Would you attend Kaplan LivePrep if it was free?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JBlue

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school pays for kaplan to do their live prep course for us at the end of our sophmore year. It is 3 wks and it starts this Wed. So far I have been planning on skipping it and just doing my own thing with my schedule, selected books, qbank and if I need it, the webprep. Lately however, I have been having this nagging feeling like maybe I will be missing something. I am not a classroom person (though I do really like the Goljan lectures and some of the webprep lectures) and I think that sitting on my butt with my classmates for 8 hrs. a day with Step looming will really just stress me out. I also worry about only having 2 weeks to study once the kaplan course is over. Am I being stupid to not attend the live prep if it isn't going to cost me anything?

Members don't see this ad.

JBlue said:
My school pays for kaplan to do their live prep course for us at the end of our sophmore year. It is 3 wks and it starts this Wed. So far I have been planning on skipping it and just doing my own thing with my schedule, selected books, qbank and if I need it, the webprep. Lately however, I have been having this nagging feeling like maybe I will be missing something. I am not a classroom person (though I do really like the Goljan lectures and some of the webprep lectures) and I think that sitting on my butt with my classmates for 8 hrs. a day with Step looming will really just stress me out. I also worry about only having 2 weeks to study once the kaplan course is over. Am I being stupid to not attend the live prep if it isn't going to cost me anything?

2 wks to study afterwards??

I wouldnt worry about missing out then, especially if you know you're not a classroom person. I think after two years of med school, we know how we study and you're not magically going to become someone who needs classroom lectures all of the sudden.

JBlue said:

I'm not and never will be a lecture person, but depending on who the lecture was, I'd probably go to some. Personally, I detest qbank, I found it to be a waste of time more than anything, while I did get up to answering 80% of the questions properly, I found myself learning the questions and question style more than the material. But I'd find a list of who the instructors are, and if there are areas in which you're weaker than others, go to those lectures in particular. just IMHO.