Writing NBDE Part 1 in November/December 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bddsgirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

All of you folks who are writing NBDE Part 1 in November/December 2009, come and share your knowledge. I have just started my preparation in May.

I did my Graduation in 2007 from India. So the subjects I m studying now were studied by me 5-6 years back.

So lets make a study plan and study together.

God Bless All of Us

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Truthseeker,

I hope you feel better now......and I am happy you are finding your text book interesting.....I am pretty comfortable with biochem and physio now........

I get up 6:30 am everyday now......and then I go for walk.....it really helps....the whole day I am so fresh...and I retain more knowledge.....

I am done with Antigens, Antibodies and Antigen-Antibody reactions.......I am going to read Complements now..........

Hey Gold Dentist

Do not get depressed......you do not have time to get depressed......you still got one more chance this year....So, you should be happy for that because had it been 2010, you would not have got second chance........So, forget about anything that happened in the past.....and prepare for your test now......whole heartedly.....

May god bless all of us

New to this forum....confused with ECE ...how does one pay using visa/master card...do we write the no. on the form...is that secure?

Last edited:
Trust me,many people do that way.I did it too.Apply to ECE by mail(you have to send them photocopies of marksheets,right.I am from India,I dont know about what you are supposed to send if you are from a different country,so check that ) and NBDE electronically.It's your call to take the exam whenever you want but be aware of the no retake policy from 2010.
New to this forum how does one pay for ece using mastercard/visa?do we write the no. in the form ..is it safe?

Members don't see this ad :)
hi everyne,
appreciate all working hard...
im from india too..nd ive been trying to start studying for past few months...but dont have the motivation or the seriousness...
am gonna start now....
i want to prepare really well nd then write the test.
is there any difference in writing the test this year nd in 2010, other than the re taking part.....?
thanks bdds girl for starting this thread.....gud luck to u...:thumbup:

New to this forum....confused with ECE ...how does one pay using visa/master card...do we write the no. on the form...is that secure?

Yes, it is safe and secure.......I did the same......but you can also send a money order or draft or you can write a check if you are concerned......

hi everyne,
appreciate all working hard...
im from india too..nd ive been trying to start studying for past few months...but dont have the motivation or the seriousness...
am gonna start now....
i want to prepare really well nd then write the test.
is there any difference in writing the test this year nd in 2010, other than the re taking part.....?
thanks bdds girl for starting this thread.....gud luck to u...:thumbup:

Hi Gemdent,

You are Welcome.....No there is no difference other than re-taking part in 2010.......

So if you are serious, then you should start preparing right now.....because today is the best time......remember?......:)......

And all the best to you too for your preparation.....

annakc, Yes I think most of here are writing the test in November/December. I already booked my test for 26th of November. This will be the first time I am writing Test. I dont have Kaplan materials. I just read from my text books, dental decks and then go through ASDA Exams. I finished my DA.....and now will be done with biochem and physio in 2 more weeks.

Dentical, I can understand having a baby n studying is so hard.....but hats off to you!!......so right now I am not giving that much time to study as I should.....because we are not supposed to think oh its still 5 months......we have to give as much time as we could...

For DA you should not do concise study or just decks....they are not enough....because we should keep in mind that DA and Anatomy are two subjects which carry full 100 marks.....all of other carry only 50 marks......and moreover DA is interesting.....I am done with it...I went thoroughly through Wheelers for DA and then dental decks and then ASDA....

hi i am also planning to give the exam in november.
but haven't started the preperation yet.
i'm starting from today.
can i join u all???
i am a very average student and need lots of hard work?
what do u suggest for me?

i'm starting from today.
can i join u all???

Start asap if you want to target in November time frame. We are all in the same boat. I started a Month ago.

Guys...whats happening. I will be done with Micro in 3 more days. So far I finished, Physio and Bio- chem with few ASDA exams.

Hey Guys,

How are you all doing with the preparation.......

I am finally done with Immunity from Micro.....and from decks

I am going to start with bacteria now...........

