Would you rather get a 221 on 1st attempt or fail and then get a 240?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tsbqb

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

What does anyone think?

Members don't see this ad.

What does anyone think?

I wouldn't do either. I'd rather postpone my date for a few weeks and study hard for 240 on 1st attempt. If u think u have the potential for a 240 on the 2nd attempt then why not now? And ur failure in the first attempt won't help ur morale either. I really doubt there will be much improvement. So stay calm n focus now. Don't be in a hurry to fail or get a mediocre score in the exam that ur future greatly depends on.

I wouldn't do either. I'd rather postpone my date for a few weeks and study hard for 240 on 1st attempt. If u think u have the potential for a 240 on the 2nd attempt then why not now? And ur failure in the first attempt won't help ur morale either. I really doubt there will be much improvement. So stay calm n focus now. Don't be in a hurry to fail or get a mediocre score in the exam that ur future greatly depends on.
What if postponing is not really a choice? What if I lose $750 if postpone it now since I have already have taken the extension.

Members don't see this ad :)
What if postponing is not really a choice? What if I lose $750 if postpone it now since I have already have taken the extension.

Well then, if u still hope of getting a 221 after an extension (and hence a more or less thorough preparation), how can u possibly think of 240 next up? I don't think u'll suddenly find some treasure of knowledge from somewhere...
Just go for it n accept whatever u've got.
Btw ur $750 won't come back even if u fail. Instead of walking into the exam wishing to fail, Do not go.
Bottomline is: Extension of study time to get a good score > 1st time pass(if obliged to do so) > failure on 1st attempt

What does anyone think?

I will take the 221 any day!!! I can match somewhere w/ that. Not a highly ranked place, but somewhere. I don't want to fail and end up in North Dakota or Idaho somewhere.

failing is the worst possible outcome under any conceivable set of circumstances.
Agree. In my mind this question is on the level of pre-meds asking if they should drop a class they're getting a B+ in. There are far too many programs in all specialties that will simply trash your application if you failed the first time around, regardless of how awesome your second score was or how great the rest of your app is. I'm pretty comfortable asserting that any specialty or program you aren't competitive for with a 221 is something you're less competitive for with a failing score and then an astounding one. I know we're dealing purely with (stupid) hypotheticals, but keep in mind that the likelihood of someone who failed Step turning things around and rocking an 80th percentile score on round 2 is virtually zero. Also, 221 is average - better than half of med students! Why the hell would you not take that score?

Failing Step 1 is a disastrous outcome. It cannot be compared to doing poorly on the MCAT as you have literally been preparing for 2 years for this test. Doing well on Step 1 is certainly hard. Passing Step 1 is not by any means. The vast majority of students at US schools could take the exam cold after 2nd year and pass so failing is horrible.
So to answer your question I'd take a 190 on step 1 on my first attempt over a fail and 240 on retake.