WOW!!! I need some feedback on this...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MS05'

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took step 1 today, and have to admit it was less than a positive experience. After getting my seat assignment I was making my way through block 1, got to question 35 and my computer froze. It turned out that it wasn't only my computer, but everyone in the testing center had the same problem. So the technician guy got on the phone, eventually came out of his little office and reset all our computers and everyone started back, right from the same question they were on when the computer froze! The only problem was that my test and of my classmates test didn't come back to the same test, it opened up on a new exam...yes, a new block 1! I was told to just keep going and that it was a new test and not to worry. I was kinda pissed, but decided that getting all worked up wasn't worth it cause it would only hurt me in the long run. So, I started a new block 1. After finishing the first block I decided I needed a break, just a minute or two to collect my thoughts after all this happened, so I clicked yes I would like a break, and my total testing time came up as 6:39:00 and then I came to the realization that the computer had subtracted the time I spent on the original 35 questions from the time I was allotted for the "new exam". No I'm not kidding, and no this is not a joke!!!! So, I went and told the tech guy that the time was wrong, and the tech guy once again got on the phone with someone and discussed the situation. Long story short, I was told that block 1 was done and that only the 35 questions would count and what we had originally thought was a new block 1, was really block two. So basically, in the end I had 6 blocks of 50 questions and 1 block of 35. Now that the test is over I'm wondering what I should do! I know I did pretty well overall, and am not really worried about my score, but am wondering if my score will be affected by this ?problem?.

Did anything similar to this happen to anyone else (probably not, but just thought I'd ask)? I'd be open to any questions or comments, and am looking for some feedback. Thanks!
:p

Members don't see this ad.

You definitely have to contact the NBME about this. From what you wrote, I understand that you only saw 35 questions on Block 1, meaning 15 were not reached and probably automatically marked wrong.

You didn't get a fair test administration. I have no idea how you'd go about complaining to the NBME, but the USMLE Bulletin might point you in the right direction.

http://www.usmle.org/bulletin/default.htm

Thanks Jaded Soul. Unfortunately, I think I'll be seeking the legal route on this one. The NBME has given me the cold shoulder and I can see the 15 points just being subtracted from my raw score without much consideration on their part.

Sorry about your experience. But you should know, your experience is more common than you think. A similar thing happened to a classmate of mine. However, the end result is that they scored the test anyway, then offered for her to retake the test for free :rolleyes: or give her a letter explaining what happened during the test that could added to her file and sent with her residency application. They DID NOT offer to grade ONLY the questions that appeared on the test.

Again, sorry....and GOOD LUCK
BOUNCYJO

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, after 3 LONG weeks, this is what I've found out about this situation...

The NBME's policy is that if you for some reason do not see a test question, it as marked as being wrong. For example, (my example) if your computer freezes during the first block say on question 33 and when it boots back up is on the next block, those 17 questions are marked as being wrong!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, WRONG!!!!!!

After much debate and arguing, this is their policy and they WILL NOT budge from it...

So, why am I writing this? Not to freak people out, rather to offer advice. This is just advice by the way...

Should this happen to you, void your test, get out of the test center and call the NBME right away to let them know what happened. Then take the test over again...they offered me taking the test again for free or to accept the grade they "calculated" for me with the 17 as marked wrong.

I don't know, I would assume, but don't know for sure that they will offer you a test for free. To me, there is no point in continuing if you know those questions you didn't see will be marked wrong, talk about breaking test concentration and spirit for that matter.

Just a heads up for everyone, hope the info helps!!!

oh my lord, thats horrible!!!! I would completely freak out i dont know how you've stayed as level headed as you've seem to have handled it all. thats really not fair at all. so, are you going to retake?

Over my dead body will I ever retake that exam. With the 17 marked as being wrong I still did well enough not to have to worry too much...

Regardless of my grade, it's the principle of situation that troubles me so much. The people over at the NBME really have no regard for you as a test taker, only for themselves. To them, you are just a number who happened to pay them $450. This policy is grossly wrong and everyone under the sun seems to understand that except them. After lots of discussion and arguing, they stand fully behind this policy and will not change it. I haven't decided exactly what avenue I'm going to go down with this and am keeping my options open.

If anyone is interested in speaking with the person "responsible" for this policy, here's her contact info.

Marian Proctor (215) 590-9457

unbelievable! those 17 questions made a big difference in your score 6-7 points at the least. although logistically impossible, ideally they should allow you to come in again, give you 20 minutes to answer those 17 questions you were blocked out and recalculate your score. definitely not make you retake the entire exam!

I think you should fight for your score.

After the incident, you should have immediately demanded a retake -- under the condition that you would be awarded the HIGHER of the two scores. The shutting down of the computer affected your concentration and induced unneccesary worry so a retest was necessary. But you should have done this immediately while the material was freshin your mind -- and ONLY if they took the higher of the two scores.

As it is now, you're in a bind. If you were to do a retest now, you would need to prepare, but there's no time for that. Also, what if you scored lower on the retest, which is conceivable since you have certainly forgetten some of the material.

I would seek some advice from you dean and possibly a lawyer to see what the law says.