Hey AspirantDDS, So, how many days you devoted for Micro.......its been 9 days for me now since I am studying Micro......and I am still left with microorganisms.......

And how is everyone doing with their preparation.....

Happy Studying!!!

i'm starting from today.
can i join u all???

Hi Annie,

Welcome, If you are planning to write the test in November, then better start preparing now.....Because we all are planning to write the exam in November......

You do not need to worry about being average.....or anything like that.....It is just your hard work that pays off finally......

So what materials do you have for studying?

Hey AspirantDDS, So, how many days you devoted for Micro.......its been 9 days for me now since I am studying Micro......and I am still left with microorganisms.......

Hi Bddsgirl. I started Micro 7 days ago. and Currently doing immunology. I am done with Organisms. As I said earlier, my sources are NBDE first aid, decks and USMLE lecture Notes. But I am not able to retain anything. I keep forgetting minute details and they are very important. Micro is surely the toughest i think.

I will revise it 2-3 times before moving to Patho.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Annie,

Welcome, If you are planning to write the test in November, then better start preparing now.....Because we all are planning to write the exam in November......

You do not need to worry about being average.....or anything like that.....It is just your hard work that pays off finally......

So what materials do you have for studying?

Hi bddsgirl,
Thank you for your encouragement.
I have kaplan review book,dental decks 2006-07,some released ouestions and usmle notes.
I started doing anatomy in kaplan review book....

annakc, Yes I think most of here are writing the test in November/December. I already booked my test for 26th of November. This will be the first time I am writing Test. I dont have Kaplan materials. I just read from my text books, dental decks and then go through ASDA Exams. I finished my DA.....and now will be done with biochem and physio in 2 more weeks.

Dentical, I can understand having a baby n studying is so hard.....but hats off to you!!......so right now I am not giving that much time to study as I should.....because we are not supposed to think oh its still 5 months......we have to give as much time as we could...

For DA you should not do concise study or just decks....they are not enough....because we should keep in mind that DA and Anatomy are two subjects which carry full 100 marks.....all of other carry only 50 marks......and moreover DA is interesting.....I am done with it...I went thoroughly through Wheelers for DA and then dental decks and then ASDA....

Hey guys,this is my first time on sdn and i'm loving it,its so nice of you all to share your knowledge and experiences,i'm also planning on taking the exam in nov or dec,not sure yet though but if this motivation, i have gained today by reading your suggestions,i'll definately do it in nov or december...............

Hi Bddsgirl. I started Micro 7 days ago. and Currently doing immunology. I am done with Organisms. As I said earlier, my sources are NBDE first aid, decks and USMLE lecture Notes. But I am not able to retain anything. I keep forgetting minute details and they are very important. Micro is surely the toughest i think.

Hey buddy
I'm worried,everyone is studying from USMLE notes and stuff,i dont have them,what should i do? i have kaplan NBDE part 1 notes,are they not sufficient? What all books should i buy and from where?
I have just started my preparation,its so confusing.................

Hey buddy
I'm worried,everyone is studying from USMLE notes and stuff,i dont have them,what should i do? i have kaplan NBDE part 1 notes,are they not sufficient? What all books should i buy and from where?

No need to worry. Do you have text books for the subjects you studied at dental school.? Use them, nothing will beat them. Rest if you need USMLE notes, you can search for them on ebay, internet etc.

Exam is all about clearing your concepts. I graduated 7 yrs ago and so finding it hard to concentrate. But now after Months study I feel that I will be able to do it. If you have doubts just try to clarify it here.
good luck.

Hey Aspirantdds,

I am done with immunology.....I am doing bacteria now.....I think I am taking more time.....but I think by reading from the text book, I tend to understand more and retain more......When I started Micro....I just hated it......but now I love it.....I would suggest you to read it from some more detailed source.....it really helps a lot....i feel like that......

I am doing bacteria now......still left with viruses and fungi......hope to finish it by the end of July.....its now almost 14 days now reading micro.....but I am really satisfied with Micro now and feel more comfortable......

