Would you choose FAMU or UPitts over Purdue? (Undergrad)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parkj2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am currently senior at highschool in Indiana.
I applied 9 schools, and currently got accepted to 6 of them.
I am still waiting to hear from 2 more schools, but so far:

University of Cincinnati(pre-pharm. $5000 scholarship/yr)
University of Pittsburgh(pre-pharm)
Creighton University(pre-pharm, $12000 scholarship/yr)
Purdue University (pre-pharm)
Florida A&M(pre-pharm)
University of Rhode Island (as undecided major)

I applied colleges where bascially I have no idea, just based on my college advisor...What a shame!

Anyways, I am thinking to attend UC, UPitts, Creighton or Florida A&M.
I am interested in UPitts and FAMU especially because FAMU is 0+6 yr program and is located in Florida.
And I have heard good things about UPitts.

BUT NOT PURDUE because I heard purdue's pre-pharm is now 3+4 years program,
and very competitive to get in grad school.
Especially when you're international student.. AND IM CONSIDERING GOING INTO RETAILS../pharm company

I am international student, money is not a huge issue, don't care about rankings as long as the school has good reputation.
But I want to live in nice enviornment (weather, transportation, people, urban...) since I will probably live there for 6+ years.
I can't wait to escape from out of no where in Indiana!

Where would you go if you were me, according to school's reputation, connection to job market, and surrounding environment?
Would you still NOT choose FAMU or UPitts over Purdue even if you aren't interested in research?
And does anyone know anything about FAMU? Is it good school? I know its black school. but that's all I know.

thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If I were you I would go with the top 10 school Purdue

Rankings:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...aduate-schools/top-pharmacy-schools/rankings/

I would too... I don't know much about any of the other schools except FAMU. FAMU is an HBCU in a great college location (Tallahassee) and you would have interaction with students from nearby FSU and TCC, but I don't know very much about the pharmacy program because I believe it is a 0-6 program and I have a bachelor's degree so I didn't apply to that particular Florida school. People say the rankings don't mean much... but if all else is equal I supposed I'd chose the school that you know for a fact is highly regarded in the pharmacy profession.

>>> Oh yeah PharmTech... I applied to nearly the exact same schools you did except for Nova! (I go there now for a master's program). I tried to apply to South also but I couldn't get in to finish A&P II before the summer so I guess the accelerated programs are out of the question for me. I just thought it was pretty funny we have almost the exact same pharmacy designations. = )

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
is purdue really 3+4?
i thought its 2+4... im planning to attend this coming fall........

I'd imagine Purdue is cheaper than the others thanks to in state tuition...so I'd go there. Pitt and Purdue are pretty equal schools. The one FAMU grad I've met was a pretty damn good pharmacist, but she told me that her school sucked...lmao...

Purdue is changing some of their pre-req requirements for students that would start the PharmD program in Fall 2012. It's still doable in two years though.