Would Should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transformer

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I got really really low gpa stats, is the fastest way to get an interview at a pharmacy school is to score really high on the PCAT(>90)?

i got an overall gpa of 2.8, and science 2.5

In my case, if you were to choose between improving PCAT or GPA, which would you guys concentrate on from now (april) to July???

I got 2 years of tech and volunteer experience at hospital and retail pharmacy. BS in biology at university level. And like everyone, I really want an interview. What can I do to get one? quit my job and go back to school full time?

any help is much appreciated. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

you really really need to strengthen your science GPA. Most schools won't even give you a look lower then 3.0. If you can do that, then you really need to do well on the PCAT. Preferably with high science/math scores. Your score should naturally go up with a higher GPA, but certainly a PCAT prep course wouldn't hurt either.

The GPA work is more imporatnt to you.

I guess I have a couple of questions for you:

1. Did you take the PCAT already, or are you hoping to score >90% when you do take it?

2. How many hours of coursework have you completed? Are there any pre-req courses in which you got less than a C?

A high PCAT score doesn't automatically off-set the GPA (at least in my opinion) if the GPA doesn't meet the school minimum. I think you are right at that line - many schools I looked at required at least a 2.5 GPA to be considered.

That being said, if you have just a couple of years of school under your belt, you may consider re-taking courses where you got a C (or lower) - many schools won't accept anything less than a C in a pre-req anyway. Bear in mind though, that your old grade and new grade will probably be averaged (unless the school where you are applying has grade forgiveness - you'll have to check each school for that). If you already have your degree, or are close to it, raising your GPA would be very difficult. For example, I have my B.S. already and I took 14 hours of courses last semester and got all A's. My overall GPA went up by 0.02 points.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I've actually given you any advice. If you are looking to do something quickly, I would focus on doing really well on the PCAT. Research the schools where you are interested in applying to see if your GPA and grades in pre-req courses meet their minimum requirements - if not, then you will know what you have to do regarding those courses.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
In regards to ajh88's questions:

1) yes I have taken PCAT 3 times. Scoring in the 50s with minimal amount of studying. I am thinking about either focusing my efforts on PCAT and scoring as high as possible or on my GPA. In this case, I need to raise both

2) I have completed all pre-req courses and am in the process of retaking all classes with C or below. According to PharmCAS, I've completed a total of 178 hours of college level course work.

ajh88, Im in a similar situation. I am thinking about working a lot less at the pharmacy and re-taking more science classes. This sounds crazy but I'll do it even if it means raising 0.02 or 0.01 in a quarter or semester.

I graduated and earn most of credits from a university on quarter system. If i were to take classes at a semester school, wouldn't I be able to raise my gpa faster than if i were to retake classes at a school with quarter system??? (1 semester unit = 1.5 quarter units)

If you include summer, then there are 3 semesters or 4 quarters a year. It doesn't matter where you take your classes, in the end...they will add up to be the same amount of credit hours whether it was taken at a quarter system school or a semester school.

I recommend retaking a few science courses that you got C in. There are a few schools that will allow you to repeat and then will take your most recent grades. For example, University of Nevada gives you a 5 year limit on your courses. So after 5 years, they will expire and you can retake them and start on a clean plate.

Some schools do like their students to go into a master program such us Pharmacology. If you do really well in the program, I know a few schools do favor that. Someone just got into Appalachia with a GPA of 2.7 and PCAT of 90 with a lot of experience. So it depends on how you want to approach it. You can retake the science courses, do well and apply next year. But since your GPA is not competitive, a high PCAT score is a must. Good luck studying.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Your words are much appreciated.

As of this moment, I think it is imperative that I raise my science gpa and my PCAT score. (of course easier said than done)

On a happy note, just retook molecular biology and earned an A-. I failed the class the first time because I didn't study. I know If I stay focus and work really really hard, I know I'll become a pharmacist one day :)

I don't mean to sound discouraging, but to just hope that your PCAT score will jump from 50 to 90 by studying is a bit of a pipe-dream. The PCAT is a compilation of two years of college education which you've either retained or you haven't. Most people that I know find the study guides are worthless. The test is designed to force you to draw from all of your prepharmacy knowledge.