So, I wish you good luck with Micro......Happy Studying

Hey buddy

Hey Burberry,

I am also of the same opinion.....IF you can read from your text books.....that is the best thing to do.....I am reading just from my text books thoroughly....then I learn the decks for that topic and then I solve ASDA exams.....and I feel pretty comfortable......

We need to clarify our concepts...nothing better than text books for that....So, do not worry and just be calm and study......

All the best....

Hey Aspirantdds,

I am done with immunology.....I am doing bacteria now.....I think I am taking more time.....but I think by reading from the text book, I tend to understand more and retain more......When I started Micro....I just hated it......but now I love it.....I would suggest you to read it from some more detailed source.....it really helps a lot....i feel like that......

I am doing bacteria now......still left with viruses and fungi......hope to finish it by the end of July.....its now almost 14 days now reading micro.....but I am really satisfied with Micro now and feel more comfortable......

So, I wish you good luck with Micro......Happy Studying

Hey bddsgirl,

It is great that you are getting confident on the subject. Which book are you following for Micro? I will see if I can get it as I think i need to study from text book.

I wish you the best. Keep going you are doing excellent and motivating a lot.

Cheers.

Hey bddsgirl,

It is great that you are getting confident on the subject. Which book are you following for Micro? I will see if I can get it as I think i need to study from text book.

Cheers.

Yes i agree, books are the best help, but to what extent and how much in depth....varies ! Best is to check how much we retain at the end of the day.....am behind my schedule and going real slow :-( need to buck up.
There'll be people who are with real high scores and we gotta build up efforts to be at par . May all goodwill be with us.

Wishing productive studying hours.:thumbup:

hey bddsgirl ,

I guess we talked about questions, lets assimilate cumulatively . Since u were gonna talk on Physio-Biochem and u are welcome to shoot Microbio-Path related stuff.

• come up with all thats imp wrt Okazaki fragments.

Hey bddsgirl,

Cheers.

Hey AspirantDDS,

For Micro, I am reading from my text book from India.....its Textbook Of Microbiology By Ananthanarayan and Paniker.......I doubt if you will get this book from here......but there is another book I have heard of but never seen....that is clinical Micro made easy....something like that.....I have heard that is a good book too.......

I am doing Enterobacteriaceae right now........am still left with half of bacterias.....I hope to finish them in 3 more days.....and then move on to viruses and fungi........

And we are all a lot of motivation to each other.....

Guys, keep on studying hard and good luck to you too

hey bddsgirl ,

I guess we talked about questions, lets assimilate cumulatively . Since u were gonna talk on Physio-Biochem and u are welcome to shoot Microbio-Path related stuff.

• come up with all thats imp wrt Okazaki fragments.

Hey Truthseeker,

So, Okazaki Fragments are short segments of replicated DNA.....formed in the lagging strand.....Since DNA chain formation occurs only in 5` - 3` direction.....and lagging strand is in 3`-5` direction.....So only a small segment is available in 5`-3` direction at one time..........

Leading strand is formed continuously because its 3` end is open for elongation.......

So, replication is not continuous on the lagging strand......due to exposure of a small stretch of template at one time.....Each Okazaki Fragment have 3000-4000 nucleotides.....An RNA Primer is required every time a new Okazaki Fragment is to be built.....After replacing RNA Primer with deoxyribonucleotides and their polymerization, Okazaki Fragments are joined together by means of DNA Ligase......So, Dna Strand built up of Okazaki Fragments is called Lagging Strand

So, the direction of growth in Lagging Strand is in 3`-5` end, though in each Okazaki Fragment it is 5`-3` direction.....

I hope it makes sense.......I am not very good at explaining things or even explaining myself.....but I hope it works.....

So, can you tell me a little bit about Enterobacteriaceae.......what all is important in these aerobes....

Hey Truthseeker,

So, Okazaki Fragments are short segments of replicated DNA.....formed in the lagging strand.....Since DNA chain formation occurs only in 5` - 3` direction.....and lagging strand is in 3`-5` direction.....So only a small segment is available in 5`-3` direction at one time..........

Leading strand is formed continuously because its 3` end is open for elongation.......

