write your own LOR? help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neilc

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have been working with a doctor, and he offered to write me a letter of recomendation...he has asked me to make up an outline of what i would like him to write, and he will take that info and put together a good LOR. now, where on earth can i find a good template for an LOR, and what kind of information should i make sure he includes?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, I think this is a good idea. As a former high school teacher that had to write LORs for seniors going to college - it got tough writing those damned things without sounding like I was saying the same thing all the time.

First, it goes without saying that you need to give this doc a copy of your CV/Resume. Most likely, it has things on it that he/she doesn't know about you.

Second, sit down and think of things that you HOPE he saw in you and your performance....but you aren't sure he saw. For example, you could put:
1). I am hoping you found my enthusiasm for this field to be extrordinary (sp??).

2). One of my goals for this rotation was to display my ability to be a team player, while at the same time showing vigorous individual motivation.

3). It was my intention to illustrate to you my desire to be a self-learner, as well as someone who is pliable enough to be educated in many different ways.

I don't know...but these sound good. Don't go overboard and say something to the effect of "I want you to write on my LOR that I am the best student you've ever seen" - that would be suicide. Just think about what you honestly wanted to display to this doc....and tell him so. One good thing about this is that if you didn't do what you are writing were your intentions...it opens up the door for a very good conversation where he can say "hey, I didn't think you showed you were a very good self learner...her'e's what I was looking for in that respect" - or whatever. Many students have misconceptions of how they are perceived..and never are told so. Bottom line - Just be honest and point out your good points. You can also say something a little 'negative' - and then go on to say how you've improved:

4). I would like for my letter to mention how I was somewhat passive in my education regarding **ENT**, but that I quickly became an agressive and active learner.

Good luck - hope this helps a bit. - you may also want to ask that he write something about how you would be a hard-working, valuable asset to any residency program. One of my docs wrote in my LOR "She is a pliable individual, capable of being educated in many different ways. She will be an asset to any program."

I thought that said alot...programs don't want residents who already know everything (or think they do).

Again - good luck.

great, thanks for the awesome reply! i have few days to work on it, so that should be great.

another question: is there any format or template i should follow? or is the information in the letter all that matters?

i am just going to give him an outline, but if i need to guide him to follow a format i would like to let him know as well.

thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there,

Even better, include a copy of your CV and personal statement with your letter outline. Any person writing a letter of recommendation should have as much information as possible about the person that they are writing the letter for. Your personal statement should have good information that your letter writer can elaborate upon for an effective letter.

Good luck!
njbmd

Visit accepted.com and look for the section on tips for writers of letters of reccomendation.

One other idea is to recall a specific situation you handled well and he can frame what he says around that.

Originally posted by neilc
i have been working with a doctor, and he offered to write me a letter of recomendation...he has asked me to make up an outline of what i would like him to write, and he will take that info and put together a good LOR. now, where on earth can i find a good template for an LOR, and what kind of information should i make sure he includes?

thanks!
I let my gf do it, I was afraid my LOR would sound like my personal statement.

I had to write my own recommendations for med school- ugh! I used someone else's letter as a form- it included an introductory paragraph about how the recommender knew me, in what capacity, and for how long and what our roles had been in the workplace. There was also a "summary" conclusion paragraph about why they should take me. Good luck- for me, this was worse than writing my personal statement.

thanks for all the help, guys!

what i wound up doing was giving him an outline of things i would like him to discuss (eg. that i was a quick learner, hard worker) and i copied and referenced the recommendations to letter writers off of accepted.com

turned out well, he used the outline and added his words/adjectives. i think i got my first strong letter!

good luck to all that have to do this....it is a tricky one, really depends on what the letter writer wants.