Would working as a primary care technician help a IMG when applying ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThreadMaker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
for residency? As many of you know US clinical experience is one of the most important components of an IMG's application. So I was wondering say an IMG can't find an observership or externship after graduation, would working as a primary care technician help him during his residency application? Meaning would it count as US clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm especially asking because I know that observerships are criticized for not allowing the student to do anything, whereas working as a technician would be allowed to "do something". Then again the position is so low one wonders whether doing something in that position would even matter.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

I don't think serving food and helping patients dress would count as clinical experience.

I don't think serving food and helping patients dress would count as clinical experience.

lol well yes I know that. The job descriptions described a lot more than that however. Although I guess maybe they're exaggerating.

lol well yes I know that. The job descriptions described a lot more than that however. Although I guess maybe they're exaggerating.

I think that it would not help. Also an observership can be very counterproductive imo. For example we have an observer who is foreign, and he basically does not do anything other than stare. I find him more annoying than anything. This person can't really interact much with attendings since he have no privileges, cannot touch patients during procedures and cannot demonstrate any competence with anything as a result. That makes him look more bad than good. Observer's English is also not very good, which makes them look even worse.

If this is your situation, stay away from an observership. You are more likely to annoy staff than help your cause. Try to do something meaningful if you can.
A patient care technician is not likely to help you.

Perhaps finding research with the ocassional rounding with the team or patient interaction might be more helpful.

for residency? As many of you know US clinical experience is one of the most important components of an IMG's application. So I was wondering say an IMG can't find an observership or externship after graduation, would working as a primary care technician help him during his residency application? Meaning would it count as US clinical experience?

No.. this would not count as clinical experience.

Is doing this better than doing nothing? Sure.
Is doing this better than working at walmart? Sure.

But this is the kind of work that people do in order to show their interest in medicine in order to get into medical school. It does not give you the level of clinical involvement necessary for a residency application.