So, replication is not continuous on the lagging strand......due to exposure of a small stretch of template at one time.....Each Okazaki Fragment have 3000-4000 nucleotides.....An RNA Primer is required every time a new Okazaki Fragment is to be built.....After replacing RNA Primer with deoxyribonucleotides and their polymerization, Okazaki Fragments are joined together by means of DNA Ligase......So, Dna Strand built up of Okazaki Fragments is called Lagging Strand

So, the direction of growth in Lagging Strand is in 3`-5` end, though in each Okazaki Fragment it is 5`-3` direction.....

I hope it makes sense.......I am not very good at explaining things or even explaining myself.....but I hope it works.....

So, can you tell me a little bit about Enterobacteriaceae.......what all is important in these aerobes....

hey , Thanks for that
you were good.

so to compile:
in a DNA replication process there are
Leading strands from 3' to 5' end
lagging strands from 5' to 3' end
Okazaki fragments are part of lagging strand in discontinuous stretches, with RNA primer at 5' end , which are later joined by DNA ligase.

Quoting you "So, the direction of growth in Lagging Strand is in 3`-5` end, though in each Okazaki Fragment it is 5`-3` direction....." ???????

>due to intrinsic 5'-3' polarity new DNA can only be synthesized from 3' end of leading strand.

related to Entero-bacilli zoom on salmonella, shigella,vibrio,E.coli,campylobacter,helicobacter .

All are facultative aerobes.
UTI's common with E.coli,klebsiella & Pseudomonas(not in the enteric bacilli) list ofcourse.

Its a chapter with many sub-topics, we can take up each organism to discuss at length if desired . Am behind my schedule now, :-( GOD only knows wats gonna happen to me(read scaredy already)

Happy productive studying hours.
keep posted.

Hey Burberry,

I am also of the same opinion.....IF you can read from your text books.....that is the best thing to do.....I am reading just from my text books thoroughly....then I learn the decks for that topic and then I solve ASDA exams.....and I feel pretty comfortable......

We need to clarify our concepts...nothing better than text books for that....So, do not worry and just be calm and study......

All the best....

Hey bddsgirl and aspirantdds

Thankyou soooo much..............We'll definately keep in touch but believe me you guys are extremely helping and motivating...........If i'll have some more questions i'll let you know.............

i am Egyptian. i am student at ain shams university at the third year.
i've a question if i started now can i finish studying till December & when exactly is the exam? i've all the text books & the questions, examinations till 2007 plz answer me so that i can begin fast

i've a question if i started now can i finish studying till December

Only you know the answer to that.

& when exactly is the exam?

From Monday to Saturday,its computerised by the way.You need to get a letter from the dean of your college that you finished the first two years of dental school,get your 2 years marks evaluated by the ECE and apply to ADA for taking the exam.You better start NOW!

thank u 4 answering my 1st question but the second i need a date not a day when in December & is there another one in January cuz i care about this more than my real study okay.
& thnx again 4 answering.

hii friends i joined the network yest and i recieved my nbde part 1 scores which is 81 i am so depressed i am goin to retake the exam in oct/nov .keep in touch
Even i am retaking my test in in oct/nov.So wanted to start it all over again but dont know where to start.Please keep in touch guys and give me some motivation to study.

Hey guys just want to ask on quick question, as i was very confused in patho in my exam so can u please tell me from where exactly i should study my Patho.

Hey Jaskiran,

For Patho, I think we need a thorough study.....wherever you read from, read thoroughly......because our basics need to be very clear on this subject.....and also you need a good grasp on Physio to understand Patho better.....

I will read Patho from my text book.....I am starting Patho in August though......

Hey Guys,

How is everyone doing on their studying......We need to buck up more .......as it is now only 3 months for that BIG DAY.......I am already freaking out.......

Not much time left now.......we should start revising a lot........I think we should revise everyday for about an hour or two......we should start revising all those things from the beginning......

I did DA in the beginning.....so every night from today I am going to revise it for about one and a half hour.......

Guys, remember, REVISION is the key......no matter what we learn and read, I think without revising it is not worth........

