Wow! Academic Rheum is a major pay cut.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

todo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Medscape compensation reports (2012) shows Rheums in an academic setting make average $120k vs the almost $230 some group practices average out at.

That is a significant difference - especially when the academic track requires an extra 3rd year in fellowship.

Why is this?

What are the days/hours like?

source: http://www.medscape.com/features/slideshow/compensation/2012/rheumatology

Members don't see this ad.

The Rheum forums on SDN need a spark: not as much talk and information as the others.
I hope other knowledgeable residents/fellows can chime in.

I have not entered Rheum yet, but am intending on it.

I suspect the drop in salary is because they spend less time in clinic (seeing patients), and this billing is where the majority of the big $ come from.

An academic splits his/her time between: seeing patients, teaching and lecturing, research (bench or clinical trials). I suspect some have a hand in Pharma too (not sure about this, however?).

There is additional responsibility to apply for grants and allocate funding for research that way.

Those that spend a higher proportion in clinic will make more.

Thanks to all those who can provide more feedback.

Ciao

Members don't see this ad :)
There is additional responsibility to apply for grants and allocate funding for research that way.

I'd like to add that this additional research component of an academic can be time consuming - as applying for grants often is. This may also take away from clinic time.
However, not all Academic spots have to be incredibly research intensive - focusing more on teaching, for instance, can be an option.
I believe there are varying tiers of research involvement one can choose when beginning a career in academics - in other words, it varies on where one works.

I'd also prefer to hear some other feedback on the matter.

Academic anything regardless of specialty is less than their counterparts in private practice in the community.

Last edited: