Would you do a rotation in a Florida ICU rn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JibsGuy52

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Serious question. Would you? I have one booked and the way it’s going in FL, especially as an out of state person, I’m leaning towards cancelling this.

Members don't see this ad.

I would much rather walk in on my parents doing it, than do an ICU rotation in one of the most backward states, who’s leaders refuse to take action, while being the lowest person the totem pole when it comes to divvying up PPE, all while trying to make a good impression on attending and also actually learning something.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
My only problem is I have another rotation in Cardiology (what I want to end up doing), the following month. I’m stuck. Not sure how to proceed.

Members don't see this ad :)
You’ll get to do all the rotations in Residency so doing Cardio as a student will likely not help you (application wise).

Getting COVID and having your education derailed is not worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you not have any home residency program for IM? My school has strictly told everyone to not do aways this year. Also all my aways cancelled, and those still accepting students made them fill a form specifically asking if we had home opportunities.

Did you not have any home residency program for IM? My school has strictly told everyone to not do aways this year. Also all my aways cancelled, and those still accepting students made them fill a form specifically asking if we had home opportunities.
DO Student with no home program. My 2nd semester is going to be online loaded, so I wanted to get as much experience as I can first semester.

DO Student with no home program. My 2nd semester is going to be online loaded, so I wanted to get as much experience as I can first semester.
ahh makes sense, well I actually think that may be a boon for you. I wish i didnt have a home program so my aways would have actually considered me lol

Serious question. Would you? I have one booked and the way it’s going in FL, especially as an out of state person, I’m leaning towards cancelling this.

It depends on the hospital and how they are managing COVID.
For example, my hospital is in Orlando. We have 7 medical ICUs in this facility. Two of them have been converted into a big COVID ICU (at one point we had four of them closed to non-covid patients). Medical students are not allowed in the biocontainment units. Medstudents are also not allowed in rooms of patients who are under investigation (ie: COVID test pending in the lab). All students are fit tested for N95 before they can rotate with us. And our hospital has no shortage of PPE.
I'm surely biased, but it would be safe to rotate here. YMMV.

I would much rather walk in on my parents doing it, than do an ICU rotation in one of the most backward states, who’s leaders refuse to take action, while being the lowest person the totem pole when it comes to divvying up PPE, all while trying to make a good impression on attending and also actually learning something.

See above. And state government does not equal hospital administration. Those of us in charge of medical education consider the safety of our fellows, residents, and students, to be of the utmost concern.

Reactions: 6 users
If you can afford to drop it, I'd drop it.
If you can't, then, in addition to having a very frank talk with whoever's in charge of the rotation about COVID and PPE status of the hospital and what they expect of you re: COVID patients, I'd strongly suggest buying yourself a p100 (in case they don't have PPE for you or run low during your rotations) and wearing it the entire time you're in the building.

Yes. I'm not immunocompromised and I'm not over 60.