Would like some admissions advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetie02

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started out as a pre-pharmacy student at South Dakota State University. I didn't get accepted my first time applying to the program. After shadowing several pharmacists, I decided pharmacy was not for me. I have done a lot of research on the computer and in books on career choices. I have decided that optometry would be a great fit for me. I just graduated with two degrees: BS Chemistry, BS Biology. I ended up with a cumulative GPA of 3.56. I plan on taking the OAT in August and am going to be shadowing this month at various optometrists. I only made the optometry decision this last year, so I have not had the chance to do much. Any suggestions about what to do to strengthen my application? Also, any suggestions about writing a personal statement would be much appreciated! I'm hoping to get in at the Illinois College of Opt.

Members don't see this ad.

I started out as a pre-pharmacy student at South Dakota State University. I didn't get accepted my first time applying to the program. After shadowing several pharmacists, I decided pharmacy was not for me. I have done a lot of research on the computer and in books on career choices. I have decided that optometry would be a great fit for me. I just graduated with two degrees: BS Chemistry, BS Biology. I ended up with a cumulative GPA of 3.56. I plan on taking the OAT in August and am going to be shadowing this month at various optometrists. I only made the optometry decision this last year, so I have not had the chance to do much. Any suggestions about what to do to strengthen my application? Also, any suggestions about writing a personal statement would be much appreciated! I'm hoping to get in at the Illinois College of Opt.

Try working at an office for a while in addition to shadowing various optometrists. I think it helps to see what its like week by week. Aside from scoring decently on the OAT, I think more experience should be your focus in preparation for admissions. When were you thinking of applying?

Well I am going to apply to schools this August. I don't have much time to prepare then! I thought my GPA wasn't too bad, but I know I need to do well on the OAT, which I will be taking in August. I have been studying all summer for the OAT. But I will only be getting in some shadowing this month! Is there anything else I can do to help my application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I am going to apply to schools this August. I don't have much time to prepare then! I thought my GPA wasn't too bad, but I know I need to do well on the OAT, which I will be taking in August. I have been studying all summer for the OAT. But I will only be getting in some shadowing this month! Is there anything else I can do to help my application?

To me, it looks like the lack of experience would be the most glaring deficiency on your application. If you can wait a year, that much more experience will help your application out tremendously. I suppose it's worth a shot if you really feel dead set on it, but I would still recommend getting more experience for yourself as well as your application.

I don't think you need to work at any offices to get in. I didn't do any shadowing until late in the summer of the year I applied. I did right at 30 hrs and got accepted to several schools. I certainly wouldn't even consider putting it off a year just to get experience.

I don't think you need to work at any offices to get in. I didn't do any shadowing until late in the summer of the year I applied. I did right at 30 hrs and got accepted to several schools. I certainly wouldn't even consider putting it off a year just to get experience.

I stand corrected! Go 4 it!

Shadowing is not just for applying. You should shadow and gain as much experience to make sure optometry is the right thing you want to do. You don't want to be the position of regretting your career choice. It does happens to some optometry students.

Shadowing is not just for applying. You should shadow and gain as much experience to make sure optometry is the right thing you want to do. You don't want to be the position of regretting your career choice. It does happens to some optometry students.

I understand that. I'm just saying from an applying standpoint, you shouldn't need to take a year off just to gain experience.

Well thats good to hear! I didn't think that it was necessary to work in an office, especially since most of the advisors I have talked to said shadowing should be plenty as long as you do enough of it to get a feel for the career. I would not like to have to wait a whole year just to apply. I'm hoping to rock the OAT and will let you know how I do!

Any other advice is always appreciated!