Would you ever refer a patient to a DC ....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DO's use their hands.

Chiro's use an Activator (a.k.a. pogo stick) or another object that I could only describe as a "car buffer."

Some of the techniques are similar, and some are different. OMM stays more within the anatomic range of motion, and uses actual medical diagnoses prior to treatment. Chiro's blame everything on "subluxation."

OMM also incorporates techniques often used by physical therapists.

I know this post is from forever ago, and I tried to resist chiming in. But this is the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time. Staying within the anatomic range of motion?? And, what, DCs are routinely entering patients into the pathological range of motion??? And I don't know any DCs that use their hands...Duhhh! This exemplifies the misinformation that gets perpetuated in certain circles, although this goes beyond misinformation and deep into Stupidville.

Members don't see this ad.

I know this post is from forever ago, and I tried to resist chiming in. But this is the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time. Staying within the anatomic range of motion?? And, what, DCs are routinely entering patients into the pathological range of motion??? And I don't know any DCs that use their hands...Duhhh! This exemplifies the misinformation that gets perpetuated in certain circles, although this goes beyond misinformation and deep into Stupidville.

I too read this thread a few times and tried to keep from chiming in, but the issue we have here it total 'misinformation'. I feel that in our profession we do not get out there enough to tell the medical community what we do and what we are capable of. We need to do this more to erase the boundaries that have been set by ill informed MD's and work to change the mindset of those out there that have misconstrued visions of our profession.

The last thing we need to do is to educate MD's and DC's to work together (as I did when I was in school) to help treat patients as a whole, work on bringing the professions together and breaking down those boundaries and mindsets that have no merit and only hinder the patients in the long run.

I have both MD's and DO's that refer to me and other Chiro's and I refer to them. If something is out of my scope (which rarely happens) then I have no problem referring and the physicians that I work with have no issues with referring to me when they feel there is no need for medication.

I think that DCs can be useful for lower back pain when there has been a rule out of an impinged nerve etc. and the diagnosis is muscle spasm. I would personally prefer to refer to a DO though, although in this case a DC would probably be fine.