Would this be considered "irregular activity"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clair de Lune

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK perhaps I am just being paranoid, but If I jot down a bunch of formulas on my dry erase board as soon as I get in and start the test, will I get in trouble for trying to cheat? I'm just afraid that by the time I get to a question where I need to use, say, that Fick equation that I won't be able to remember it!

Members don't see this ad.

Why would it be cheating? You brought the equations into the room in your head? You are just writing them down. Go for it.

Why would it be cheating? You brought the equations into the room in your head? You are just writing them down. Go for it.

Exactly. You're allowed to write down whatever you want on those dry-erase boards if it'll help you (once you begin the exam). However, you just have to have them erased when you finish the exam and turn everything in.

So if I don't get any equations in the first block...then decide to take 5 and go get the equations and write them down (from memory of course) and then take block 2, I'm still ok?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know, I was thinking about doing that (& reviewing some of the pharm stuff too) between blocks. Maybe we should check with an official Step 1 person first though b/c the last thing I need is a report of irregular activity on my CV.

Be super careful about studying in between blocks. The way I read the description of break time, I thought I could do whatever I wanted while on break, but when I actually took the test, I wasn't allowed to leave the center or use a telephone, let alone study something. (Had to bring lunch with, was allowed to step outside for fresh air, but in sight of the proctor...)

Maybe your test site will be a little more lax.

Good luck!

ok, what about using your own body for anatomy questions? i'm not talking putting your foot up on the desk so you can count your toes, but let's say you forget if the artery running in the antecubital fossa is medial or lateral and you're reaching for anything so you check. is that considered suspect activity?

lindyloohoo said:
ok, what about using your own body for anatomy questions? i'm not talking putting your foot up on the desk so you can count your toes, but let's say you forget if the artery running in the antecubital fossa is medial or lateral and you're reaching for anything so you check. is that considered suspect activity?

checking for direct and indirect hernias is fair game. just try not to disturb people around you with your coughing

on the intro tutorial that NBME has on the web, it basically says that looking at your notes as long as you're not IN the actual testing center room is fine.

"You will not have in your possession any formulas, study materials, or notes of any kind unless you are out of the examination room on a break between blocks of the examination."

Hey,

I took the USMLE yesterday and I was at a Sylvan learning center. I went outside on a break to eat some food and I quickly looked at my first aid notes to check on some things I was unsure of. No one said anything and it didn't seem like it was a problem. My boyfriend took it on Friday and called me from a break he took in his car while he ate lunch. They didn't seem too strict where I was, although I bent down to tie my shoe while I was in the middle of a block and then I got paranoid that they would think I was looking at something so I sat back up quickly and almost bumped my head! :) he he

Hope this helps. The staff at the testing center were SO super friendly and nice, that really helped to calm me down right before i went in.