Would it even make sense to try?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sammysan97

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated with a BA in Human biology from Hunter College (a CUNY) in 2019, when I started I thought I wanted to do pre-med, but over the course of my undergrad my plans changed constantly and I went between a bunch of career paths. However, I did horribly in undergrad; I spent more time goofing off and partying then studying and the result was I graduated with a 2.98. Basically my grades are all over the place, some A's, lots of B's, a few C's, a D, an F, two no credits, and 1 withdrawal. In the fall and spring of 2017-2018 I spent some time volunteering in a hospital and basically decided that I should do nursing. After graduating I took AP1 and 2, microbiology, and some other courses, and I got into the accelerated BSN program at SUNY Downstate and my academics improved significantly. I buckled down and actually put effort into my classes for the first time and graduated with a 3.75. I've recently been hired as a surgical ICU nurse and while I enjoy the job, there's a part of me that regrets not trying harder for my first degree and I always find myself asking why whenever I'm giving a patient medications or doing something, and I find myself amazed by the knowledge that the residents and attending physicians I work with on my unit have. I know that at the minimum I'd need to retake physics 1 and 2, and orgo 2 (and probably take biochem) and take the MCAT before I even consider applying. Basically with how badly I messed up my first degree, would it even make sense for me to try going down this route or would it be a waste of time and money?

Members don't see this ad.

You could repair your GPA by retaking any failed prerequisites and earning high grades in a few semesters' worth of science classes (including any oustanding prerequisites). Successful medical school applicants also need to have a whole array of ECs, including extensive community service, clinical experience (you're covered there with your current job), leadership, and possibly research. Don't forget to factor in the time that you'll need to get your ECs situated.

Whether a career switch makes sense is up to you. You already have a great job. If you're curious about medicine, I suggest shadowing a physician outside of your immediate work environment, especially in the fields of IM, family medicine, or pediatrics (most medical students end up in a primary care field). During your shadowing, chat with the physician and see what they have to say about their career.

A week or two of shadowing should give you enough information to help you decide.