Writing My First Research Grant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southerndoc

life is good
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm helping out one of my faculty members with a major study that's going to involve a large research grant.

Any tips any of you can share from experience? Things to include, things not to include, ways to word things, etc.? Any websites you recommend?

Just what have I gotten myself into? This study is going to be way involved, and will continue when I leave. Maybe I should've stuck with my basic pre-hospital research!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry Southerndoc, no answers but posting a follow-up question to your post to everyone out there with research experience.

I'm just getting into research as well and would also like to see if anyone has any good suggestions for grant writing or IRB writing books. Any thoughts?

Suggestion:
#1-Get a Mentor...every hospital, community or university has folks who have walked this path, or know of them. they do NOT need to be in your field of interest, and as a matter of fact it may be beneficial if they are not, cause this forces you to learn to express your concepts in a way that those not directly involved with your area of interest can understamd. SAEM and ACEP run several courses to assist in the educational development of students and residents as well as faculty interested i research.

#2. Do Not get distressed! There are some significant mundane issues and processes you need to learn in reserach and especially in grant writing, and I am also still learning and adapting myself.

#3. Take some time to review the NIH grant sites, these are actually full of information and will allow you to view previously selected proposals.

http://www.fedgrants.gov

hope this helps.

Paul

Members don't see this ad :)
I just took a class on grant writing. If this is an academic instituition usually there is a "department" of contract accounting or grants that often help out in writing the grants. I am sure that not all facilities have access to this type department though. Perhaps your one of your prior institutions would though? I know all the academic schools in my area have them. I will try to dig out my package of information and PM you some of the stuff I have.

Ha, how lucky did I get? My mentor just sent me an email for a grant writing workshop next week. Sweet!

Thanks to all that responded. I'm excited that I'm going to be a major player in a really big study (as in patient enrollment, although hopefully in clinical care too!).

Like was said before, good luck with this one and keep us informed on how it goes. Any advice you can garner from the workshop and can share with us will be most helpful (especially to me as I am staring down the barrel of having to write grant proposals for a research project I am working on).

Thanks and, once again, good luck.