Would you go to a school knowing there would be 2 ppl of your race/ethnicity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NotSur

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Woud it be silly to expect more than that?

Sure, if I wanted to attend that particular school. Most black and latino folks are pretty used to being the "only" or one of a "few" in educational endeavors. The one sure thing about medical school is that you are so busy that you hardly notice what color anyone else is. People tend to get their business taken care of and the rest of the stuff doesn't matter.

I think outside of top schools/hbcu's, you might not have a choice(with exceptions of course). I'm personally used to it so I probably wouldnt even notice/care.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I would. I'm used to it.

All I care about is getting M.D. behind my name. I can form friendships with other minorities outside of school. In fact, I prefer to have a support system that also includes folks outside of where I spend the majority of my time.

I would hesitate, but I would probably still go if I really liked the school. Like others said, this is not a social club I'm here to do work.

... but if I was on the fence about a school, it might make me lean the other way. I'm getting kinda tired of being THE minority :rolleyes:

Sure, if I wanted to attend that particular school. Most black and latino folks are pretty used to being the "only" or one of a "few" in educational endeavors. The one sure thing about medical school is that you are so busy that you hardly notice what color anyone else is. People tend to get their business taken care of and the rest of the stuff doesn't matter.
Well put.

OP If however you have several options and you feel uncomfortable at that particular school, then you have subconsciously made the decision already.

I did it in undergrad and will definitely be the only minority or 1 of 2 in vet school.

The only place that this would not be the case (for the 28 Vet Schools) is to attend Tuskegee.

If you are used to the situation it won't be a problem. I think only you can make the decision as to whether this is going to be too much for you to handle. I think it will also be dependent on your attitude about being the only one. If you don't care, they won't care.

I would not even hesitate.

Looks like I'm about to. I'm going to one of the new schools and from the people i met at the second look and the half or so of the class on facebook looks like I might be the only chocolate man there lol.

Maybe.

Of course it depends on many different variables. If I absolutely loved this school, then I definitely would go. If the school was in a city/town that gave me access to certain cultural resources, then I probably would still go. If I went to the school's second look and felt incredibly comfortable with my future classmates (regardless of how many people looked like me) then I probably wouldn't give it a second thought. And the list goes on.

However, going to medical school and moving away from what is familiar is a huge adjustment. As a person who has traveled all over the place (many times alone) and who has spent every summer since 7th grade away from home, I think that I adjust to changes better than the average person. Med school has definitely given me some trouble. There is something to be said about being comfortable in your environment. Med school is stressful enough so it is probably wise to keep other stressors to a minimum. Anyone who says that the social aspect of being in school doesn't matter deserves the side-eye. Sitting at home with your books on a daily basis gets old quickly and it's important to have interpersonal interactions to alleviate the stress. I couldn't imagine going to a place where I had no one to call when I needed a ride to the airport or when my roommate loses the laundry card and I need to borrow a clean towel *cough*cough*. Naturally people migrate to those who appear to have the most in common with them so I think having more than 2 black people around would help you feel more at ease. Yeah yeah yeah it's important to interact with different kinds of people but any person of color who has gotten this far CLEARLY should have learned that by now. You don't have to be one of 3 in a class of 200 to learn how to do that....it's assumed you've learned it at this point.

So I think that the more important aspect of this is to think about how well you interact with the people in your class, provided you get the opportunity to mingle with them before officially making a decision. Unfortunately most people don't really get to see how well they mesh until orientation or anatomy when they're forced to work in small groups.

Don't throw away a great opportunity or unique experience out of fear...but don't feel like you have to suffer either. Keep in mind that it's very possible to make friends outside of your class so if your school is in a city like Chicago or D.C., there are plenty of ways to connect with other black professionals or pre-professionals.

yup. jus hit up sum clubs after class.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it was the only school I got into.

I'd also want to know more about the surrounding community. Is it on one campus with other grad schools where there are hopefully other people of color? What about the city itself?

People like to say medical school is medical school, but if you have choices, any characteristic can be used as a discriminating factor.

For the record, I only applied to one school that was like you were describing (literally like 2 Black people per class, located in a very homogenous city, with the nearest big city with a diverse URM population a 2 hour commute away). If it was the only school I got into, yeah, I would have gone, but in retrospect I shouldn't have applied, I never really wanted to go there anyway, and as awesome as the school's curriculum was, it couldn't make up for its lack of diversity (it had other faults of course, but you get my point).

tough call. if i really liked the school otherwise, and it was clearly better than my other options in other important factors (or my only acceptance) then id go.

YES! Even though those who know me could describe me as an eccentric afrocentrist in thought, race held very little weight when deciding on schools post acceptances. I wanted a school that could best allow me to flourish as a Medical student period. Medical school is only four years long, I would have went to the boondocks of Teton Village Wyoming if I thought it was the best fit.

