would you accept a call from a student? (shadowing)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elvingomez

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the DO's out there, how do you feel about students calling you for shadowing experience? i have never shadowed, and would really like the opportunity to shadow a DO. People tell me to just find a DO in the area and call them up... seems a bit weird to me, kinda like telemarketing(and i cant stand telemarketers :scared: ). I am in Southern California, actually, a couples of miles from COMP, so i know there are DOs in the area. Im just not sure as to how i should go about speaking to one. any help, thoughts, or suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

elvingomez said:
For the DO's out there, how do you feel about students calling you for shadowing experience? i have never shadowed, and would really like the opportunity to shadow a DO. People tell me to just find a DO in the area and call them up... seems a bit weird to me, kinda like telemarketing(and i cant stand telemarketers :scared: ). I am in Southern California, actually, a couples of miles from COMP, so i know there are DOs in the area. Im just not sure as to how i should go about speaking to one. any help, thoughts, or suggestions?
Its ok to call them.

medic170 said:
Its ok to call them.
thanx for replying, do you just call their office and ask their secretary about the opportunity?

Members don't see this ad :)
elvingomez said:
thanx for replying, do you just call their office and ask their secretary about the opportunity?
I would consider calling the COMP admissions office. Let them know you're interested in becoming a DO. Most schools have lists of docs that are student and shadowing-friendly. Perhaps they could set you on the right path.

elvingomez said:

yes, there is nothing wrong with doing this. If you feel weird doing this, another thing you could is call up the Alumni office at the closest DO school to you (I'm assuming that this is Western) and ask if they can refer you to an alumnus that readily takes interested shadowers.

wbdo

cdreed said:
I would consider calling the COMP admissions office. Let them know you're interested in becoming a DO. Most schools have lists of docs that are student and shadowing-friendly. Perhaps they could set you on the right path.

dang, you beat me to the punch

maybe through the alumni of your undergrad?? Mine kept a database of grads who would be willing to help others with stuff like this.