writing P.S. without any pharmacy experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hye345

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it considered acceptable to write a personal statement if I don't have any experience in a pharmacy setting yet? I wanna get my app out by July, and im banking on working as a pharmacy technician starting around mid-june or so (my family might be able to help with job placement) but I told my professors (who agreed to write me an LOR) that I would get a 'personal statement' (draft) out to them ASAP.

Members don't see this ad.

A personal statement is required either way, so you should go ahead and start writing it. Talk about what experiences pointed you towards pharmacy. Maybe you got some drugs at Rite-Aid once and liked how awesome the pharmacist looked in a white coat :p

I haven't even started writing mine :(

Members don't see this ad :)
You do not need pharmacy experience to write a personal statement for pharmacy school. When I was applying I had zero pharmacy experience, and I was accepted at every pharmacy school at which I interviewed.

Definitely go ahead and start writing it. You can draw on experiences that may have been closely related to the pharmacy profession, why you want to pursue pharmacy, and/or experiences where a pharmacist went above and beyond. Those are a few of the many things you can put in your personal statement. Trust me, there are a fair share of students who have never worked/volunteered in a pharmacy and got in. Good luck!

You do not need pharmacy experience to write a personal statement for pharmacy school. When I was applying I had zero pharmacy experience, and I was accepted at every pharmacy school at which I interviewed.

what were ur stats? and when did u apply

Is it considered acceptable to write a personal statement if I don't have any experience in a pharmacy setting yet? I wanna get my app out by July, and im banking on working as a pharmacy technician starting around mid-june or so (my family might be able to help with job placement) but I told my professors (who agreed to write me an LOR) that I would get a 'personal statement' (draft) out to them ASAP.

Since you've decided on trying for pharmacy school without any experience, you must already have reasons for your decision. Spelling out those reasons would be a good place to start.

Since you've decided on trying for pharmacy school without any experience, you must already have reasons for your decision. Spelling out those reasons would be a good place to start.

Probably so.... the issue is, my reasons for entering pharmacy are more pragmatic than emotional/altruistic (although there's some of that too). Oh well, might as well start making something of a rough outline...

Probably so.... the issue is, my reasons for entering pharmacy are more pragmatic than emotional/altruistic (although there's some of that too). Oh well, might as well start making something of a rough outline...

I think it's possible to make yourself stand out in a good way by NOT going on about how much you're in it to help people, make a difference in the world, yada yada yada. Adcoms probably read so much of that sort of thing that they get sick of it. Assuming you're not in it (just) for the money, and you're not in it to help people, what are your other reasons for picking a career in pharmacy? For example, I talked some about how I thought a career in pharmacy was a natural fit for me since a lot of the skills I already have, like working with the public, supervising employees, utilizing computers, etc. are things that pharmacists (retail in particular) do on a daily basis.

I think it's possible to make yourself stand out in a good way by NOT going on about how much you're in it to help people, make a difference in the world, yada yada yada. Adcoms probably read so much of that sort of thing that they get sick of it. Assuming you're not in it (just) for the money, and you're not in it to help people, what are your other reasons for picking a career in pharmacy? For example, I talked some about how I thought a career in pharmacy was a natural fit for me since a lot of the skills I already have, like working with the public, supervising employees, utilizing computers, etc. are things that pharmacists (retail in particular) do on a daily basis.

For some reasons, you remind me of my dear scary boss :laugh: