Writing about disability for challenge essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gwynbleidd

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

For one of my challenge essay questions I wrote about a specific point in college when I realized I needed help with my disability (hearing loss). I wear hearing aids, lip read, etc. and normally do pretty well with it otherwise, so I never applied for disability accommodations for classes. But long story short, in this particular situation I realized I was really struggling and applied for accommodations, which vastly improved things. I framed it as being an advocate for myself and knowing when to ask for help, but I'm just wondering what other people think about the general idea of it. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Can you give the exact prompt?
“Tell us about a challenging problem you faced and how you resolved it.”

To give a little more detail (I wrote this post in a hurry before work) one of the classes I took was taught by 2 heavily accented, soft-spoken professors, in a large lecture hall where I could not always sit in the front on my “good ear side”. I’m pretty well adjusted to my hearing loss (I’ve had it since birth so had a lot of time to figure out what works lol) so prior to this I never had any issues in college, but in this instance I was really struggling to the point of not physically understanding what was being said in class. I realized I had to advocate for myself and apply for disability accommodations. Went through the whole documentation process etc, ultimately sat down with someone and was able to get the accommodations I needed to succeed in that class. Hope this extra context helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

For one of my challenge essay questions I wrote about a specific point in college when I realized I needed help with my disability (hearing loss). I wear hearing aids, lip read, etc. and normally do pretty well with it otherwise, so I never applied for disability accommodations for classes. But long story short, in this particular situation I realized I was really struggling and applied for accommodations, which vastly improved things. I framed it as being an advocate for myself and knowing when to ask for help, but I'm just wondering what other people think about the general idea of it. Thank you!
Excellent subject for this prompt!

Reactions: 2 users
Excellent subject for this prompt!
Thanks for your feedback. Also, I am wondering if it would be a stretch to use it for “non-academic challenge” prompts like UVM’s? The way I wrote it focuses more on my hearing loss and being a self-advocate, but I am not 100% sure the scope of what “non-academic” really means and if I shouldn’t talk about it because it’s in the context of school.

I already have a “non-academic challenge” essay written, but this one feels more personal. TIA!

Thanks for your feedback. Also, I am wondering if it would be a stretch to use it for “non-academic challenge” prompts like UVM’s? The way I wrote it focuses more on my hearing loss and being a self-advocate, but I am not 100% sure the scope of what “non-academic” really means and if I shouldn’t talk about it because it’s in the context of school.

I already have a “non-academic challenge” essay written, but this one feels more personal. TIA!
You would have to change the spin yo nonacademic things that were affected by your hearing loss.

Reactions: 1 user