That being said, start retaking classes. Your GPA is not competitive, and the only way to make it so is to retake any class in which you got less than a B. Then think about whether or not you have retained the information from the classes in which you did score high. If not, brush up.

I don't fault you. When I was young I did not take school seriously at all. I waited until my 30's to start thinking about pharmacy school. If you apply yourself now, you can bring your GPA up. But wait until you are REALLY ready before retaking the PCAT. You don't get an infinite number of chances on that one.

One question. If you took the PCAT twice without studying and scored in the 50s, why did you take it that 3rd time?

Hello Howsoonisnow. thanks for your honest comments.

Regarding your question on taking PCAT the third time, at the time I barely graduated; taking about 3 to 4 upper division classes since it was my fifth year in college, and finanical aid grants were not offered after a certain amount of quarters taken. All in all, I do not have a good excuse. I was trying to do too much all at once. I should've held off on PCAT after graduation and take a Kaplan class to help me review my basic chemistry,biology,and math. My biggest lesson is like many people, I too have limits. Taking your time and doing well is much more worth than having to speed through everything and receive bad grades or scores (im learning that the hard way)

I also agree with you when you say it is questionable whether i can raise my PCAT score 50 to 90. I can tell you right now, my strengths are math, biology, and chemistry. Those 3 subjects can be mastered in short amount of time (2 - 3 months). Nevertheless, the reading, vocab, and writing takes a longer time to improve. In addition, I have a job and work a lot too; so if I were to go back to school and take 2-3 science classes each quarter or semester and study the PCAT; I think I will be spreading myself really thin.

maybe you're right. Retaking a few science classes before taking the PCAT wouldn't hurt.

My advice is to work on your PCAT. And if you have time take a class or two to bring up your GPA. I have a similar GPA (2.8) and science GPA (2.48). I think to be guaranteed at least an interview with these GPA's you need at least a 90. If you do master the math/bio/chem sections with 99's I'm sure you'll get a score in the 80's at least, even if your other two sections are significantly lower. And one mistake I made this application cycle was applying late. People told me that I probably would have had a chance for an interview if I applied really early during the summer months. I've been rejected from all my pharmCAS schools so far, I'm still waiting on two, but I'm assuming since it's late in the game, there's no chance for an interview. So apply as early as you can.

Farmer, I thought you were already accepted.

Transformer, I retook some classes I got C's in and brought up my GPA by 0.2-0.3. Even though I have a zillion hours, the C's don't count cause I replaced them. Plus it shows an improvement, that you've matured since undergrad, etc. PharmCAS will count your C's though, so apply to non-PharmCAS schools. Good luck! I hope you get an interview at Belmont!

Transformer, I retook some classes I got C's in and brought up my GPA by 0.2-0.3. Even though I have a zillion hours, the C's don't count cause I replaced them. Plus it shows an improvement, that you've matured since undergrad, etc. PharmCAS will count your C's though, so apply to non-PharmCAS schools. Good luck! I hope you get an interview at Belmont!

Yeah I am. Hehe, I guess I made it sound like I wasn't. I guess what I was trying to talk about was admission for PharmCAS schools. I was going to wait for another response from one of my PharmCAS schools, but I didn't want to risk and lose my spot at Belmont.

I don't mean to sound discouraging, but to just hope that your PCAT score will jump from 50 to 90 by studying is a bit of a pipe-dream. The PCAT is a compilation of two years of college education which you've either retained or you haven't. Most people that I know find the study guides are worthless. The test is designed to force you to draw from all of your prepharmacy knowledge.

I don't know if I entirely agree with this comment...you HAVE to study for it, in my opinion. If he just took it a couple times with minimal studying, but then really spent a lot of time on it, I think you could raise your grade considerably. I don't, however, think it looks great that you needed to take it 4 times to get a good score. I hadn't had those pre-pharm classes anywhere from 9 to 13 years when I decided I wanted to go to pharmacy school so I studied my *** off for about 3 months and got a 90. I think I would've probably gotten a 50 as well if I didn't study much. :laugh: I actually kept track of my study time and I ended up putting almost 300 hours of study in, averaging 3 hours/day for 3 months!! :eek: Obviously it paid off. Also, I almost exclusively used the Kaplan and Baron's books and I thought they were rather good. Just try to work really hard and get that PCAT up...at the very least, it's the easiest thing you can do to help yourself. (As opposed to raising your GPA) Good luck to you...I hope you make it!

