Wow, got my step 1 score back today and bombed it~ any hope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jasonbaek2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
XXX

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I got the same score today, OP. I'm shooting for a sub-specialty in IM or peds: I hope it's not the end. I'm definitely happy that I at least passed the darn thing but wish I had a much better score.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
212 US MD

How does this put me for IM chances?

Breathe.

I had a pretty much identical Step 1 score and matched pretty easily, getting interviews from the vast majority of programs where I applied (and I applied primarily in California). The programs that didn't interview me were primarily ones I had no business applying to, like UCSF or UCLA.

IM is (by a fair margin) the largest medical specialty in the US. A 21X is (depending on the stats this year) 0.5-1 standard deviation below the mean step 1 score. If it knocked people out of the running for IM, there would be a LOT more unmatched candidates around.

Based on the last charting outcomes (with the caveat that the data is on the older side at this point, being from 2011 and you matching in 2016), the 21X gives you a ~95% chance of matching in IM, and I'm willing to bet those 5% that didn't match were people who didn't apply broadly enough and/or shot themselves in the foot with some other, redder flag.

You probably won't be matching UCSF or MGH now... But in no way, shape, or form have you completely ruled yourself out of IM or even (if you work hard at it) a good university program. You're still competitive for almost any community program in the country. From here on out, focus on doing well on your clerkships, preferably get a good score in your IM clerkship, do decent on Step 2, and do not obsess over something that you cannot change.

Edit: Oh, and stay away from any "What are my chances?" threads, because, at least here, they pretty much all devolve into circle jerks of people with 250s telling other people with 250s which of the top 10 they should apply to.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I bet that you will get interviews at several good university programs, and should decide between location and prestige. For the latter try:
Wake, Case, Ohio State, Minnesota, Iowa, Georgetown, GW, University of FL, Utah. All of these programs are very solid, with diverse fellowships, but are not super competitive. Take some shots!

Reactions: 1 user
Breathe.

I had a pretty much identical Step 1 score and matched pretty easily, getting interviews from the vast majority of programs where I applied (and I applied primarily in California). The programs that didn't interview me were primarily ones I had no business applying to, like UCSF or UCLA.

IM is (by a fair margin) the largest medical specialty in the US. A 21X is (depending on the stats this year) 0.5-1 standard deviation below the mean step 1 score. If it knocked people out of the running for IM, there would be a LOT more unmatched candidates around.

Based on the last charting outcomes (with the caveat that the data is on the older side at this point, being from 2011 and you matching in 2016), the 21X gives you a ~95% chance of matching in IM, and I'm willing to bet those 5% that didn't match were people who didn't apply broadly enough and/or shot themselves in the foot with some other, redder flag.

You probably won't be matching UCSF or MGH now... But in no way, shape, or form have you completely ruled yourself out of IM or even (if you work hard at it) a good university program. You're still competitive for almost any community program in the country. From here on out, focus on doing well on your clerkships, preferably get a good score in your IM clerkship, do decent on Step 2, and do not obsess over something that you cannot change.

Edit: Oh, and stay away from any "What are my chances?" threads, because, at least here, they pretty much all devolve into circle jerks of people with 250s telling other people with 250s which of the top 10 they should apply to.

Brilliant A+ post.

/thread

@gutonc should lock and sticky

Hey guys! I just got my score back as well (212...I guess that's a popular score huh?). I really want to go into rheumatology (lots of people in my family with lupus and sarcoid!). Am I reaching too far with my score or is it do-able? I'm not sure how competitive rheumatology is. I'm a US MD, and I don't really care where I go for residency although I would prefer to stay in the NE. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Hey guys! I just got my score back as well (212...I guess that's a popular score huh?). Needless to say I was pretty upset. I really want to go into rheumatology (lots of people in my family with lupus and sarcoid!). Am I reaching too far with my score or is it do-able? I'm not sure how competitive rheumatology is. I'm a US MD, and I don't really care where I go for residency although I would prefer to stay in the NE. Thanks guys!
I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt because I know receiving a Step 1 score that isn't what you wanted can be a stressful event.

If you can match medicine, you can match rheumatology. It's not quite as bad as nephro, but rheum is still among the least competitive subspecialties in IM. If you want confirmation, feel free to review the fellowship charting outcomes. Of the 15 US grads with Step 1 scores between 211 and 220 who applied rheum, 12 matched. You can calculate a percentage there if you really want, but when you're dealing with numbers that small even a single persons personal preferences can change them drastically. (Heck, you can see that of the 17 US grads with scores between 201 and 210, all of them matched)

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt because I know receiving a Step 1 score that isn't what you wanted can be a stressful event.

If you can match medicine, you can match rheumatology. It's not quite as bad as nephro, but rheum is still among the least competitive subspecialties in IM. If you want confirmation, feel free to review the fellowship charting outcomes. Of the 15 US grads with Step 1 scores between 211 and 220 who applied rheum, 12 matched. You can calculate a percentage there if you really want, but when you're dealing with numbers that small even a single persons personal preferences can change them drastically. (Heck, you can see that of the 17 US grads with scores between 201 and 210, all of them matched)

Thanks Raryn! It's comforting to know that I still have a solid chance. I'm going to do my best to rock third year and Step 2.

