Would this Americorps position be considered non-clinical or clinical volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RespectTheChemistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today, I had an interveiw for an Americorps position. They have VISTA positions and Public Health AmeriCorps positions. It is a network of free clinics. The site director said that the VISTA is not clinical at all but the Public Health Corps would involve more clinical stuff.

My interview with a site director/supervisor today went well. I have an interview with the boss's boss next week.

They said the Public Heath position would have a clinical component but both the Public Health and VISTA would involve some community engagement/outreach telling people this resource is there and other support projects.

With these being free clinics, would the Public Health Americorps be considered non-clinical volunteering because half of it would be non-clinical community service even though the other half would be effectively free clinic volunteering? They have more of the Public Health positions available, so I'd be more likely to actually get a position if I say that's my preference. My question here is essentially what to say my first choice is followed by "...but I'm flexible" when I go on the big interview next week.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Public Health Corps would involve more clinical stuff. ...
Could you be more specific what responsibilities are clinical? What's the actual title of the position? Are you working under the supervision of physicians or other clinical staff? Are you touching patients or just getting histories?

Take the paycut so you can help people and learn about their needs that are not met by society. Don't do it because it will help your application.

Reactions: 1 user
Could you be more specific what responsibilities are clinical? What's the actual title of the position? Are you working under the supervision of physicians or other clinical staff? Are you touching patients or just getting histories?

Take the paycut so you can help people and learn about their needs that are not met by society. Don't do it because it will help your application.

I didn't get that level of specifics from the site director. I'll get a more specific job description from the director of the whole program on Monday. Thank you for your reply. I'll post again on Monday night when I know more.

I apologize I didn't make it clear enough in my original post. I certainly feel strongly about the mission of the program and am excited about the possibility of helping the community.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Will you speak with patients or be in physical proximity to patients as they are being treated? That meets my definition of "clinical". If you will be out and about in the community, talking with residents in the community and informing them of the services available in the clinical setting, I'd call that non-clinical volunteering as it is more outreach to people who are not patients (yet).

Reactions: 1 user
Will you speak with patients or be in physical proximity to patients as they are being treated? That meets my definition of "clinical". If you will be out and about in the community, talking with residents in the community and informing them of the services available in the clinical setting, I'd call that non-clinical volunteering as it is more outreach to people who are not patients (yet).

I was able to find some official job descriptions. They are better at hide and seek than me. :) The site director and I also have different definitions of clinical.

It seems like the vast majority of positions are the latter (out and about in the community or helping with organizational stuff at the clinic) although a few of the Public Health Corps positions would have a physical proximity component.

Thank you and @Mr.Smile12 very much for your help. :)

Reactions: 1 users