Write your own LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seldomseen

Back of nowhere.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

M4 here, applying to EM. I did a rotation this summer at my home institution's hospital--community hospital, no EM residency--and I asked the doc i worked with for a LOR.

I've been politely reminding him of it for a while, and he just responded asking me to write him a draft of an LOR that he would then review/personalize. Essentially, i'll be writing my own LOR.

Anyone else have to do this? I feel kind of funny about it--not that i think there's any ethical problem, but because it's awkward to hype yourself up, and I'm just not sure exactly what a residency LOR should be like in terms of content, terminology, etc.

Any thoughts, advice, or comments?

Members don't see this ad.

My friend Tae had that happen to her. She goes to a DO school and I don't know if it was particular to that school or was it just her experience.

I think that I would feel awkard doing my own letter. I guess it's one way to know exactly what is in your letter though. Maybe Tae can post about what happened to her. She's an expert on everything and I know she's reading this.

I think she ended up ratting out that prof. She took everything very personally. Not sure why or what her agenda was. But I think it made her feel better.

oh, I'll also ask my roommate Kim. She might have 2 cents to contribute. she usually does.

I would go big, write an awesome letter of rec. Just like in grade school when the teacher asked you to write down what grade you wanted or thought you deserved and when it was all said and done that is what you got despite your work. I say write a great letter that is confident, but honest. Make sure you put in some weakness, but choose these carefully. Use examples from patients you had an great things you did during your rotation. have fun.