WREBs advice!! BEWARE!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentstud99

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear fellow WREB candidates,

BEWARE of "Patient Finding Services." STAY AWAY FROM THE FOLLOWING CONS!!:

Dr. Steve Gilbert
Robert Fraser

I was totally conned by these people. They go to your school way early before the exam and they offer you all the patients that you need for the exam. But little do you know that you get the patients a day or two before the exam and when you look at the radiographs... let's just say you are getting crap. WREBs is already stressful enough, people like Gilbert intentionally prey on worried and stressed out candidates. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY and TIME with THESE CONS!! I enlisted his services for the FL exam and once I got the xrays, I knew that the lesions were too big and the perio pat was not even close to being good. I complained and he wouldn't offer me new patients nor my money back. You are better off finding your own patients or you are better off finding another service. At the end, I pulp exposed on all my restorative procedures because once I opened the enamel, the caries basically got sucked up by the high suction and there was the pulp.
So I took the exam again in another state, by getting patients in another manner (email me if you want to know more), and sure enough I did way better than I did in FL. But guess what, the candidates in front of me, on the side of me...they all enlisted Dr. Gilbert's patients. They all pulp exposed, another girl got like 5 pink slips on the first day. When I returned on the second day, half of the people around me,... the ones that used Gilbert's services, didn't show up. That's because they were already basically advised by the floor examiners that they failed the exam, (that's cause they got deducted over 30 points). As I was listening to the floor examiners, the floor examiners were talking and they were saying that the candidates that didn't show up had poor case selections and management. And that those candidates were not serious about the exam and it was good that they didn't show up.

SO BEWARE!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Patient finding services are not the way to go period. You as a dentist should know the qualifications of the criteria. I understand its very stressful getting patients but if you have friends you have possibility of patients. The best way to find patients is either through your patients pool if you are at school, next is friends, co-workers, family, spouses, etc. Out of 5-10 patients you should be able to find some decent lesions. The WREB is considerate that they want two class two lesions, which are a high find in those people who don't floss.

I took the NERB as well, and they want one class II and one class III, finding an ideal class III is 10X harder. Class III's either are too small (not enroaching the DEJ) or they are explosive.

Make a list of potential patients and take bitewings and do a quick intraoral exam. If you suspect something on a bitewing take a few more xrays. Patient finding services are flawed (except for the Florida board, where they guarantee you back ups), even those can't be fully trusted.

The WREB, NERB, etc have one thing in common they test you more on patient management and selection than actually doing the filling itself. I have looked at some of my classmates fillings they did for these exams and was not impressed. Select lesions within the criteria, make sure your patient shows up, do not mess up the paperwork/or work on the wrong tooth, do dentistry. It's easier said than done, but seriously do not depend on anyone to save you during these exams, its you, your patient, your assistant and your God.

Good luck,

DesiDentist

Patient finding services are not the way to go period. You as a dentist should know the qualifications of the criteria. I understand its very stressful getting patients but if you have friends you have possibility of patients. The best way to find patients is either through your patients pool if you are at school, next is friends, co-workers, family, spouses, etc. Out of 5-10 patients you should be able to find some decent lesions. The WREB is considerate that they want two class two lesions, which are a high find in those people who don't floss.

I took the NERB as well, and they want one class II and one class III, finding an ideal class III is 10X harder. Class III's either are too small (not enroaching the DEJ) or they are explosive.

Make a list of potential patients and take bitewings and do a quick intraoral exam. If you suspect something on a bitewing take a few more xrays. Patient finding services are flawed (except for the Florida board, where they guarantee you back ups), even those can't be fully trusted.

The WREB, NERB, etc have one thing in common they test you more on patient management and selection than actually doing the filling itself. I have looked at some of my classmates fillings they did for these exams and was not impressed. Select lesions within the criteria, make sure your patient shows up, do not mess up the paperwork/or work on the wrong tooth, do dentistry. It's easier said than done, but seriously do not depend on anyone to save you during these exams, its you, your patient, your assistant and your God.

Good luck,

DesiDentist

Very well said, especially the portion about patient management/patient selection being the true test. It isn't the dentistry that's difficult, in most cases.