Umm, did anyone notice that the original question was asked over a year ago?

Umm, did anyone notice that the original question was asked over a year ago?

Obviously not. Hey I'm not the one that brought it back from the dead. I'm not even sure how this happens...do people just scroll throught like 30 pages of threads and answer random stuff?

In regards to ajh88's questions:

1) yes I have taken PCAT 3 times. Scoring in the 50s with minimal amount of studying. I am thinking about either focusing my efforts on PCAT and scoring as high as possible or on my GPA. In this case, I need to raise both

Why would you take the PCAT "with minimal amount of studying"? Especially, why would you take it the second or third time without studying tons, after you already knew your scores weren't very good? Sorry, but that attitude dumbfounds me.

I'd say this summer retake a class you did poorly in that also covers PCAT material. For example, take o-chem or calc. Then it will also help you study for the PCAT. You also need to make studying the PCAT your life. You'll need to improve both and focus on both.

Why would you take the PCAT "with minimal amount of studying"? Especially, why would you take it the second or third time without studying tons, after you already knew your scores weren't very good? Sorry, but that attitude dumbfounds me.

I'd say this summer retake a class you did poorly in that also covers PCAT material. For example, take o-chem or calc. Then it will also help you study for the PCAT. You also need to make studying the PCAT your life. You'll need to improve both and focus on both.

AngelaCL, your absolutely right, taking PCAT with minimal amount of studying was really a dumb thing to do. I realized that after I took the PCAT multiple times. My composite score didn't really change. My verbal and reading went up but my sciences and quantitative went down since I graduated from my university and was forgetting the knowledge.

I cut back on my work hours and am retaking Calculus and Organic Chemistry right now. Its obvious I have to get As in both classes since they are retakes. And like you said, the positive side of that is these two classes will help me review for the PCAT.

There is an alternative to retaking these classes if you just want to brush up for the PCAT. Ask the schools if they would allow you to audit classes.

Please clearify your meaning of "to audit classes"

I am assuming you mean Taking the class without having my final grade recorded in my transcript?

From Last year, I improved my GPA from 2.8 to 2.9.
Its still not good enough for interview invites from any California schools

For non-california schools, my GPA isn't great neither but if I could ever score high on PCAT, I know I would get an interview at non-California school requiring PCAT scores.

you're right I should apply to non-pharmCAS schools like USN

thank you for encouragement. I hope I get an interview at Belmont too. But if I don't I wouldn't be surprised neither...:)

I don't know if I entirely agree with this comment...you HAVE to study for it, in my opinion. If he just took it a couple times with minimal studying, but then really spent a lot of time on it, I think you could raise your grade considerably. I don't, however, think it looks great that you needed to take it 4 times to get a good score. I hadn't had those pre-pharm classes anywhere from 9 to 13 years when I decided I wanted to go to pharmacy school so I studied my *** off for about 3 months and got a 90. I think I would've probably gotten a 50 as well if I didn't study much. :laugh: I actually kept track of my study time and I ended up putting almost 300 hours of study in, averaging 3 hours/day for 3 months!! :eek: Obviously it paid off. Also, I almost exclusively used the Kaplan and Baron's books and I thought they were rather good. Just try to work really hard and get that PCAT up...at the very least, it's the easiest thing you can do to help yourself. (As opposed to raising your GPA) Good luck to you...I hope you make it!

I also agree it doesn't look good to retake any class or the PCAT multiple times. At this point, whats done is done. Its better for me to reduce my work hours and really study hard and aim for a high score or forget pharmacy as a career

My weakness in the past was I took up on too many things in my life (work, leadership in volunteering, leadership in social events) all at once. In the end, my grades suffered. not smart.

Like many people, when I focus on the most important thing which is my career; I know its not if I will reach my goal; its when I'll get there.

thank you guys for all your comments.

Let me know which study material best helped you guys prepare for the PCAT. :)