Would you recommend 7on/7off schedules to other specialties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peppy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am actually visiting this forum from Psychiatry because it seems that very few psychiatrists have had experience with working a "7on/7off" schedule. Since you guys have more knowledge of how this works from having actually lived it yourself, I was hoping you might have some advice (or warnings) about it before I commit to this.

Sure, having a solid week off at a time seems fantastic. However, do you feel that working 7 days at a time all the time becomes too stressful/disruptive to make it worth it? Obviously psychiatry doesn't have the acuity of IM, but I am expecting that I would end up working similar hours on my on days based on the number of inpatients/consults/admission calls I'd be taking.

Is this one of those situations where it is better for young, energetic single people and might be a major drag on an older person with a family? Or do you feel that the time off makes up for the stress and gives you enough flexibility that even with a family it would be worthwhile?

Thanks for any insight!

Members don't see this ad.