Would you do it over again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess what I am trying to get at is, discouraging people from "niches" or "specialties" in vet med because of some fear that someday they will all be out of a job is a bit silly. Hell, small animal general practice is a niche itself.

While it's great in theory that vets have such a diverse skillset, in reality we only use a small part of it and, inevitably, neglect the rest. We can't help but fall into niches; there is simply too much we learn and are expected to know.
I guess we have differing opinions then, for me I think its best to acquire a broad experience in the various fields rather than just specialize in small animals. I like the varied experiences but some people might not like it

Members don't see this ad.

No.

Here's a tip for those lurking. If you think you want to be a veterinarian, work at least part-time for at least two years in at least two practices as staff in a general practice companion animal clinic/hospital. Because like it or not, that is the most readily available job in this profession. And I don't mean as the kennels kid or the receptionist. You need to work not only with the doctors, but the clients, in the exam/treatment/surgical suite rooms. Live the life, as they say.

If I had done so I would not be typing this today.

Did that for 7 years and while it will definitely give you insight to the profession, you can't understand what it is like to have a patient that you at responsible for until you are actually a veterinarian. It just isn't possible to understand until you get in that position. But, having experience will at least get some people who think vet med is not about people to change their tune.

I don't know if it's regional, but I do know a lot of the non-clinical jobs around here require extra training. I am unlikely to get hired into government work having been a small animal/mixed animal GP for 2 years. Most of those jobs ask for a MPH or similar post-grad training.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I guess we have differing opinions then, for me I think its best to acquire a broad experience in the various fields rather than just specialize in small animals. I like the varied experiences but some people might not like it

I'm sure people would like it, but it's not very practical or realistic for most practicing vets (and given the additional pressures/requirements put on vets who venture outside the clinical norm).

Reactions: 1 users
Is the cost of education (or more specifically the debt:income) different in Australia? I can see a "jack of all trades" approach being much more viable here in the U.S. if the debt:income ratio weren't as high as it is.

I know one guy who does a bunch of different things - shelter work, locum SA stuff, some research. But that's one guy. And he's 20 yrs into practice with no debt issues. And has a personality that just can't handle going to the same job day in day out.

It would be an incredible financial stress on me to do just about any other veterinary job than what I do.

Did that for 7 years and while it will definitely give you insight to the profession, you can't understand what it is like to have a patient that you at responsible for until you are actually a veterinarian. It just isn't possible to understand until you get in that position. But, having experience will at least get some people who think vet med is not about people to change their tune.

Yeah, that's the bummer. I mean, the advice to do it a few years is good - better some info than no info, for sure. But it really is true that you can observe someone be responsible for a case, but you can't understand it until you do it.

I see pre-vets talk all the time about 'understanding' what it's like to deal with nasty clients, case failures, being responsible for medical errors, whatever. But you really can't until it's actually your license in play.

I don't know if it's regional, but I do know a lot of the non-clinical jobs around here require extra training. I am unlikely to get hired into government work having been a small animal/mixed animal GP for 2 years. Most of those jobs ask for a MPH or similar post-grad training.

I have been trying for years to find a non-clinical job. Part of the problem is my own (geographic limitations), but there just don't seem to be as many non-clinical opportunities out there as people seem to think.

Applied for an industry job just last week and I even live smack dab in the middle of the territory for the job.... fingers crossed, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to remain optimistic.

Reactions: 1 user
I have been trying for years to find a non-clinical job. Part of the problem is my own (geographic limitations), but there just don't seem to be as many non-clinical opportunities out there as people seem to think.

Applied for an industry job just last week and I even live smack dab in the middle of the territory for the job.... fingers crossed, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to remain optimistic.
Geography and the willingness/ability to relocate is definitely a big factor in non-clinical jobs. In the past I've seen a few that I would have loved to apply for, except they weren't where I lived and I was unwilling to move to where they were.