Last edited:
I definently would if it was the best place for you. I was only one of 8 blacks in my undergrad class and now there are about the same in my med school class. One thing I've learned is that its not a big deal unless you make it a big deal. Go to the place that is best for you. The other things will work themselves out.

Growing up, my sister and I were the only black kids at our school. It did not bother me then and I doubt it would bother me now.

I would. I've been faced with a similar situation before. In school, it was just 2 of us out of about 20 kids. Now, the next question would be if I'd go if this institution was located in the remote mountaintop or out there in the wilderness - probably not.

I agree that the surrounding area has to be taken into consideration when making the decision to attend a school. In my situation, I have been the only or one of three at the most minorities (not just black students) in a class of 100. However, the rest of the university had a diverse population and was in an area where I didn't feel like the only when I stepped out of class.

This fall, I will be attending a college of veterinary medicine as one of possibly 3 minorities, again. I am aware of the area, where I can get my hair and make up taken care of, and the general attitude of the city population. If you did not attend near the school you are looking at, I would strongly recommend multiple visits to make sure that you feel comfortable with the surrounding area as well as the campus.

If you notice double takes when you're in the Wal-Mart, this is probably not the place for you.

Yes, I would. I'm used to it.

All I care about is getting M.D. behind my name. I can form friendships with other minorities outside of school. In fact, I prefer to have a support system that also includes folks outside of where I spend the majority of my time.

That's exactly right. I'm in a school where I am one of two black folks. The only thing that is important is getting that diploma. You really aren't gonna find diversity in medical school, so don't go looking for it... get plugged into a good church or some other outside group for that. No time for worrying about that stuff. Get in there and do work...

... but then laugh when the school PR people come ask you to be in every photo they take around campus. Or give them the "angry black man" face. That will give you a smile on the inside. :D

Looks like I'm about to. I'm going to one of the new schools and from the people i met at the second look and the half or so of the class on facebook looks like I might be the only chocolate man there lol.

Keep us updated on what the class demographics turns out to be once you're their in the flesh. I'm all curious now.

Is it unfair to say that white's have a harder time with this than other ethnics? (in America at least it seems)

My friend is working in Korea right now, and he was telling me about how his white co-workers are having a hard time adjusting to the culture. They are very put off by their interactions with Koreans when compared to that received by my friend (who's asian). They have been there for almost over a year now. My friend find its rather "amusing." (Not to be cruel) but that he feels like that's something the minorities in America have to deal with regularly. American minorities however seems to adjust, compensate, and overcome and don't let the fact that they may be one of the few of their kind hinder them.

Dont get me wrong. it's just a thought.

Yeah, I can see that.... that older countries with a more closed or rather old way of thinking would tend to be less open to strange people.

In America there's a general mixing of ideas and cultures, and so I just assumed that they would be accustomed to these different cultures or open minded to them... however, it seem like they are more comfortable with cultural differences when they are in the majority. I've noticed that whites are more easily detoured from being where they are in the minority. I've brought my white friends to an Asian party, and they just really felt out of placed. I've been the only Asian at plenty of parties, and it just never occurred to me that they would feel awkward at an "Asian party." It just never occurred for me to mention it when they asked, "Oh, what kinda party is it?"

It's probably more difficult for folks from less diverse parts of America to attend a college like Howard or Morehouse. Even in California, the universities here have a large Asian population and it's a little bit of a culture shock within their own homeland for caucasian sometimes.

Last edited:
I can't deny the fact that it is very difficult at times but I'm completely okay with it. I might not have old notes, past exams, and all the other stuff that people share with one another but at the end when I make it I know I MADE IT and my race or background has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
I would like to go to a school with more diversity than 2 African American students. It would be nice to have a strong minority presence and a very involved SNMA chapter. I am just a little fearful of picking a school with adequate minority numbers in the past and having one of those off years where I would be the only African American in my class like I know occurred in the past at a couple of schools.

I'd love to go to a diverse school in a diverse city; however, my goal is to get into and graduate from medical school. To that end, I will go where ever I get in and if it turns out that I am the only African-American or one of a a few in the school, so be it. I have a strong support network of family and friends and I put in 18 in the military. My faith in God carries me through a lot as well. I'm prepared to deal with whatever comes my way...