So, Happy Studying.......

i need some one to answer my ****** question when is the exam exactly i need a date & thnx 4 the one who will aswer
also is there another one in January ?????????

Hey Armagidon,

You have to book it yourself......once you submit your application...they will give you your eligibility number......and then you can go online and look.......they will give you different dates from which you can pick one.....so, in one month you can select from the 6-7 different dates or more.......and I am sure there is one in January too.......

Hey Jaskiran,

For Patho, I think we need a thorough study.....wherever you read from, read thoroughly......because our basics need to be very clear on this subject.....and also you need a good grasp on Physio to understand Patho better.....

I will read Patho from my text book.....I am starting Patho in August though......
Thanks for ur reply ...u r right that REVISION is key...I am doing patho from USMLE ....Ok keep posting ur info.

thanx bddsgirl!!
it will be almost a month since i have started anatomy..still not done with it yet...i m doin it from BD chaurasia and decks....concentratin more on head n neck.....will give another week to it then m goin to start off with biochem or micro...do u think 10 days wud be enuf for each of them....
i have released papers till the year 1996...i have bn told that they have not bn released after that...can u tell me somethin abt them...
about anat...r u doin relations and all fr any structure...
thanx ...!!!!!

Hey Candid81,

I have not done anatomy yet.....but I will read it from BD Chaurasia.......Right now I am doing Micro.....its been 22 days now since I am doing Micro......

My next subject is Patho after I finish Micro ......... and then I will be on Anatomy.......

Micro is really taking too much time .....maybe because i read it long time back since its been 3 yrs since I graduated....It depends on you if you can finish micro in 10 days......but I will suggest you to read thoroughly whatever you read.....dont rush things or its no use........

About the exams, I think they have been released till 2005.........you can find them at ASDAnet.org or you can also download them from the internet...

Ok guys,

Finally I am done with Bacteria......did the decks too for them......So now I will be starting with Viruses and Fungi from Monday and then will try to finish them in 5 days.....I hope this is not too much......

I thought of finishing Micro by the end of July......but bad luck......but its alright.....

And I am also revising DA every night....to refresh it in my mind and trust me I forgot about 25% of it.......:eek:

But it is okay......I think I will get it back on revising...........

Its getting so hot here in Canada......I usually feel sleepy in the day......so I just took a nap for an hour and now I am refreshed to revise those bacteriae.......

Happy Studying

Ok guys,

Finally I am done with Bacteria......did the decks too for them......So now I will be starting with Viruses and Fungi from Monday and then will try to finish them in 5 days.....I hope this is not too much......

I thought of finishing Micro by the end of July......but bad luck......but its alright.....

And I am also revising DA every night....to refresh it in my mind and trust me I forgot about 25% of it.......:eek:

But it is okay......I think I will get it back on revising...........

Its getting so hot here in Canada......I usually feel sleepy in the day......so I just took a nap for an hour and now I am refreshed to revise those bacteriae.......

Happy Studying
I am doing these bacteria.....and can u please tell me How to remeber them.I am doing from Decks

Guys i am freakin out.....very less time and too many things to cover.GOD PLEASE HELP ME.

hello
i m new to this discussion, i m aiso planing to give the test in december. i m from punjab. can you please tell me if kaplan lecture notes are sufficient or i should study from our test books??

Hello Guys,

How is everyone doing? I did not study for last 10 days as i needed to cover for my friend for his job as dental assistant.

I will start Patho from today. But i am already forgetting stuff :(

Any one have suggestions for what to study for patho.

