Would you all still be complaining about new schools if we had a significant increase in residency spots?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The assumptions in that paper were based on a ten year period in 2014 which usually involved only 2 or 3 DO schools opening per a year. We had like 6 schools open last year. NBOME is accelerating our path. I agree that some GME is increasing. And I agree that it is less than the amount of students being added to both MD and DO schools.

On an aside, I think it might be time for an SDN break for me. I am getting a little pickled with all this saltiness.
I used to think that was the case too. However, it doesn't appear to be that way the past few years at least (if we're strictly looking at number of ACGME PGY-1 positions.)
2016 had 27,860 PGY 1 positions, 2017 had 28,849 positions (an increase of about 1000), 2018 had 30,232 (increase of 1400), and 2019 had 32194 (increase of a whopping 2000 positions.)
I understand the merger is partly responsible for this, so we'll see how it plays out the next few years after the 2020 merger is complete.

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone clear up something for me -- can programs who have fully switched over to the ACGME accept MD students now? Or do they have to wait until 2020?

Can someone clear up something for me -- can programs who have fully switched over to the ACGME accept MD students now? Or do they have to wait until 2020?
They have already been accepting MDs (both US and IMG).
For example, in the SGU 2019 match list, you will see some students matched to programs with "osteopathic" in their name.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A small healthy shortage is a good shortage. Not to where patients suffer but to prevent hospitals from winning out since the government is on the hospitals side anyway.

The next match is in 2020 anyway so for most applicants it doesn’t matter