Would you have gone to an MD school if you were accepted into one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's competitive enough to get in though.

Sometimes..... This is the same thing I said to Voldemort back in the day..... For every 3.6/30 admitted there are several that are not (it may be closer to 1:1, or some other completely non-made up ratio.... but whatever). That is thin ice territory. You need to really emphasize everythign else in your app and make sure you tie things in your essays into things you really want them to look at over and over again. Because it is you and about a bajillion other people with just those stats applying for the same seat.

Members don't see this ad.

Keep in mind this bias also exists against men. I was rejected by a goood 20% of all patients on my ob gyn rotation.

True, but OB/GYN's biased is slightly understandable. If a patient (woman) is more comfortable with a woman, rather than a man, then they should be allowed to be seen by a fellow woman/whomever they want. I know that some people can equate this to "Why can't hispanics chose to be seen by a hispanic" but I always argue for the patients and whatever gets them comfortable when it comes to their health.

I hold no biased and don't care who I'm seen by as long as they are competent doc's, but not everyone is such an ideal patient :cool:

And please keep in mind there are VERY VALID reasons why women want female OB/GYNs. Especially women who are sexual assault and rape survivors may not want a male OB/GYN for obvious reasons.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's funny, because when I hear OMM , I think Sith....

cranial technique:
1257331281_vader-leia.gif

cervical HVLA:
1128661_o.gif

pizza theft:
81478533.gif

Hokey back-cracking and holistic philosophies are no match for a good scalpel by your side.

Hokey back-cracking and holistic philosophies are no match for a good scalpel by your side.

I wanted to find an exception just to be a pain in the ass about this.... best I could do was come up with things where neither was warranted. Shucks

It's competitive enough to get in though.

What I meant was that it is NOWHERE near competitive enough to ensure an MD acceptance weakening the poster's assertion that he will necessarily be choosing DO over MD.
Sometimes..... This is the same thing I said to Voldemort back in the day..... For every 3.6/30 admitted there are several that are not (it may be closer to 1:1, or some other completely non-made up ratio.... but whatever). That is thin ice territory. You need to really emphasize everythign else in your app and make sure you tie things in your essays into things you really want them to look at over and over again. Because it is you and about a bajillion other people with just those stats applying for the same seat.

I would say for 1:2-3 personally, but your point stands.

What I meant was that it is NOWHERE near competitive enough to ensure an MD acceptance weakening the poster's assertion that he will necessarily be choosing DO over MD.

I would say for 1:2-3 personally, but your point stands.

Eh, I'd wager that anyone with a 3.6/30 not from California who applies intelligently (early, broadly, etc) will get into MD. Just my opinion though.

White applicants with a 3.6/30 get accepted to MD schools at a rate that's somewhere greater than 55% but not more than 74%:

https://www.aamc.org/download/157958/data/table25-mcatgpa-grid-white-0911.pdf

Yeah, I've seen that chart and a lot of others. All I know is that in my experience with old friends, classmates, and work I have yet to see someone be accepted with a GPA of 3.6 or less without a very high MCAT (34+). And just peruse SDN forums. They are dozens and dozens of examples with people who did not get into any MD schools with 3.6/30 or better (yours truly). Not to mention the hoards of people who are too embarrassed to post they did not get in.

Yeah, I've seen that chart and a lot of others. All I know is that in my experience with old friends, classmates, and work I have yet to see someone be accepted with a GPA of 3.6 or less without a very high MCAT (34+). And just peruse SDN forums. They are dozens and dozens of examples with people who did not get into any MD schools with 3.6/30 or better (yours truly). Not to mention the hoards of people who are too embarrassed to post they did not get in.

Well then your experience is unrealistic. Many people get in with less than a 3.6/32. Half of matriculants actually since that is the national median.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Well then your experience is unrealistic. Many people get in with less than a 3.6/32. Half of matriculants actually since that is the national median.

California.

California.

Oh well then lol. California is atypical and an unfortunate place to live when it comes to applying to med school :(

Members don't see this ad :)

I dont think that is the appropriate measure. It isn't about who gets in, its about who gets rejected. Many people with those stats have unsuccessful years. It isn't really about applying broadly and intelligently. What sorts of places have lower averages without state bias? Most of the lower stat school have ridiculously low oos rates

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

I love star wars.

Specter, lets be honest here. You don't really love Star Wars...you like arguing a third party perspective that agrees with neither side regarding the disput between the Galatic Empire and the Rebel Forces.;)

Specter, lets be honest here. You don't really love Star Wars...you like arguing a third party perspective that agrees with neither side regarding the disput between the Galatic Empire and the Rebel Forces.;)

Pretty sure I just got called Han Solo.

I was thinking Chewbacca...always barking about something and most can't understand what you're trying to say.

I was thinking Chewbacca...always barking about something and most can't understand what you're trying to say.

I'll cut you :D

But well played

Threepio could. Technically the smartest character in the movies. Still works out ok

Star Wars huh? Capt. Kirk is my favorite from that show.

Somebody force choke him
Do it NAOW!

not cool bro

You have fail me for the last time MedPR.

But if he could be turned, he would be a powerful ally.

Really, you should be forced out of America forever for that one. Some things are just not said.

I'm the brains, sweetheart.

Alternatively, since I'm guessing at least 1 of you isn't as nerdy as you appear to be. I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Alternatively, since I'm guessing at least 1 of you isn't as nerdy as you appear to be. I find your lack of faith disturbing.

You can go about your business...move along.

Brains of what?? How can you have a good conscience mixing star wars and star trek? It's not natural.

And don't call me sweetheart.

Brains of what?? How can you have a good conscience mixing star wars and star trek? It's not natural.

And don't call me sweetheart.

And we've found the weakest link!

I don't know about you guys, but I wish I could tear this page out of SDN and stick it on my wall. It's been fun. On that note

This will be a thread long remembered. It has seen the end of Kenobi and will soon see the end of the troll rebellion.;)

Then I will leave you with one final parting thought. For you MedPR

DO not be too proud of this thread terror you have constructed. The ability to troll an thread, even an entire forum, is insignificant, next to the power of the OMM.

then i will leave you with one final parting thought. For you medpr

do not be too proud of this thread terror you have constructed. The ability to troll an thread, even an entire forum, is insignificant, next to the power of the omm.

:hungover:

Pure quality guys. Pure quality.

Then I will leave you with one final parting thought. For you MedPR

DO not be too proud of this thread terror you have constructed. The ability to troll an thread, even an entire forum, is insignificant, next to the power of the OMM.

When I read this the first time I thought you had typed URM, not OMM. :thumbup:

There is a russian doctor by my house who is a DO, Facial Plastic Surgery + ENT. That is pretty impressive (if you are into that, I am not). Just wanted to give hope to those interested in very competitive residencies. Going DO does NOT mean you are not competitive enough for those hard-to-get residencies.

When I read this the first time I thought you had typed URM, not OMM. :thumbup:

a missed opportunity for increased personalization, perhaps.

:D

There is a russian doctor by my house who is a DO, Facial Plastic Surgery + ENT. That is pretty impressive (if you are into that, I am not). Just wanted to give hope to those interested in very competitive residencies. Going DO does NOT mean you are not competitive enough for those hard-to-get residencies.

She's Russian.... not American. Theres your answer :p Russians are much harder working, dont require fast food and a TV with the football game. They are machines man!:laugh:

She's Russian.... not American. Theres your answer :p Russians are much harder working, dont require fast food and a TV with the football game. They are machines man!:laugh:

So am I, but yet I still sucked on my MCAT :thumbdown:

Why did you assume that the doc I was talking about is a She? Just wondering!