Keep the momentum going.

hey der bdds girl,
i m new to dis forum,n i hav been reading all d relted threads from d past 2 hrs,n finally i decided to write to u.
actually,i hav done my bachelors in 2008,n wantd 2 pursue DDS,so after getting all d info n moving forward i hav startd preparing for NBDE,from kaplan notes n my dental decks will b also arriving soon,i intend to write my NBDE in nov/dec/jan.
i cant decide wen to write??...apart from dat,i had alwz studied wid a partner in my college days,now i m in melbourne n all alone,m from india only,jus here wid my hubby as he is working here.
i wantd to kno few things frm sumone who has actually startd preparing seriously for NBDE,i hope it wont b a problem for u to answer des for me,m sorry for d trouble!!!
1. i still didnt submit my ece application,it will b done in 2 days time now.will der b any prob if there is so much delay??
2. vich visa shud v apply for,if v r going der for an exam?
3. how many hours do v hav to study each day?
4.if i start now,vl i b doing well,in my xam as it is only 3-4 months now?
5.v dont hav work exp in US,vl v b eligible for the intake of 2011?
i guess dats all dat is cuming to ma mind rite now,plz help me wid des q's....
tahnx in advance....GOD BLESS

Guys i am freakin out.....very less time and too many things to cover.GOD PLEASE HELP ME.

Hey Jaskiran,
I did all the bacterias from my text book.....and that gave me a very thorough knowledge......I just read decks for any extra information.......So, you must know their morphology, biochemistry, pathogenesis, virulence factors and treatment........

Hope this helps
Good Luck

Hello Guys,

How is everyone doing? I did not study for last 10 days as i needed to cover for my friend for his job as dental assistant.

I will start Patho from today. But i am already forgetting stuff :(

Any one have suggestions for what to study for patho.

Keep the momentum going.

Hey Aspirant DDS,

I am starting Patho from 10th of August when I will be done with my Micro......
Which source are you studying from?
I think I will study it from my text book......
I did Micro from my text book.....it took some time.....but now I am confident about Micro.....

About forgetting stuff, I would suggest you to devote at least one hour in a day for Revision....of all that you did in the beginning.....like you can revise for one hour at night......I am doing the same I revise my DA, which I did in the beginning in May.......I was forgetting all about it but now revising every night for one hour is helping a lot........

Happy Studying.......:)

hey der bdds girl,
i m new to dis forum,n i hav been reading all d relted threads from d past 2 hrs,n finally i decided to write to u.
actually,i hav done my bachelors in 2008,n wantd 2 pursue DDS,so after getting all d info n moving forward i hav startd preparing for NBDE,from kaplan notes n my dental decks will b also arriving soon,i intend to write my NBDE in nov/dec/jan.
i cant decide wen to write??...apart from dat,i had alwz studied wid a partner in my college days,now i m in melbourne n all alone,m from india only,jus here wid my hubby as he is working here.
i wantd to kno few things frm sumone who has actually startd preparing seriously for NBDE,i hope it wont b a problem for u to answer des for me,m sorry for d trouble!!!
1. i still didnt submit my ece application,it will b done in 2 days time now.will der b any prob if there is so much delay??
2. vich visa shud v apply for,if v r going der for an exam?
3. how many hours do v hav to study each day?
4.if i start now,vl i b doing well,in my xam as it is only 3-4 months now?
5.v dont hav work exp in US,vl v b eligible for the intake of 2011?
i guess dats all dat is cuming to ma mind rite now,plz help me wid des q's....
tahnx in advance....GOD BLESS

Hey Juv4nbde,

Welcome to this group......So you have graduated just lately in 2008....I think all is a little bit fresh in your mind......SO you should start preparing as soon as possible.....

About your ece application, it is not late just submit it now and you will receive it within 3 weeks....and you can plan to submit your report directly to Joint Commission........and then you can apply for the NBDE exam.....

About the date of exam, I would suggest you to give yourself enough time to study and study thoroughly before you write the exam.....because you wont be able to write the test again if you get more than 75% marks......So I think January would be fine.......

About the hours you need to study, It depends on you how long you can sit to study.....But personally I think you should study at least 6-8 hours everyday and make a good schedule....week by week.....all the way down to your test date.......what all you are going to study every week.....that will keep your pace up......

About Visa, I dont have enough knowledge.....I am in canada and so I can write my test in here....I dont have to go to USA......and I dont have any knowledge about the work experience in USA......Since I am not having any work experience in USA......But I have work experience here in Canada as a Dental Assistant.........

I would suggest you to start studying as soon as possible without wasting any time.....

Good Luck
Happy Studying