Although I frequently get annoyed at our litagous society, I definitely think you should contact a lawyer. You should have been fully informed as to how this computer glitch would affect your test. You were given faulty advice by those administering the exam (" you have a new exam don't worry....), and due to that you didn't know the consequences of proceeding. Them telling you, 3 weeks, after the fact that they are sorry but our policy is to mark you wrong for the questions that you didn't do is completely ridiculous. The NBME needs a wakeup call that they need to get their act together. :mad:

Thanks for your feedback. The reason I didn't demand a retake was two fold. First, we were led to believe by the testing center and I'm loosely quoting, "this is a very common accurance and you will be graded accordingly." So of course, I assumed that meant we would have the questions we didn't finish removed. Right after the test, we went to one of the deans and explained what had happened and were told to wait for a decision from the NBME. Second, there was no way I was going to sit though it again, just because I had already done it once, and the error was not my own. Had it been, I would have gladly retaken it.

I'm already into third year so retaking the exam at this point (even though they offered us to retake it for free...because they care so much :rolleyes: ) is out of the question.

A lawsuit has definitley been discused. If we were to go after them because of mis-information as you mentioned daisy-girl, then the suit would be directed at prometric. If it were to be against their policy, then it would be the NBME. We're still considering our options. Thanks for the help though!

I've read this thread with some interest. I took Step 1 back in June 2000 and had a similar thing happen to me where the computer stopped responding and I lost about 12-15 questions in one block that just disappeared. They also didn't have a computer available for me as well and I had to sit and wait 3 hours before I could start the test which for those who have taken Step 1 know that you're nervous and agitated as is but that's another story. The test center said the same thing to me as well and I just assumed that they wouldn't be counted and didn't worry about it. Not that it matters though but it certainly doesn't seem right that you just get the questions wrong (although who knows maybe I would have). I don't think I would take the test again either if you got a good score but I would request that varience letter just in case you apply to a really competitive specialty to have on hand. I don't think I'd bother with legal action though but I guess you may have more time on your hands. Good luck though.

If anyone is interested in speaking with the person "responsible" for this policy, here's her contact info.

Marian Proctor (215) 590-9457

Please tell me that Marian was actually your proctor on this exam...that would just make an otherwise awful situation somewhat funny.

You know what else bothers me about Step 1? The fact that everybody gets a different test, the subject matter in each test (from talking to my friends) is somewhat lopsided, and if you happen to get a test with a large concentration in your weakest subject you might be in trouble.

I passed with a decent but not fantastic score. My test seemed to be very renal physiology heavy. Renal is my worst subject.

Are we just imagining the lopsidedness, that is, only remembering the questions that gave us problems, or is the test inperfectly randomized?

Anecdotally, I know I only got a handful of pharm questions. No more then ten. They were so rare that I was amazed when I got one.

Other people claim that they got at least fifty predominantly pharm questions.

What gives?

Also, what is the truth to the "20 percent discarded questions" urban myth promulgated by the people at First Aid?

Originally posted by Panda Bear
You know what else bothers me about Step 1? The fact that everybody gets a different test, the subject matter in each test (from talking to my friends) is somewhat lopsided, and if you happen to get a test with a large concentration in your weakest subject you might be in trouble.

I agree with this--it was a great fear of mine. Although the USMLE supposedly "weights" or adjusts scores based onthe overall difficulty of the questions, I was just afraid that I would get all "easy" questions in my worst area, so it would look like I did terribly on an easy exam.

Are we just imagining the lopsidedness, that is, only remembering the questions that gave us problems, or is the test inperfectly randomized?

I think there's a little recall bias going on. One might perceive a lot of questions in an area of weakness, because they agonized over them disproportionately. But I still think people get tests with very different balances between subjects/systems.

My exam seemed just plain different than that of everyone else I talked to, except one who took it the same week. It seemed that knowing First Aid and going through 75% of QBank helped me very, very little and I can't exactly explain why. I seemed to have very few questions on the "major" disease systems like cardio, pulmonary and renal, all of which are strong suits for me. Oh, and I went through the released items 3 times, and unlike most people, I think I had exactly zero repeats of those on the real exam. I'm just hoping I had a test that was weighted "difficult."

Originally posted by Panda Bear

I know this is still off topic, but just one more comment on this. I had at least two questions that were, for all intents and purposes, repeated later on in the exam! They weren't verbatim, but they were asking the exact same thing and the answer choices were similar as well. I guess USMLE policy prohibits me from saying anything specific about the questions, but they were both in biochem. I actually didn't know either of the pairs of questions for sure, but the cool thing was that when I saw one the second time, only two of the answer choices were the same as before, so I could narrow it down immediately! I looked them up afterward and I ended up getting all 4 right!

MS05`,

What happened to you was absolutely ridiculous and I hope the situation resolves to your favor. If this is such a common occurence as they claim it to be, then it is grossly negligent on their part not to have changed operating systems or undergone upgrades or whatever to make sure that this problem RARELY occurs. Moreover, again if it is so common, they should have a clear protocol to follow when such a situation occurs (ie everyone's exam is voided to no detriment to the student, and the students are allowed to take it the following day) that does not harm the student.

I am just entering medical school, so my Step 1 is two years away. But, I am angry that something like this could happen. You guys have enough crap to worry about when preparing for the exam... the computer freezing up and your losing 15 or so questions because of a technical glitch should be the LEAST of your worries.

Please keep us updated on how the situation resolves, and anything you might glean from the USMLE folk regarding what a student should do if their computer freezes up.

Thanks and good luck,

--Vinoy