Would Medical schools favor someone in Uni vs College?

Fai

One who wants to be many
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I ask this because apparently Medical Schools prefer Uni students over College students from what my graduate friends tell me.

I'll give a scenario, There's two applicants for Hofstra Medical. One attends Hofstra College and the other attends NYU. Hosftra applicant has a GPA of 3.7 and did really well on his MCAT, and the NYU applicant has a GPA of 3.5 but did slightly better on the MCAT than the Hosftra applicant.

Now I know I didn't give a scenario of the same GPA with similiar MCAT scores but do medical schools really favor Uni students and do they care more about GPA or MCAT? (I know, both is a factor)

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

In the case of Hofstra and NYU, the words "College" and "University" are just names. The distinction is meaningless.

University and College are just names. However there is a difference between Community College and the previously mentioned names!! Not all schools will accept community college credit. Medical schools prefer that you take your premed coursework at a proper college/university.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, okay thanks! Apparently there's a difference from what I know that Universities are for students who are sure about what they want to be and college is more "easy-going" for those who are on the fence, and Unis can offer Grad degrees and Colleges can't.

Must've heard wrong then ._.

As far as I know, they're just names. University adds reputation perhaps? But I'm acquainted with both Hofstra and NYU and I'd pick Hofstra over NYU any day (considering what I get for my money).

I ask this because apparently Medical Schools prefer Uni students over College students from what my graduate friends tell me.

I'll give a scenario, There's two applicants for Hofstra Medical. One attends Hofstra College and the other attends NYU. Hosftra applicant has a GPA of 3.7 and did really well on his MCAT, and the NYU applicant has a GPA of 3.5 but did slightly better on the MCAT than the Hosftra applicant.

Now I know I didn't give a scenario of the same GPA with similiar MCAT scores but do medical schools really favor Uni students and do they care more about GPA or MCAT? (I know, both is a factor)

Thanks in advance!

No. Undergrad institution name does not matter when judging the merit of your application. It's hard to say who would be picked in your scenario since you need more information about ECs and how each candidate does in the interview.

I asked the dean of admissions at a local medical school, and he said that generally, the undergrad institution does not matter, unless there is a huge gap in prestige (ie Harvard vs a local no-name state college). Also.... the words "university" and "college" don't mean anything on their own merit.

the undergrad institution does not matter, unless there is a huge gap in prestige (ie Harvard vs a local no-name state college).

No. I know several people from my local "no-name college" who've made it to Yale Med and Columbia.

By the way, Hofstra is a university as well.

Back in the day (this doesn't apply much anymore) a 'college' would mean all departments and divisions of education were housed under one general 'school'. A university would have several 'schools' (ex: arts & sciences, engineering, business etc...). This really doesn't apply anymore as college or university are just names. Boston College is not in Boston, nor is it a college. There is no advantage -- a name is a name.

by the way, hofstra is a university as well.

Back in the day (this doesn't apply much anymore) a 'college' would mean all departments and divisions of education were housed under one general 'school'. A university would have several 'schools' (ex: Arts & sciences, engineering, business etc...). This really doesn't apply anymore as college or university are just names. Boston college is not in boston, nor is it a college. There is no advantage -- a name is a name.

+1

No. I know several people from my local "no-name college" who've made it to Yale Med and Columbia.

Knowing a couple people who went to Yale Med and Columbia does not mean that school prestige is meaningless. It certainly plays a role, although grades are definitely MORE important factors.

Knowing a couple people who went to Yale Med and Columbia does not mean that school prestige is meaningless. It certainly plays a role, although grades are definitely MORE important factors.

No. Undergrad institution does not matter. Period. The application process is more holistic (From what LizzyM has repeatedly emphasized) and looks more at what you have done rather than which school you attended.

Straight from the horses mouth:

PaulWhiteHopkins (May 31, 2006 5:46:07 PM)
Linda: We really make an effort to look at the individual, not the school he/she attended. In a class of 121 students, we have about 70 different colleges and universities represented. I've been in admissions for 23 of the last 27 years and there are schools I have to look up still, but that's okay.

Paul White is an ADCOM member at Hopkins.

If a Top 20 school does not look at your undergrad institution, then why will a lower ranked med school?

Link: http://www.accepted.com/chat/transcripts/2006/med05312006_hopkins.aspx

In the case of Hofstra and NYU, the words "College" and "University" are just names. The distinction is meaningless.
This.

If the 3.5 were accepted instead, it wouldn't be because of his school, either. There are many, many more factors that go into the process (PS, LORs, ECs, interviews, ethnicity, etc).