Medical Would my shadowing and volunteering abroad be looked down on? (Not medical mission trip)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non traditional student (American) living in Turkey. I have been living here for 3 years and even gave birth to my first child here. After my awesome experience with my OBGYN at the local hospital, I’ve decided to change career paths, move back to the US and start a DIY post bacc. Before moving, I plan to shadow my OBGYN and do some clinical volunteer work here in Turkey. However, I have read that adcoms can view any work abroad as voluntourism and I’m afraid to be lumped into that category.

I think you misunderstand the concept of "voluntourism" and why it is viewed as superficial experience (to possibly unethical depending on what the applicant did). In those situations (spend one week in a country in need working in a medical mission), one is not allowed to even touch a patient as if taking a physical. Since you have been living in Turkey, your shadowing experience is fine to list, but questions will remain on whether you have any insight into the US health care system and its nuances since that's where your medical school clinical preceptoring will occur. We advise all strong applicants to be in a situation with direct patient contact when it comes to conversation or care, especially in the US health care system (100-150 hours). We also have no information about your academic history or your interest in other areas of medicine outside OBGYN.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for your response! Sorry I didn't provide more background information. My response below got a little longer than expected, but I would appreciate any general advice you could offer pertaining to my overall situation. Not sure about my chances given my past GPA.

My degree is in Finance, however I started undergrad as a biology major. I always knew I wanted to be a doctor, but I never knew what it actually took to get there (I'm an African American from the south, never knew a doctor outside of my pediatrician or someone that had studied past a bachelor's degree). A lack of study skills and mentoring led to a mediocre performance my first two years. At the same time I was a D1 athlete in two sports, one took place in the fall and the other during spring. Since both sports paid for my school, I was forced to change my path as to not risk my eligibility. Honestly, I'm glad I was forced to quit at the time before I caused more damage. After graduation I worked in corporate finance for 3 years and now have been working as an English teacher in Turkey for the past 3 years(moved due to husband's job).

My interest isn't necessarily in OBGYN, but my doctor re-ignited that spark and joy I had for being in service to others. During my most difficult and scary moments of my pregnancy and trying to conceive she was knowledgeable, empathetic, made me feel heard and alleviated my concerns. I want to be that for others, but not in the same specialty. During my time here, I have also been teaching myself Turkish. Because I had a clear goal in mind, I developed study habits that I never had during undergrad. I found a system that worked for me and finally realized I could apply this in school and be a different student than the one of 6 years ago. With that said, I do plan to get most of my clinical volunteering and shadowing in the US. I have about 4 months until I am able to move back and start classes. I would like to do the additional shadowing and volunteering in Turkey if it would be seen as a positive addition, not negative, to my hours in the US. By Fall 2020 I plan to start a 2-3 year DIY post bacc at my local 4 year university and establish some long term clinical and non-clinical volunteering opportunities. I'm starting in a hole thanks to undergrad, but I'm willing to prove myself. I will most likely be 30 or 31 when I'm ready to apply. I've studied Goro's guide for reinvention up and down, but I would appreciate any additional suggestions.

Interesting back-story. My first thought: why not start anew with a second bachelor's degree entirely (I don't know about your transcript but I suspect there's not much on the science coursework)? This would alleviate concerns about having prerequisites taken way too far back in time (do prerequisites expire? question). You won't have to take your bachelor gen ed requirements because you already have a bachelor's in hand. This technically could be a DIY postbac, but I think having a true full undergraduate focused schedule without the demands of D1 varsity sports may do you well. Being an older student isn't horrible, but finding good sponsors and mentors will be very important. (I had a former advisee who was a professional athlete who returned to undergraduate to be premed/get into medical school. He was successful after taking about 3 years of courses.)

I would try to find connections with local medical associations (once you get back to the US), especially those affiliated with minority populations such as the National Medical Association. The physicians you shadow should be familiar with them as well as the local American Medical Association chapter (which is more prolific). Then connect with students through the NMA and admissions staffers at local schools of interest, especially osteopathic programs. However, some allopathic programs may be very interested in you if you have a strong transcript and MCAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.