wow.. i did really bad on NBME #1..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chef

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
damn.. NBME #1, predicted score of 186!! i've been studying harcore for the last 2.5 wks, did all of UW, qbank, FA top to bottom. basically no improvement at all. this is really bad news. what am i doing wrong??????:mad:

Members don't see this ad.

have you finished all of that in 2.5 weeks? if so, taking your time to learn the material is massively important...i went through UW at a frustratingly slow pace but in the end most of it stuck. try to take your time through the concepts that are giving you the most trouble. think through concepts, don't just look at a concept and say, "i am sure i could get that right if i saw it on my exam, ill deal with it then" (not saying you do this)

How did you do on UW and QBank, and what were the main reasons behind the questions you got wrong?

How did you do in your basic science coursework?

It sounds likely to me that your fundamental knowledge base may be weak, and you would benefit from more in-depth review books before you delve into a resource as "high yield" as FA, or question banks that can only cover so much in a limited period of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
First and foremost, calm down. One more time. C a l m d o w n.

I suggest you listen to GA. I know this audio is considered contraband, however if you find it give it a go. It really IS gold, and it'll definitely calm your nerves a lot listening to him; he has a certain reassuring aura even in audio form. Just set aside 4 solid days for it, about 8-9 hours a day, it's worth it.

BTW chances are you are over-thinking things on the NBME practice tests. Keep it simple. Same goes for your studying style. Get the big picture, think of everything as a story. What is the story behind CHF? What does a patient with that story look like?

Last edited:
hey..

so here's the deal. i also took UW assessment #1 the next day, and got 220. that's a ~30pt jump! on qbank & UW, i'm getting 62% correct.

i really thought that NBME#1 had many q's that i had NEVER seen on FA or UW. really strange.

oh well, as someone said there's no need to panic, that wont lead to anything productive or positive. FA here i come..

I suggest you listen to GA. I know this audio is considered contraband, however if you find it give it a go.

Goljan has his own acronym now? :rolleyes:

so here's the deal. i also took UW assessment #1 the next day, and got 220. that's a ~30pt jump! on qbank & UW, i'm getting 62% correct.

oh well, as someone said there's no need to panic, that wont lead to anything productive or positive. FA here i come..

For your own health, I seriously hope you don't invest in the stock market. :laugh: Anyhow, focus on your preparation. Until you complete your review of every subject, your percentages are going to fluctuate pretty often so just get used to it. If after your complete review you find that you're continuing to score significantly below your expected level, then come back here.

I did NBME # 1 about a month into my 3 months of studying and I scored, get ready for this, a 170. I did #2 a month later and scored a whopping 180! I took the exam a month later and did significantly better ;)

For some reason the NBME never worked for me as a way to gauge how "prepared" I was. Although, some will disagree with me and say the opposite. To each his own. Just keep your head down, look over FA and UW and you should be good.

Good luck!