

Peter

How would you write a letter to a program - telling them they are your first choice - to which you have not interviewed at or visited? I would think that would carry very little - if no - weight and may hurt your application...

i agree...bad idea...baaaaaaadddddd :D

Hello

If your intention is to get an interview, there is not much you can do. But if you were granted an interview, why not wait until the interview is over, then write a more personalised letter ? That might help you.

regards
lf