Would you pay less attention to research done by an OT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CurlyHairedGirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a mid-life career changer from the computer industry that has some health issues. I've always assumed that I wouldn't be able to do the heavy manual therapy required of outpatient PT or the heavy lifting required of inpatient PT. So I have been taking prerequisite classes for OT and have gotten an offer letter for an OT school starting this fall.

After graduation, I would like to do research or design programs related to injury prevention or preventing re-injury primarily in the middle aged population. I figure young adults have sports medicine and fitness magazines and have more resilient bodies. The elderly have more time to do their home exercises. But prevention has the potential to make a big difference in the future health of people who still have a long life ahead of them.

Take someone who injures themselves, doesn't have time to go to the doctor and start therapy promptly, sits on their butt for a year, gains 30 pounds, and then is diagnosed with diabetes. Or is released from therapy feeling fine, and several months later returns to the activity that caused the injury, has, a major flare-up, but when they try doing the exercises they were doing at the time of discharge, those are too advanced, and cause more problems. Or goes to a fitness class with an instructor that doesn't have any awareness of what exercises can aggravate existing injuries.

If someone with a MOT, OTD, or Ph.D in Rehab Science did studies in those areas, would you discount the research because they weren't a PT? Would other health care professionals, medical journalists, or the general public not pay as much attention?

I'm debating applying to University of St. Augustine's dual MOT/DPT program, but I'm not sure if I could handle the physical demands of being a practicing PT in the long run.

Members don't see this ad.

First, the physical demands of a PT are probably not much different than those of an OT. Second, I think most don't discount any research if it is properly done, no matter the credentials after the author.

Could someone who has cerebral palsy, limited body strength, and is confined to a motorized wheelchair be a PT without the constant assistance of a PT assistant or rehab aide? Would they be able to get through the full range of things they are required to learn in PT school? There are OTs who have those difficulties that have plenty of job choices and don't need help.

Or more relevant to me, would an overweight, out of shape 40 year old with multiple recurring injuries (mostly lower body) be able to make it through? Repetitive stress on hands is a problem, which is why I shouldn't be writing this on a tablet with one finger.

One problem I see in the very young (including new health professionals) is lack of understanding of the difficulties of getting back in shape when you are older. I've been eating my words a lot from what I said 15 years ago.

I've had multiple PTs tell me that with the physical demands of being a PT, after a point it is easier to go into management or teaching.

Some OT jobs have similar physical requirements to PTs. Other OT jobs have similar physical requirements to child psychologists.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Could someone who has cerebral palsy, limited body strength, and is confined to a motorized wheelchair be a PT without the constant assistance of a PT assistant or rehab aide? Would they be able to get through the full range of things they are required to learn in PT school? There are OTs who have those difficulties that have plenty of job choices and don't need help.

Or more relevant to me, would an overweight, out of shape 40 year old with multiple recurring injuries (mostly lower body) be able to make it through? Repetitive stress on hands is a problem, which is why I shouldn't be writing this on a tablet with one finger.

One problem I see in the very young (including new health professionals) is lack of understanding of the difficulties of getting back in shape when you are older. I've been eating my words a lot from what I said 15 years ago.

I've had multiple PTs tell me that with the physical demands of being a PT, after a point it is easier to go into management or teaching.

Some OT jobs have similar physical requirements to PTs. Other OT jobs have similar physical requirements to child psychologists.

To your first question: the severity of CP would determine whether or not they could do it. For example, I know of a girl with CP who is an all conference basketball player and scored over 2000 points in her career. She could do it. Being confined to a wheelchair would make it much much more difficult.

Second question: There are plenty of us overwieght out of shape 40 somethings that are PTs. That said, if you are able to move around there are facilities that are smaller so you wouldn't have to do a ton of walking, some are larger and you might put 3-4 miles on your feet every day. Some therapists do a lot of manual therapy, some do not. If you planned on doing a lot of manual therapy, a tendency for overuse problems might get in you way. But then again, some OTs do a lot of manual therapy also (think hand therapists or OTs who work in a burn unit.)

Regarding your last point: there are a variety of circumstances and practice patterns in PT and OT. for example: if you are an OT working in acute care or long term rehab, you will have to do as much or even more physical work than the PT. None of us are really supposed to be lifting people but in some places it happens.

In summary, the amount of physical labor you have to be able to do really depends upon the setting in which you work.

No, I wouldn't. As long as the research done is meaningful, of interest, and was carried out with sound methodology. Just because the PI was an OT doesn't mean I'm going to discount the research automatically. With the way things are shifting in the medical world, collaboration is key. For the benefit of our patients. There's some great research I've read by OTs and SLPs that have been very applicable to my patients undergoing PT. Of interest, however, is the qualitative studies done by OTs (more so than PTs). These types of studies give us a different viewpoint or perspective into some of the psychosocial or more ambiguous constructs not normally measured in quantitative studies (normally done by the majority of PTs).

yes,the amount of physical labor you have to be able to do really depends upon the setting in which you work.thanks
QwqhZC

I am a mid-life career changer from the computer industry that has some health issues. I've always assumed that I wouldn't be able to do the heavy manual therapy required of outpatient PT or the heavy lifting required of inpatient PT. So I have been taking prerequisite classes for OT and have gotten an offer letter for an OT school starting this fall.

What is this heavy manual therapy you're talking about? I think people really don't understand the physical demands (or lack thereof) of outpatient ortho PT.

After graduation, I would like to do research or design programs related to injury prevention or preventing re-injury primarily in the middle aged population. I figure young adults have sports medicine and fitness magazines and have more resilient bodies. The elderly have more time to do their home exercises. But prevention has the potential to make a big difference in the future health of people who still have a long life ahead of them.

I think there are things you need to consider. First and foremost is the difficulty in designing a study that actually proves prevention. The other is the area in which you wish to do research - musculoskeletal injury. I don't know what preparation you get regarding MSK injury in OT school, but I can say with fairly high certainty that the vast majority of practitioners in this area are PTs. So, do you feel that OT school will adequately prepare you for your end goal?

Take someone who injures themselves, doesn't have time to go to the doctor and start therapy promptly, sits on their butt for a year, gains 30 pounds, and then is diagnosed with diabetes. Or is released from therapy feeling fine, and several months later returns to the activity that caused the injury, has, a major flare-up, but when they try doing the exercises they were doing at the time of discharge, those are too advanced, and cause more problems. Or goes to a fitness class with an instructor that doesn't have any awareness of what exercises can aggravate existing injuries.

If someone with a MOT, OTD, or Ph.D in Rehab Science did studies in those areas, would you discount the research because they weren't a PT? Would other health care professionals, medical journalists, or the general public not pay as much attention?

I'm debating applying to University of St. Augustine's dual MOT/DPT program, but I'm not sure if I could handle the physical demands of being a practicing PT in the long run.

No benefit to the MOT.DPT program, other than helping St. Augestine's bottom line.
I outlined the misconceptions most people have regarding the physicality of outpatient PT above.

Sorry. I replied to the initial post within the body of the quote and tried to use a different color but it's hard to determine what are my responses vs the initial post. I'll try to edit.