Although I would prefer to be at a more diverse school I would attend if there were only 2 ppl who looked like me. My goal first and foremost is to become a physician. Regardless, throughout the majority of my education I was one of very few minorities in general (ie. anyone non-white) so it wouldn't be an unfamiliar experience for me. I wasn't able to attend a "diverse" school until 10th grade and even so my classes were not diverse. I was the only black girl in all of my AP courses. At my university nearly all of the blacks that I knew were pre-med (at some point or still are) which includes many of my best friends. It has been nice to be able to take classes with them and have a great support system as we have gone through this journey. However, I consider myself lucky to have this experience and I know it is not the norm. Some medical schools only have 5 urms in a given class. Although it might be factored into my decision in some small capacity, it is not something that will be the deciding factor. At the end of the day you have to go where you think fits you best and will offer you the best opportunities to succeed. I agree that the location would be a bigger factor to me than the makeup of my actual class. IMO it would be a much better scenario to be in a diverse city at a school lacking diversity than to be in an area that is lacking in the diversity department. I think it might be more of a culture shock/difficult adjustment to attend medical school in south dakota than to have a class with only 5 URMS in Chicago :)love:).

There are 3 blacks in my class of 43 and i'm the only black male. It hasn't been a problem for me. The only funny thing was when my white, Jewish prof explained the "black experience in America" to me in a class about racism and healthcare. That was hilarious.

The thing with white folks. Is. That we're basically a skiddish group. Here in California for example there is a running projection in the media that gives a date for when all the other minorities combined will outnumber the caucasoids by simple ratio. This is bizarre. That we would consider ourselves a minority when compared against every single group of people combined.

Illustrating. Our basic discomfort with the idea. Myself even with an unusually extensive--by caucasoidal standards--experience being the only pink dot in the room--barbacking in a black night club, living in a black neighborhood, working on all black or latino work crews...even with this I still wonder if I get the chance to go to a HBCU, if the people will accept me. With my black wife at cocktail parties and such.

It may be irrational. And it would not deter me in the slightest if given the chance to go to Howard for example. But it might take a month or so to get comfortable. While I see how I would be recieved. Escpecially given my wife is black. Some folks, no matter how much education, they just don't like seing a cute little sister under my arm. Like I've wronged them in some way. Without me saying a word to them.

Any advice for a white dude trying to go the opposite way with this question. I am holding out for HBCU acceptance and will go if given the chance. So any advice is appreciated.

And what about pledging black fraternities. Is is too late for the dream of learning how to step. I'm 35. Thoughts?

There are 3 blacks in my class of 43 and i'm the only black male. It hasn't been a problem for me. The only funny thing was when my white, Jewish prof explained the "black experience in America" to me in a class about racism and healthcare. That was hilarious.

Come on, do share... Please...:D

I would definitely go and not think twice about it. For someone without a lot of social interaction with people out of your race, it would be good practice, learning to mingle with everyone freely. Because in your professional career, there will be many times when you are one of the few, if not the only, black person there. So if you've had 4 years of interaction, then when those times come up in the future, it should come natural for you to be able to communicate to all races around you and not feel excluded our out of place.

definitely because I want to get into any school I can

See but i don't think the issue is mingling with people out of your race. The issue is would you really want to go to a place where lack of diversity exists that there may be a class say of 98 white people, 2 black people, maybe 1 latino, and 4 indians.. Just put that in perspective. And if you are in a city which also lacks diversity that means racism may exist and other discrimination may exist. i live in boston and know of at least one black person who deals with plenty of discrimination from the story I hear from a friend. And that's boston where real diversity does exist. Imagine being in one of those smaller places in the deepsouth where its much worse and sadly there are still people with the beliefs of the KKK in parts of the deep south. Its pretty scary sometimes from the things i've heard from people over the years. But that being said, I think you go where you get accepted and don't apply to a school if you think its going to be a horror story from hell. I mean anywhere you are accepted is a place you chose to apply so the better question is would you even consider applying to schools that may be in such areas or with such lack of diversity.

Very true. I actually crossed all of those places off my potential med school list and posted in regards to the schools I was only interested in. I don't think I'd prefer to be in that deep south setting, having to deal with odd interaction with Billy Bob and Bubba on a daily basis (no offense, I'm from Cali!):)

Good question. I think I may be the only Latina in my class this year; I got into med school, and I could not be happier. However, I am thinking about how different I am from the rest of the students, and how that's going to affect me. I am Colombian, came to the states when I was 16, and obviously English is my 2nd language. I am proud of being who I am, of my heritage, and my culture; I worked so hard to get where I am, and I finally going to be a Doctor. I knew I would be willing to move to the end of the world if I got accepted. Now that I finally got in, I am a little nervous because I am pretty sure it's just gonna be me and no one else...

I think most of us have already been situations where we were alone or one of a very few number of minorities. It shouldn't be too much of an issue unless of course, there's blatant racism going on. But I can't deny that more diversity = better. Although it wouldn't be the end-all, it would be one of many factors that ultimately contribute to "fit" (for example "why are there so few minorities there?" might be something to consider). In the end, it all depends on your options and how important the school is to you.