Would you recommend starting a grad degree during PGY2, PGY3 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr_almondjoy_do

So Very Happy to Be Here!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know internship year is tough, but how is life after PGY1?

I really want to get an MBA or HHA after graduation, and I know things don't get any easier after graduating, so is it impossible?

Members don't see this ad.

maybe?

why is pgy1 so much harder than pgy1+ ?? i thought pyramid schemes were not done anymore :p

Yes they are still done, and you work like a SLAVE during intern year, while the senior residents take 2 hr lunches to play golf.... true story....

I don't know about the rest of the world, but that is what I see where I rotate. I just wanted to know if it was a conflict or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,
It doesn't matter if you are shooting for an MBA, HHA, MPH, MHA, etc. In the real world sense, ALL those degrees are W.O.T. (Waste of time). There is NOT ONE SINGLE SHRED OF EVIDENCE that getting those extra degrees make any difference in your income or job prospects...PERIOD. It does not affect the way you practice, and in terms of the financial game of private practice, you either have the skills, or you don't, and no degree will change that. Need I remind you that the richest man in the world today is a COLLEGE DROPOUT (Bill Gates). Of the docs whom I know who happen to fall into the "very rich" category, not a single one of them have ANY of those extra degrees. SO why waste your time when you are in a very intensive training period (residency). To sum it up...

THE JUICE AIN'T WORTH THE SQUEEZ

Reality is a Beyotch, huh???

PEACE!!!!

-Derek

It is possible, but the logistics can be overwhelming. Even though there is more free time as a PG 2+, especially in FP, your residency still comes first. Can you arrange your call schedule around class? Will your fellow residents trade call so you can take your exams? What about your family life? What about patient care? Will it add anything to your future practice? I considered the MBA program as a resident but I didn't think it was worth the hassle. Something to think about anyway. Good luck!

dr_almondjoy_do said:
I know internship year is tough, but how is life after PGY1?

I really want to get an MBA or HHA after graduation, and I know things don't get any easier after graduating, so is it impossible?

Its a great idea-- if you plan to become a physician-administrator for an insurance company or HMO. With that MD behind your name you'll have extra credibility when you deny us payment. ;)