Would taking Cal I while studying for the PCAT help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

favored

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on taking the August PCAT. DO you think it would be beneficial to take a Calc course at a local community college while I'm studying for it?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you not taken calculus before? You'll have to take it at some point for a prereq, so before the PCAT makes the most sense.

If you already know calculus and are just thinking of taking it as a review, I wouldn't bother. Just get a review book - IMO the math isn't all that hard, just difficult to finish in time.

Have you not taken calculus before? You'll have to take it at some point for a prereq, so before the PCAT makes the most sense.

If you already know calculus and are just thinking of taking it as a review, I wouldn't bother. Just get a review book - IMO the math isn't all that hard, just difficult to finish in time.

I definitely agree with Angela and more, its very important to do lots of practice problems of all various mathematical topics tested. This would help develop speed, proficiency, and confidence.

As said before, you need the minimum of Calculus I or you risk a low math score leading to a lower composite score. If you plan to take the PCAT in August as part of a goal to be in the Fall 2009 admissions pool, then yes, you need to somehow get that calculus knowledge in your head by August.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with everyone else here. It had been 4 years since I had taken any math (calc was the last math I took)-and I BOMBED the math portion (thankfully I was in the 90's on everything else, so I ended up being okay). Point is, it will lower your overall score. So if you haven't taken it, I would strongly suggest that you do.

I would try to get into a summer class for Calc if your planning on taking the PCAT in Aug. But if you have to take calc fall semester, at least move your PCAT to OCt. My math section on the PCAt was like 60% Calculus.