Thanks Raryn! It's comforting to know that I still have a solid chance. I'm going to do my best to rock third year and Step 2.

Do exactly that. Rock third year and step 2; and, many people make significant score gains on Step 2.

Even average/mediocre IM residencies can have great match rates to CERTAIN subspecialties depending on the opportunities/connections it has.

If you don't think you can get into a big name place, try to research places that have good match rates for the subspecialty that you are interested in and apply to those.

I went to a non-university IM residency that has great match rates for some things and not so good for others. Almost everyone that wants to do GI gets in, but almost no one ever goes into cards.

I didn't personally apply to fellowship but i really don't think they care about your step1 score at this level... its more about your research/getting connected with people, getting good letters of rec etc.
residency is a fresh start where your previously "tarnished" medical school records no longer matter too much, work hard towards your fellowship goal during residency and you'll probably get in.

Reactions: 1 users
Even average/mediocre IM residencies can have great match rates to CERTAIN subspecialties depending on the opportunities/connections it has.

If you don't think you can get into a big name place, try to research places that have good match rates for the subspecialty that you are interested in and apply to those.

Great thread. How do you research the match rates for subspecialties of residency programs? Thanks!

you can certainly find out on interviews, prior to that... i don't think there's any official way, you can ask around , possibly even on this forum about the programs that you are thinking about applying to

To the OP: if you want to match IM, you will definitely match IM.

Here is one useful tip (as opposed to the useless first line); apply broadly.

I didn't really understand the concept of applying broadly when I applied 2 years ago (which I couldn't regardless due to family obligations). The reason why you apply broadly is because the tendencies of applicants can change dramatically from year to year. The top programs will get the top applicants, that doesn't change as previously mentioned. But the lower-middle tier to lower tier academic institutions can have huge shifts in the quality of their applicant pool. The reasons for these shifts are many: some piece of news comes out on the interwebs that sways influence in one direction or another, geographical locations get hot - Lebron James signs a 2 year contract in a city nearby, handfuls of candidates had amazing / horrible experiences during clerkships etc etc. So when its time submit apps, apply broadly, interview broadly w/ a smile on your face and you could end up at a really great institution.

Also, I disagree with Raryn on one point: take a look at those step I 250+ threads from time to time. I always got a good laugh from seeing such ridiculously smart people incessantly seek the validation of complete strangers on the internet.

if it make you feel better I had sleep problems starting a couple of weeks before step 1, on NBMEs I took i still managed to avg at 211.

But on the real thing i got 203... so rock ms3/step 2, apply broadly, and everything will be fine?

To the original poster, I have never sent a message on here before but wanted to reassure you not to worry or over-analyze your step 1 score. I got a similar score not long ago (210), and applied IM, interviewed everywhere applied and matched to a top 10 program, which I chose because its strong research history. IM (maybe more so than other specialties) assesses the applicant as a whole and their future career goals (including the big name places, maybe even more so at the big name places), and I had many co-residents with similar scores and also those with off the chart scores. If for some reason you do not get an interview at a place you feel really strongly about, email the program director there with your reasoning and usually it works out. I would say to anyone who has a strong desire for whatever reason to go to a "top" program to have a reason why that program is for you and have evidence that you are committed to a career in academic medicine, same goes for fellowship. Best advice would be to get advice from your medical school advisors/program directors and not worry about an online forum telling you to scratch off potential IM programs simply based on a step 1 score.

To the original poster, I have never sent a message on here before but wanted to reassure you not to worry or over-analyze your step 1 score. I got a similar score not long ago (210), and applied IM, interviewed everywhere applied and matched to a top 10 program, which I chose because its strong research history. IM (maybe more so than other specialties) assesses the applicant as a whole and their future career goals (including the big name places, maybe even more so at the big name places), and I had many co-residents with similar scores and also those with off the chart scores. If for some reason you do not get an interview at a place you feel really strongly about, email the program director there with your reasoning and usually it works out. I would say to anyone who has a strong desire for whatever reason to go to a "top" program to have a reason why that program is for you and have evidence that you are committed to a career in academic medicine, same goes for fellowship. Best advice would be to get advice from your medical school advisors/program directors and not worry about an online forum telling you to scratch off potential IM programs simply based on a step 1 score.
Maybe when you applied IM was not as competitive as it is now?

Dermviser; haha I am not that old, application cycle was just, what I guess, 5 years ago, and for past two years have seen the application process/interviews from the other side at the program. I don't think it has changed that much. The majority of IM (especially "top") programs' mission is to train academic physicians, so I truly feel more than other specialties they assess the applicant as a whole and care a bit less about board scores than other specialties. Now I am not saying if you have a low board score and nothing else particularly unique about your application, you will get an interview. And they do still screen based on board scores; however, if you are interested in research/academic medicine and have a low board score, it most definitely alone will not preclude you from matching to a top 10 program. Just like a high board score alone ( though it may get you past a screening) will not allow for a match to a "top 10" program, they just see too many applications with stellar board scores to use that as a sole determinant. A high score can get you in an interview door, but a low score (obviously a passing one) does not shut the door, tried and true, been in the trenches, so apply broadly and enjoy interview season.