WOW..what a dilemma. what would YOU do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rx27563

Hopefully 08'
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with admissions at Campbell SOP and I was told that instead of retaking classes that I made a C in fresh. year that i should instead just take more challenging classes and do well. my dilemma is should i take this one school's advice or retake 3 classes i made C's in so i can boost my gpa up to a 3.3-3.4ish...if I dont retake those and i make A's and B's in the advanced classes ill have like a 3.0. what would you guys do if u were in my shoes?

Members don't see this ad.

You're asking the opinion of other students? The school told you what they would like to see you do. What more could you ask for?

Perhaps you could balance out your schedule between new upper level classes and repeats.

I understand your dilemma. You're not sure whether the other schools you are applying to would want to see the same thing that Campbell is telling you to do. Why not call the other schools and ask? Decide which are your top choices and go by what they want. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
by getting the opinions of other students i can get a better idea of what most pharmacy schools prefer...campbell is strange in many ways to say the least..i just feel aweful having a low gpa. seems like they would have some kind of grade forgiveness.....

I am doing both - my major requires demanding classes so thats out of the way and i'm retaking gen chem which is an easy A -- definitely balance the two. Taking higher level classes and do well... yet your gpa doesnt move much - i understand your situation.

Take new classes to learn new things and earn good grades in those classes. I retook one class before, it is plain boring when studying old stuff and I did even bad than my old grade. My opinion as a student

wow what did you get C's in?

I have a much worse scenario......I got a D in g chem 1 and when I retook it I made a C. I got another C in g chem 2. My GPA is 3.0 ish if you count all the D's and C's.

Does anyone know how they calculate GPA's when you retake classes? Do they average the two grades out, only use the new grade or only use the old grade and take into account the new grade? rx27563, Im in a similar situation. I got C's in o chem and im trying to take it again but ive already graduated so its tough for me. Im pretty sure I will take it again. Now I have to decide if I should retake them at a cc or 4 year. Any advice anyone?

i actually got my C's in general chem I and II and gen. bio all my freshman year :( i feel like its messed up that Campbell will replace grades but the Campbell SOP averages them.....i just dont understand that. i did talk to someone else today as well in admissions and it seems as though GPA may not be the most important thing afterall..hopefully my 5 years work experience and stellar grades in advanced classes since will pay off. i surely hope so..i will go anywhere if i have to--egypt, pakistan, africa, england, scotland, argentina wherever this road takes me to be a pharmacist.

p.s. and once i do get in pharmacy school i will burn all my undergrad. report cards haha

Well, I know MERCER doesn't average the grades. They only take the highest grade when calculating your core GPA . But they do average everything in when they are looking at your overall GPA. MERCER didn't care if you took the classes in community college or in a university--- which is kind of annoying since they really treat A from community college same as A from a well-known top tier university...

but most of all, apply early. that's the key. early meaning like... june, as soon as PharmCAS opens up. haha :) if not, at least by early august.

i know many who got rejected their first time b/c they either applied a little late, didn't have all the pre-requisites finished, etc etc. but got accepted when they applied early with all or most of their pre-requisites.

hope this helps! good luck!

Both GPA calc and where you retake the course are really dependent on the University. I remember browsing different school sites trying to gauge which requirements were worth it and there really is so much variation. I don't remember which schools are which anymore but here's some of the variation.

Some schools will only allow retakes at a four-year, some don't care.
Some will average the two grades, others drop the original course retaken, others still will actually count both grades in the GPA calc.

I guess the suggestion is look at the requirements of the various schools, most will have an FAQ related to retakes and GPAs so that you don't have to search the school's entire site.